ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR in Glasgow, an overstayer experience

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mfreidin

ILR in Glasgow, an overstayer experience

Post by mfreidin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 am

Hi all,

Want to share with you my experience in getting ILR. The case is not trivial, therefore, may be of interest.

I entered the country on 26th March 2007 as WP holder, got Tier 1 general on 6th April 2009 till 6th April 2012.
On 19th March 2012 I submitted my ILR application by post. On 22th my bank called me and said my card which I used to pay for the application was blocked as they suspected it was illegally copied :shock:. Coincidently, same day the HO hit my account to take out money for the application and failed due to this stupid hiccup. I called HO hundred of times, sent them letters (to Croydon and Liverpool), and faxes. I also sent my new card details to Sheffield Charging Support team. People on the phone were polite and kind but couldn't help as my application was not in the database even after a couple of months. Croydon responded that they noticed my address change (?). Liverpool responded to fax that my application was rejected as invalid and I will receive my documents shortly. Finally, I got my documents back on 30th May, after 2.5 months! Application was invalid as no payment was taken. I was terminated from the job then.

I seek for help with solicitors. The solicitor failed to get an appointment as everything was fully booked till the end of July. I worked it out myself using the on-line system. Luckily, there was an appointment on the 5th July in Glasgow. Presumably, a cancellation 'cause the next nearest was on the 26th July anywhere.
The solicitor prepared quite a letter to explain the situation. He also called to Croydon and Glasgow to check if in general they would consider the case. They confirmed they would. Provided that it was me who booked the appointment, the solicitor could not come with me. I paid in advance this time using the payment form for Glasgow and Cardiff.

The documents I took to Glasgow:
1. Cover letter from solicitor
2. Passports
3. Application forms (new and old just in case)
4. Letter from the bank confirming the card block
5. Fax I sent to HO as a proof of my attempts to figure it out
6. Few letters from employers including a confirmation that they would be happy to recruit me again as soon as I have my visa sorted
7. Payslips for all 5 years
8. 4 POs plus one letter from previouse employer as a substitution
9. Bank statements for 5 yers
10. LITUK for me and ESOL certificates and letter from college for my wife.
11. 3rd party financial support docs
12. Birth certificates for children plus validated translation
13. Marriage certificate plus translation
14. Police registration certificates
15. My daughter school reference (advised by the solicitor)
16. Council tax and utility bills as a proof of cohabitation.
17. Old work permit.
18. Tenancy agreements for 5 yrs.

Copies of all above.

Entered at 10.30, got a security check, after 5-10 minutes was called for initial check.
First intention of the officer was to kick me out as an overstayer, but I persuaded him to consider the situation as it was just stupid coincidence plus slow processing of the case by the HO plus pre-Olympic booking boom. He was not happy, but went to check something for 10 minutes then called me and said he would move the case forward. What a relief )))

He asked for financial stuff for last 12 months (not for the period stated in the application form), which I had. Out of the bunch of docs I had, he collected only the bank letter, my fax thing, employer letters, 12 payslips, 12 bank statements, language stuff, and photos. Also a confirmation of payment (a letter from HO).

In about 20 minutes we were invited to biometrics, which was the funniest part as the guy was really friendly and welcomed us to the country.

In 10-15 mins I was called and the case worker lady asked me for police registration certificates. Then she said she would call me back again in due time.

We waited for about 40 minutes and then were called and said we were granted the ILR! She passed me a letter re the BRPs and congratulated us :D We left at 13.30.

The BRPs arrived on 16th July to my solicitor.

Now I am sorting out the return to work.

So, fellas overstayers, don’t lose your hearts, there is a chance your ILR can be sorted out.

Good luck, everyone.

diggingdeep

Post by diggingdeep » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and goodluck for the future.

Smam

Post by Smam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:41 am

Hi

Lots and lots of heartiest congratulations on getting your ILR and thanks a lot for sharing your PEO expeirence with us on the forum.

You've mentioned that the CW asked the Police Registration Certificate from you if you dont mind asking me is your country comes in the list of the Countries which needs a Police Certificate for their ILR application for eg I my self is from India and many of my friends who got their ILR approved never ever submitted the police certificate when applying for their ILR. As many of the South East Asian specially India,Pakistan,Srilanka and Bangladesh are not the list of those countries who requires a Police Registration Certificate to apply for their ILR.

Many thanks and waiting for your reply.

Good luck for the future.

mfreidin

Post by mfreidin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 am

Hi there

I am from Russia and we are in the list of countries requiring registration with the police.

Good luck to you, too

bigchemist
Newly Registered

Re: ILR in Glasgow, an overstayer experience

Post by bigchemist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:29 am

mfreidin wrote:Hi all,

Want to share with you my experience in getting ILR. The case is not trivial, therefore, may be of interest.

I seek for help with solicitors.

The documents I took to Glasgow:
1. Cover letter from solicitor

So, fellas overstayers, don’t lose your hearts, there is a chance
Well done and congrats! I just wonder if you can shed some light on what wording did your solicitor use?

I am on board the 06:28 train from worcester to Glasgow in a second attempt at a PEO. So all advise is welcommed!

brij4134

Re: ILR in Glasgow, an overstayer experience

Post by brij4134 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Many congrats to you.
If you don't mind can you give me your solicitor contact details.
I need to apply for ILR in early November so if you can help me.
Thanks in advance and will wait for your reply
Brij