ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving with Dual Citizenship USA/UK

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jennifer84
Newly Registered

Moving with Dual Citizenship USA/UK

Post by jennifer84 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 am

I lived in Scotland when I was younger and then moved to USA with my parents at the age of 9.

My father is a citizen of the USA. My mother is a citizen of the UK living in the USA. I was born in Scotland and according to research I have "dual-citizenship" because of my mother and the date in which I was born. I hold a USA Passport but no British passport. I have my USA Certificate of Birth Abroad and Scottish Birth Certificate.

I am now 28 and wanting to move to Scotland to spend more time with my mother's side of the family.

My question is, what type of documents do I need in order to work in the UK, apply for NHS, etc... to be able to legally live, work, etc...?

I'm having the most difficult time trying to figure this out. I don't know if I need to apply for a British passport, or even apply for a Visa, which in the case of the Visa I wouldn't see why I would need to being that I am automatically a British Citizen. I'm afraid to fork out money for things and none of it end up being applicable or even a waste of time and money.

Thank you for any information that you can supply.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:59 am

dagger20091
Newly Registered

Re: Moving with Dual Citizenship USA/UK

Post by dagger20091 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I think you should follow this link and download form ,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... territory/

Cheers

Dag

jennifer84 wrote:I lived in Scotland when I was younger and then moved to USA with my parents at the age of 9.

My father is a citizen of the USA. My mother is a citizen of the UK living in the USA. I was born in Scotland and according to research I have "dual-citizenship" because of my mother and the date in which I was born. I hold a USA Passport but no British passport. I have my USA Certificate of Birth Abroad and Scottish Birth Certificate.

I am now 28 and wanting to move to Scotland to spend more time with my mother's side of the family.

My question is, what type of documents do I need in order to work in the UK, apply for NHS, etc... to be able to legally live, work, etc...?

I'm having the most difficult time trying to figure this out. I don't know if I need to apply for a British passport, or even apply for a Visa, which in the case of the Visa I wouldn't see why I would need to being that I am automatically a British Citizen. I'm afraid to fork out money for things and none of it end up being applicable or even a waste of time and money.

Thank you for any information that you can supply.