ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 Extension- Salary Shortfall

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mannu1979
Newly Registered

Tier1 Extension- Salary Shortfall

Post by Mannu1979 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:35 am

Hi,

My Tier-1 extension is due in Oct,2012 and right now my salary is 10K less than the amount required for my Visa renewal.

I request you to tell me what are the ways from which I can fill this salary gap. Should I show as freelancing and wht documents i need to show for that or is there any other possible way.

Thanks

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:17 am

Aside from getting a second job or looking for something better paid, having a sideline in freelancing is your only option.

You can either form a limited company or become a sole trader in order to carry on your business. If you are unsure as to which then here is a good place to start your research - but research thoroughly before deciding:

https://online.businesslink.gov.uk/hub/ ... ewbusiness

If you have already decided that sole trader is the way forward then this link tells you what to do:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/index.shtml

As for what you then need to show UKBA, there is guidance on what documents are needed on the UKBA website. It's also repeated elsewhere on this forum.

Finally it's worth checking your contract of employment with your current firm just in case if your sideline is expressly forbidden (of course it's then up to you whether you tell them or not).

ankitv

Post by ankitv » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Finding another source of income is the only option. Now whether you operate it as sole trader or limited company is a next step to be decided.

As matthew said, you could do freelancing, you could work on weekends and extra hours to earn that cash.
The bottom line is everything you do must be proved before UKBA. So if you are working freelancing or stores, keep a formal record, accept cheques etc. Avoid taking cash.

feedback556
Newly Registered

Re: Tier1 Extension- Salary Shortfall

Post by feedback556 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Mannu1979 wrote:Hi,

My Tier-1 extension is due in Oct,2012 and right now my salary is 10K less than the amount required for my Visa renewal.

I request you to tell me what are the ways from which I can fill this salary gap. Should I show as freelancing and wht documents i need to show for that or is there any other possible way.

Thanks
Hi

Iam in the same situation as you...can you please share that what is the alternative you have thought of?Appreciate your help.

Mannu1979
Newly Registered

Documents needed for sole trader

Post by Mannu1979 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks alot for the advice.

I shall be really grateful if anyone can tell me what documents are required to be produced if you are showing yourself as a sole trader for Visa extension.

Thanks in advance.

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:26 am

You'll start by getting set up with HMRC:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/reg ... elfemp.htm

For general info on getting started in business then BusinessLink (a govt. site) is a user friendly site:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... ink.gov.uk
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

theroyale

Post by theroyale » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 am

Just to restate what someone else has already said: whatever work you do, avoid being paid in cash. There is no way to prove this, and this money earned is useless in the eyes of your Tier-1 extension.

Mannu1979
Newly Registered

Documents needed for sole trader

Post by Mannu1979 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies but still I have not got the answer of the question "what are the documents required ?" to show myself as a sole trader and proving the income from it as part of my total income.

Can anyone pls let me know that.

thanks

MB243

Re: Documents needed for sole trader

Post by MB243 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:01 am

Mannu1979 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the replies but still I have not got the answer of the question "what are the documents required ?" to show myself as a sole trader and proving the income from it as part of my total income.

Can anyone pls let me know that.

thanks
You will need to send UTR reference number letter from HMRC, NI contribution bill, highlighting the NI amount paid on bank statements, invoices to customers, contract agreements if any, personal & business bank account statements, payslips, tax returns for previous years if you were self employed earlier, letter from accountant showing gross amount from self employment after deducting operational expenses apart from other documents required for the application

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 am

Reading what is in here will answer your question:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

It's easy to follow so you can jump straight to the section you want.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

feedback556
Newly Registered

Post by feedback556 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Matthew

Can you please advise if a self employed (sole trader) need to make earnings from some limited company only or earnings made by working for an individual or licensed contractor are also valid ? Thanks for your help.

feedback556
Newly Registered

Post by feedback556 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:11 pm

feedback556 wrote:Hi Matthew

Can you please advise if a self employed (sole trader) need to make earnings from some limited company only or earnings made by working for an individual or licensed contractor are also valid ? Thanks for your help.
Hi, Would any member be kind enough to answer the above query.Thanks.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:17 pm

sole trader & limited company are 2 different things, a sole trader does not work for any limited company & a limited company director (or employee) is not called a sole trader
Manka

feedback556
Newly Registered

Post by feedback556 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Manka10 wrote:sole trader & limited company are 2 different things, a sole trader does not work for any limited company & a limited company director (or employee) is not called a sole trader

Hi, Sorry , may be I wasn't able to communicate my query properly.What I wanted to ask is that as a self employed(sole trader), is it necessary to have the clients which are registered companies only or my clients could be individuals as well?

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:01 am

advisable to have clients which are limited company...

simtiaz
Newly Registered

Post by simtiaz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi all,
I provide consultancy for self employed people and other immigration services. Happy to be contacted to provide personalize help with nominal charges.

proactive.education2010@gmail.com

sshah20
Pakistan

Post by sshah20 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi All,

I have a limited company and most of my clients pay me cash on the spot and I issue them invoice. I also prefer cash as cheques may bounce. the same amount I deposit in my business bank account.

will it be a problem in extension?

I have record of all invoices, which include the amount, name, address, telephone, email address of customers.

shah