ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What to do if someone's here illegally?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DCLane
Newly Registered

What to do if someone's here illegally?

Post by DCLane » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:34 am

I had a coffee whilst out this morning with someone and in our conversation (albeit roundabout) it turns out he's here illegally and is working illegally (cash in hand with no records).

What:

a) Should he do? He's been here for 2 years and doesn't have a permit to be here or records.

b) Should I do? Should I be reporting him or (preferably) advising him to contact immigration.

I'm not sure if I'll see him again, but advice would be useful.

TIA.

Merdok
Newly Registered

Re: What to do if someone's here illegally?

Post by Merdok » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:10 pm

DCLane wrote:I'm not sure if I'll see him again, but advice would be useful.
It's a shame u have not got a spare cuffs.. In this case u can use any chain and a padlock. I would chained him to the heating pipes, call for neighbours, and have a concilium - what to do.. read some The Sun, they normally got plenty of advice who they are and what they deserve.. be prepared to deploy immediate actions.. Best of luck!!

Rawling

Post by Rawling » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:20 pm

What would you like somebody to do to you if you were him in his position. (Put yourself on his shoes). Do you think he enjoy that life?

Was he happy when he was telling you his story.

Then do what you would like other people to do to you if the situation were reversed.

Rawling

adindas

Post by adindas » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:38 pm

As far as I know this forum policy is intended to provide legal infomration NOT "illegal information" that could be be used by other people in similar circumstances.

If you want legal information, seek professional help such as ammesty international, immigartion lawyers, etc. Otherwise contact the immigration officer and tell them the truth and take it from there.

Adindas
DCLane wrote:I had a coffee whilst out this morning with someone and in our conversation (albeit roundabout) it turns out he's here illegally and is working illegally (cash in hand with no records).

What:

a) Should he do? He's been here for 2 years and doesn't have a permit to be here or records.

b) Should I do? Should I be reporting him or (preferably) advising him to contact immigration.

TIA.

DCLane
Newly Registered

Post by DCLane » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:57 pm

adindas wrote:As far as I know this forum policy is intended to provide legal infomration NOT "illegal information" that could be be used by other people in similar circumstances.
I'm simply asking for advice.

Yes - I know he's here illegally - so *what should I/he do*?

I'm a UK resident (have always been) and therefore am unsure of the official approaches, let alone the unofficial ones.

David

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:31 pm

DC,

with all due respect, I think you should live and let live.

Rogerio

bertram
Newly Registered

Post by bertram » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:53 pm

Rogerio wrote:DC,

with all due respect, I think you should live and let live.

Rogerio
Why should anyone bother with entering the country legally then.
I think it was fair question.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:46 pm

DCLane wrote: Yes - I know he's here illegally - so *what should I/he do*?
Why do you think you/him should/should not do something?

If you want to help him, then just mention between the lines that it is not possible to change his status from illegal to legal without leaving this country unless he is prepared to slave here for 14 years.

If you do not want to help him - don't discuss the topic and mind your own business. He will then make his own choice and decides where to go.

DCLane
Newly Registered

Post by DCLane » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:27 pm

Why do you think you/him should/should not do something? [/quote]

Maybe because he's unsure of what to do next since everyone he knows has gone back (legally).
Jeff Albright wrote: If you want to help him, then just mention between the lines that it is not possible to change his status from illegal to legal without leaving this country unless he is prepared to slave here for 14 years.
Thanks - that's what I wanted to know.

David

hammad
Newly Registered

here illegaly

Post by hammad » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:34 pm

Last edited by hammad on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:15 pm

DCLane wrote:I had a coffee whilst out this morning with someone and in our conversation (albeit roundabout) it turns out he's here illegally and is working illegally (cash in hand with no records).

What:

TIA.
I really don't understand where you're coming from. You seem to want to help this person and yet at the same time you're considering reporting him? That's despicable.

If you really want to help this person you can mind your own business and let him get on with his life. But you certainly will not be helping him by reporting him. Being an illegal immigrant is a victimless civil offence (note: not a crime, at least not yet) and therefore you will be doing no-one any favours by shopping this guy.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:32 pm

"Being an illegal immigrant is a victimless civil offence (note: not a crime, at least not yet)".

Working illegally isn't victimless though is it?

If you want to report him, info can be found here: http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... legal.html

"If you want to report someone you believe to be working in the UK illegally, you should contact us in writing at this address:

Immigration and Nationality Directorate,
Home Office
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

Please provide as much information as possible. This will enable us fully to investigate your report."
________
Body Science
Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Who is the victim WoodieG?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:33 pm

The people here legally who are not able to get the job being done by the illegal.

And if tax is being evaded ..... all of us!
John

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:36 pm

"Who is the victim WoodieG?"

Music? Either that or what John said.
________
Hmsi