ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aboudi

Life in the UK test

Post by aboudi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Would anyone know if taking the test before April 2nd (before they make it harder, more expensive and make it compulsary for ILR applications) would still be valid for ILR applications after April?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Taking the test? No! Passing the test prior to the new test coming in ... yes still valid on or after 02.04.07.

But why do you say the new test is going to be harder and more expensive? The evidence for that is where?
John

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:20 am

I would be very interested in solid evidence of the test changes being harder, more expensive, etc....

Anyone who's got info, please post (with links if you will).

Thanks,

The Admin

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Having just recently taken the test I can tell you that they could make it 100 times more difficult and it would still be a piece of piss.

We had 45 min to complete the test and half the test room had finished in 5 minutes. It's actually a bit of a joke and nothing more than an slight irritation.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Not sure what are the questions related to.
If they are about the systems like 'Whats does A&E means' I dont mind taking it. But it they contain questions related queen etc... then it would be really irritating to waste time learning about them.

Thats my personal view.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

tensailee

Post by tensailee » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:43 pm

I took the test today... as said above, it's really a tiny peace of cake... half of us finished in 5 minutes.. i finished in 4, got my certificate in 5 minutes!

It's consist of 24 multiple choice questions, but have to learn the official text book published by the HO in order to pass.

There is a document explaining the forthcoming updated version of the test in April, but had not mentioned the difficulties, fees etc. One thing it did mention though, it's as John corrected pointed out, that once passed the test, it'll be valid permanently.

here's the link to the document on IND website:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... eqanda.doc

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:43 pm

first2last4 wrote:Not sure what are the questions related to.
If they are about the systems like 'Whats does A&E means' I dont mind taking it. But it they contain questions related queen etc... then it would be really irritating to waste time learning about them.

Thats my personal view.
You're going to have to swear an oath to the Queen if/when you get naturalised, so you should start getting used to it now!

That said, the test is really so easy, they should be ashamed of themselves. Not to mention that the 'facts' covered in the Life in the UK book bear little semblance to the Britain we all live in day to day. Asking questions like 'who killed who in Eastenders?', or 'how much does a lottery ticket or a pint of milk cost?' would be far more indicative of assimilation of British culture than 'In what year was the Welsh Assembly formed?'

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:52 am

darksquid wrote:
first2last4 wrote:Not sure what are the questions related to.

Thats my personal view.
You're going to have to swear an oath to the Queen if/when you get naturalised, so you should start getting used to it now!

That said, the test is really so easy, they should be ashamed of themselves. Not to mention that the 'facts' covered in the Life in the UK book bear little semblance to the Britain we all live in day to day. Asking questions like 'who killed who in Eastenders?', or 'how much does a lottery ticket or a pint of milk cost?' would be far more indicative of assimilation of British culture than 'In what year was the Welsh Assembly formed?'
Of course nobody really mean the swear. They do it as part of formality.
And whats this stupid quention about Eastenders ( I beleive this is a TV SOAP) . If India would have such test , I would never expect any foreigner to answer such ridiculous question like "What is Mihir's baa's name in 'Kyuki Saas bhi kabhi bahu thi'"??? utter ridiculous....

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:38 am

first2last4 wrote: Of course nobody really mean the swear. They do it as part of formality.
And whats this stupid quention about Eastenders ( I beleive this is a TV SOAP) . If India would have such test , I would never expect any foreigner to answer such ridiculous question like "What is Mihir's baa's name in 'Kyuki Saas bhi kabhi bahu thi'"??? utter ridiculous....
Oh, my...I was joking! :lol: Of course it's ridiculous....the whole THING is ridiculous. I don't even watch Eastenders, and I don't buy my milk in pints, so I wouldn't be able to answer either of those questions. But I was trying to make a point about how the facts you are forced to learn to take the test are no real indication of assimilating the British culture. It's a silly exercise to help appease the tabloid-reading immigration-hating masses.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:45 pm

darksquid.... Nothing against your post. Just frustated with these rubbish laws.

