ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Evidence where salary/wages paid in cash

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hopingforchange
Newly Registered

Evidence where salary/wages paid in cash

Post by hopingforchange » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:17 pm

I am about to apply for an extension to my tier 1 visa and will be claiming points for income from September 2011 to August 2012. The majority of the income will come from my current job, which pays me a good salary and for which I have all the proper evidence. However, to get sufficient points I also need to include income from the job I had from September 2011 to March 2012, where unfortunately I was paid in cash (less tax and National Insurance).

The evidence I have to support that income is:

1. Letter from employer with statement of earnings for the exact period claimed. Letter confirms I was paid in cash.

2. Bank statements for period claimed showing cash deposits equivalent to roughly the net pay shown in the statement of earnings (I didn't deposit the full amount each month as I would keep back the spare change).

3. Letter from HMRC showing record of employment from April 2011 to March 2012.

Strictly speaking my bank statements do not meet the guidance criteria as the income amounts do not exactly match and the deposits are cash rather than direct debits. I am hoping that there is another way I can corroborate the letter from my employer. I thought the HMRC letter might help as it at least shows that I paid tax in this job, although it's certainly not perfect.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 am

you need to submit 2 pieces of evidence...did you get the payslips for that period (this could be one proof)..another proof could be statement of earning letter or letter from HMRC showing the employment history...

hopingforchange
Newly Registered

Post by hopingforchange » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 pm

I have a few of the payslips but they didn't always provide them to me (unhelpful, I know). This is why i have got a statement of earnings from the payroll provideer, which shows my gross pay, tax, national insurance, and net pay for each month that I am claiming.

I'm not sure that they payslips would add anything as they would also be from my employer, so the same source as the statement of earnings (which I have got stamped and signed, and backed up by a letter to confirm it is genuine).

I do have the HMRC letter, but it is for the full financial year and so doesn't back up the actual amount of income I am claiming for (the guidance mentions this point).

Do you think the HMRC letter would still be helpful anyway? Any suggestions for a second source of evidence?

Thank you.

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm

yes it would be.....

hopingforchange
Newly Registered

Post by hopingforchange » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm

gaurav76.5, thanks for your help. On what basis do you suggest the HMRC letter will be helpful? From a common sense perspective it seems to me it should be, but the guidance suggests it isn't a source of evidence if it doesn't match the period claimed.

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:03 pm

buddy
.the letter from hmrc will indicate the start date and end date of period alsi it will include your tax and NI contribution..
this could form another piece of evidence for your income where you were getting cash for your work...
Buddy I am just trying to help you if you want to confirm this with an immigration solicotor you can go ahead and do it...but they will suggest you the same thing...

hopingforchange
Newly Registered

Post by hopingforchange » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 pm

The HMRC letter shows my gross income and tax for the 2011/2012 tax year. I am claiming points for income from Sept 2011 - March 2012. The UKBA guidance says the following about this at 114(iv):

"Please note that because tax documents are usually produced at the end of a fixed tax period they will not necessarily show the entire period for which the applicant is claiming previous earnings unless they are for the exact period claimed. An applicant should therefore be cautious about using these documents unless he/she is sure they show the exact amount of earnings for which he/she is claiming points."

I have been advised by an immigration lawyer and they haven't come across this situation before. For employment income, the guidance only suggests bank statements as a second source of evidence, and mine are problematic as I was paid in cash.

I was hoping someone who had experienced this situation or similar could help.