ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aaeran

Child British Citizenship

Post by aaeran » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:21 am

Hi,

I am currently on Tier 1 General Migrant visa and my wife is on Tier 1 Dependant. We will be applying for ILR in Jan 2013.

My child was born last week on 08 Aug.

I would to know if it is possible to directly apply for British Citizenship for my child once we have obtained ILR.

In the meantime, are we required to do anything for our child?

Regards,

Ankur

Glc

Post by Glc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:01 am

Once you are granted ILR, your child is automatically entitled to be registered as British Citizen under British Natonality Act section 1(3). The only documents required are uk birth ceritificate and evidence that you obtained ILR.

aaeran

Post by aaeran » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for your response.

I have looked on UKBA website and found the information on the below link useful:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... territory/

It clearly states that at the time of birth, parents must be legally settled in the UK.

The definition of legally settled is "Living in the United Kingdom with permission to stay here permanently (this includes indefinite leave to remain). "

My understanding is that Tier 1 visa is not considered to be legally settled.

If I am missing some information here, please could you point me to the right web page.

Regards,

Ankur

Glc

Re: Child British Citizenship

Post by Glc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:52 pm

[i]"I would to know if it is possible to directly apply for British Citizenship for my child once we have obtained ILR."[/i]

Hi, Ankur.

You asked if you can apply (register is the more appropriate term, as a matter of fact) your child as BC once you obtained your ILR and I replied accordingly. You're absolutely right, a tier 1 visa is not considered to be legally settled.

To further guide you through the MN1 application process, please refer to the links below:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... de_mn1.pdf

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=95747

Hope I answered your query.

aaeran

Post by aaeran » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for answering my query.

How long does the process of registration and passport takes? The link you have provided states 3-6 months. Is there an option to expedite the process?

I am planning to travel soon after I get ILR.

Regards,

Ankur

Glc

Post by Glc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi, Ankur. Just to clarify again, the links I posted are meant specifically for Children's registration for British Citizenship ONLY. If you have queries regarding your personal application for ILR please go to the Indefinite Leave to Remain forum so you can be given the appropriate advice.

aaeran

Post by aaeran » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi,

To clarify, my query was regarding British Citizenship and NOT about ILR. I would like to know the timescales for the registration and obtaining passport and if there is an option to expedite the process.

Regards,

Ankur

Glc

Post by Glc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 am

[quote="aaeran"]Hi,

Many thanks for answering my query.

How long does the process of registration and passport takes? The link you have provided states 3-6 months. Is there an option to expedite the process?

I am planning to travel soon after I get ILR.

Regards,

Ankur[/quote]

If you have immediate travel plans after your application then I suggest that you course it through NCS because then you get to keep your original documents including your passport. NCS just photocopies all your documents and authenticate them before forwarding them to HO. All these for a fee, of course.

The registration process can't be fast tracked, unfortunately. The 3-6 month approval timescale is just an estimate. In reality, some get theirs earlier, some much later. I read in one forum member's post that his child got the registration certificate in roughly 2.5 months.

On the other had, the first British passport applications for children (only) may use the IPS fast track service. You need to make an appointment by calling at 0300 222 0000. Your passport is not required, however, since your child obtained BC by registration.

Hope this helps. If I missed other important information, im sure the other forum members will gladly share their thoughts on this.
[/u]