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:00 pm

first2last4 wrote:darksquid.... Nothing against your post. Just frustated with these rubbish laws.
No worries...I'm frustrated too! They keep giving us more hoops to jump through, and we have no choice but to jump. And pay increasingly outrageous amounts of money for the privilege! :?

tvt

Post by tvt » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:12 pm

With the Home Office track record of capricious change of policies, I would not advise anyone to take the old version of the test if he / she needs to apply for naturalisation/ ILR post April 2007.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 pm

Negativity rules, eh, tvt?

Thebook is being revised / reformatted and the test is also being revised, but the Home Office have said there is no expiry date on a successful test pass.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

tvt

Post by tvt » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:35 pm

It's not negativity just pure realism. Don't forget that it is the same Home Office who promised HSMP holders that they would not be affected by future changes to the Immigration Rules. The Home Office have never clearly said that an old version test pass would be valid for new applications post April 2007. The No Expiry promise was made only in connection with the new version of the test. They could just argue that "no expiry date" means no expiry provided that the test material remains the same. In any case the Home Office may decide for example that they want all migrants to take the IELTS exam. Who knows what they got in their drawers?
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:14 pm

It was just an opinion, I was just being cynical in my thinking as the trend with the home office is to make things more expensive every year and if they made the test harder by basing it on a larger subject material more people would fail and eventually pay more!!!!! chashing££££££££££

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:52 am

I took the test last saturday and I was fortunate enough to pass it. To thos who will be taking the test ni the future, just read chaps 2,3&4 and practice the sample questions..I guarantee you will also pass it. I am not saying it is easy, but if you prepare well enough then that will give you confidence to pass it.

I was told not to lose the certificate because if I do, then I have to take the test again and pay £34!!! That is absolutely ridiculous..it is very evident that this is obviously one form of money-making scheme.

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 am

Congrats ...

Did you read the book or any website ?

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks.

I read the book and at the same time practicing sample online questions. Before I took the test, I was hoping not to encounter questions about dates and percentages and I was lucky I didnt encounter any. Only the dates and percentages that I found confusing sometimes.. example:

1918 - year when women above the age of 30 were allowed to vote.
1928 - year when women with the same age as men were allowed to vote.

Are you scheduled to take the test? If yes, then goodluck.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:02 am

jbinuk wrote:Thanks.

I read the book and at the same time practicing sample online questions. Before I took the test, I was hoping not to encounter questions about dates and percentages and I was lucky I didnt encounter any. Only the dates and percentages that I found confusing sometimes.. example:

1918 - year when women above the age of 30 were allowed to vote.
1928 - year when women with the same age as men were allowed to vote.

Are you scheduled to take the test? If yes, then goodluck.
Put like that it is indeed confusing!

Before 1918, women did not have the vote in the UK; there was universal male suffrage for those aged 21 and over (i.e. all men aged 21 or over could vote).

In 1918, partly as a result of the role that women had played in the Great War (World War I), women aged 30 and over were given the vote; the age for men was not changed and remained at 21 and over.

In 1928, women aged 21 and over were given the vote, and so all men and women aged 21 and over could vote.

(Subsequently, as we know, the voting age for everyone has been lowered to 18 - this happened in 1969.)

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks jbinuk. I have'nt booked the test. I am planning to write in 1,2 months.

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 pm

If you are due to apply for either ILR or Citizenship in the near future, I'd suggest for you to book a test as soon as you can. Then while waiting for your test, spend that time in reading the book and practicing questions.Since they have introduced the test for ILR, expect that there will be more people that will taking the test.

In my case, I am due to apply for ILR on mid-April but I decided to take the test as early as possible so that everything is in place before I submit my application. I booked my test before Christmas and the earlisect I got was Jan20.

jayj

Post by jayj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused when to take Life in the Uk test....I believe the new test will be available on the 2nd April. If I do pass the current test and eligible for ILR in September, would I need to re-take the new test(April) as my ILR is post April?

OR

Will the current test be sufficient for obtaining ILR?

Many thanks

J

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:10 pm

The Life in the UK test certificate has no expiration regardless when you took the test, unless HO will again change the rules and make it retrospective!! you'll never know what they're next money-making plan. But at the moment, you can take the test as early as you can.