ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Write to MP about long Tier 1 (General) processing times

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pending2012
Newly Registered

Write to MP about long Tier 1 (General) processing times

Post by Pending2012 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Dear all,

I have seen on other forums that where cases are taking a very long time to be considered by UKBA, if you are registered to vote, it might be worthwhile to involve your local Member of Parliament (MP) to enquire on your behalf. I have not tried this process before myself but thought I should share it, as I have now just written to my MP about the delay on my application.

I was unable to get a PEO appointment and had to send it in via post 6 weeks before my visa expiry. I had attempted to get a agent or legal representative to help me, but it appears that they now need about 5-6 weeks notice to book in appointments (unless they have them already booked and allocated to them or a late notice cancellation), as the process for them appears to be less straight forward too. I have work travel plans at the end of August, which we have been moving around to try and accommodate my visa application progress, but there is only so much rescheduling I can do (a 3+ month wait would be difficult to manage).

I recently used the link below to write to my local MP expressing concern about the general visa application process, including the near impossibility in getting a PEO appointment (despite the extra cost related to that) and that due to what appears to be current delays in processing times above and beyond the published service standard of 75% within 4 weeks of biometrics being submitted.

I also expressed concern that it is not likely that my application will be considered before the expiry of my current vignette and as such, should something go wrong, I may not have the chance to submit a fresh application as my visa has already expired and this may create additonal complications to my case.

Website which helps you locate the contact details for your local MP: http://www.writetothem.com/

I would encourage everyone to fire an email to their local MP about the difficulties you are having in the Tier 1 (General) extension process. I suspect it is with all visa categories. However, please do not abuse the MP, as this is counterproductive and may make it less effective for everyone. Something may then be done about it.

I will keep you posted of any outcome.

Good luck!

P

subskn
Newly Registered

Update

Post by subskn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm

I was wandering if you have received any update from the MP. I am also in a similar situation, about to loose my as the Tier 1 visa expires soon and the employer is looking for some kind of stability in the position.
Any advise would be honestly appreciated. I have written to Home office for urgent treatment but was simply ignored!

Pending2012
Newly Registered

MP office has made contact

Post by Pending2012 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 pm

My MP's office contacted me via telephone today to confirm that they had contacted UKBA on my behalf and followed up on the progress of my application.

The MP office advised that they were only able to confirm that my application had been received and it is currently with a caseworker for consideration. My MP's office advised that they were not able to get confirmation of a commitment as to when it will be processed and what the timings were, but they suggested that I wait for another couple of weeks and if after waiting for a reasonable amount of time I had not heard anything further, they said I could get in contact with the MP office again and a formal request could be put in writing to expedite the process on my behalf.

So, I will now have to wait to see whether any action will be taken by UKBA after being followed up by my MP's office on my application.

I understand that a key to getting help from the MP office is that it is important that you write to the MP that represents YOUR area and that you are entitled to vote and registered on the electoral roll.

I am still waiting but at least received some confirmation that my application has not been lost. The first time I applied for a Tier 1, my application and original documents were lost by UKBA for 4 months and it then took me another month of following up with UKBA before they were finally found!! It was a stressful time indeed and I wanted to ensure the same did not happen again!

subskn
Newly Registered

Post by subskn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Just out of curiosity, which party is the MP from? Not sure if it matters!!

Pending2012
Newly Registered

Post by Pending2012 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 pm

I don't think it matters, but think it's Labour.

My understanding is that any Government department is required to respond to an enquiry from an MP in a timely manner. So, if you are able to convince your MP/MP office to enquire on your behalf, then it should speed up the process - the theory being that your MP works for your constituency so you should be able to contact them and ask them to help you on matters. Never did it before but I saw it on other forums and British colleagues confirmed that yes, MPs have greater enquiry powers than the average citizen, especially when it comes to a bureaucratic Government body like UKBA. I was not able to get through despite numerous attempts in writing and telephone, so it surprised me that the Mp's offce were able to ask about my specific circumstances - although I am still waiting to see if any action will be taken (it's only been a couple of days since they contacted UKBA).

piogau88
Newly Registered

Post by piogau88 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:43 pm

I will now have to wait to see whether any action will be taken by UKBA after being followed up by my MP's office on my application. Image