ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EHIC vs UK medicard

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lolo82
Canada

EHIC vs UK medicard

Post by lolo82 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Good evening

I was wondering if anyone had insight regarding EHIC vs UK medicards. I have recently received my Residency Card and hold a EHIC from Ireland valid until 2015. I was wondering if I am still able to use my EHIC or am i required to apply for a Medicard and sign on with a doctor?

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 pm

I must have missed something in the 14+ years I am in UK now, using the NHS from time to time (no private health insurance), and my wife actually works in the NHS, but I have never heard of UK Medicards.

My understanding of EHIC is that it covers you for emergency medical treatment abroad (on short trips for holiday or work, within the EU but outside the country where you have your main residence) under the same terms as the residents of the country where you happen to fall ill. When you move from one country to another, you normally cancel the insurance in the country that you leave, and sort out new insurance in the country where you are going to live, and apply there for a new EHIC, as the one from the previous country would become invalid (even though the expiry date on it has not yet passed).

If you are now living in UK, then register with a GP as soon as possible, apply for an EHIC here and discard your Irish EHIC.

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Sorry about 'UK Medicards'. The nidirect website stated I would need a medical card. got the name mixed up.

Thank you for your help. I will register with a GP and apply for a new EHIC.

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:34 pm

were you applied eea1 and eea2 on self sufficiency basis and have attached ehic card or bought private medical insurance.

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:44 pm

no, I had applied for EEA 1 and 2 based on durable partnership with partner in full time premanent employment. I had been living in ROI for 2 years before moving to the UK.