ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

European ID card not accepted by UKBA?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:33 pm

OK, time to move on. If you want to discuss this further, please start a new thread.

javelin
Newly Registered

Post by javelin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 pm

You guys easily give in to futile arguments on unsubstantiated opinions about what the law is but when it comes to facts, solutions, results, they're nowhere to be seen.
Now I see why Directive won't answer. A quick read through this forum and one can easily see that the commission doesn't give a bucketload of warm spit to individual cases. Six months for a reply and a referral to solvit who I also had the privilege of finding that they are very skilful at impersonating moronic idiots.
The commission websites are very encouraging but a good advice would have been: this treaties and laws and whatever are fairy tales bollocks as far as enforcement for ordinary people is concerned and you are better of making your own law and avoid being extorted VAT and duties by all means possible.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:07 pm

javelin wrote:You guys easily give in to futile arguments on unsubstantiated opinions about what the law is but when it comes to facts, solutions, results, they're nowhere to be seen.
Now I see why Directive won't answer. A quick read through this forum and one can easily see that the commission doesn't give a bucketload of warm spit to individual cases. Six months for a reply and a referral to solvit who I also had the privilege of finding that they are very skilful at impersonating moronic idiots.
The commission websites are very encouraging but a good advice would have been: this treaties and laws and whatever are fairy tales bollocks as far as enforcement for ordinary people is concerned and you are better of making your own law and avoid being extorted VAT and duties by all means possible.
Ok, so now that you are an expert in why I don't answer, why don't you tell us what the Commission should do? How many people working full time would that take? How should they filter what they receive?

Try to describe it in less than 100 paragraphs. And try not to be gratuitously rude in the process. Go...

habibcs

Post by habibcs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
anp wrote:I believe Danish ID should be sufficient for your EEA1 & EEA2 applications
must be
Denmark does not have ID card.
Only photo card is the Driving License card, but one will not submit this for EEA1 or EEA2 because then the person either cannot drive the car both in London (UK) and Denmark.
If one applies with the Denmark passport, then one cannot fly out from UK to DK or Fly from DK to UK.
Is there any better way? ... in case somebody know this related to Denmark citizen and their visa national spouse.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:23 pm

habibcs wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
anp wrote:I believe Danish ID should be sufficient for your EEA1 & EEA2 applications
must be
Denmark does not have ID card.
Only photo card is the Driving License card, but one will not submit this for EEA1 or EEA2 because then the person either cannot drive the car both in London (UK) and Denmark.
If one applies with the Denmark passport, then one cannot fly out from UK to DK or Fly from DK to UK.
Is there any better way? ... in case somebody know this related to Denmark citizen and their visa national spouse.
Thanks, I stand corrected. My comment was that a EU issued ID card can be used instead of a passport. Of course, if the EU country doesn't issue them, then the passport is the only option.

Drivers licenses are not accepted by UKBA.

It is possible to submit passport and ask for it to be returned. This does not stop the application for residence documentation from proceeding.

anp
United Kingdom

Post by anp » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:20 pm

UKBA does accept EEA IDs, as previously stated. It was my understanding the the Danish ID (billedlegitimationskort) was the official Danish ID. Apparently, it doesn't seem to be.
Be good.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 am

habibcs wrote:Only photo card is the Driving License card, but one will not submit this for EEA1 or EEA2 because then the person either cannot drive the car both in London (UK) and Denmark.
EUsmileWEallsmile is right about asking for the passport back.

But on the topic of driver's licenses: For driving a car in Europe, there is no need to get a new driver's license in the UK. You can continue to drive with the Danish license in both the UK and in Denmark. You can own and register cars in both places.

anp
United Kingdom

Post by anp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:51 am

This topic underlines the core problematic issue of the EU--unification of systems.
Be good.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm

anp wrote:This topic underlines the core problematic issue of the EU--unification of systems.
Strongly agree, and I dislike the current system.

Apart from Denmark, the UK and Ireland also don´t issue IDs.

On the part of Denmark, this info is new for me.

In Germany, you were only able to get the German ID as a German, if you also live inside Germany. This has been changed (I seem to remember in November 2010?). Now you can get a German ID as a German worldwide, doesn´t matter where you live.

In Belgium similar story: As a Belgian it was possible to get an ID if you live abroad, but it looked different than the "normal" one. This was also changed (within the last 3 years, but don´t remember when), and now you can get a usual Belgian ID worldwide.

Inside the EU, you are "not obliged" to change your driving license when you move. In theory, you can stick to the old license forever.

In Switzerland, things are differently: You have to swap your EU-driving license for a Swiss one.

Interestingly the woman at the Strassenverkehrsamt in CH was pretty "angry" with me, when she saw that I have a German driving license, but coming to CH from Belgium. "So you never switched, although you´ve been away from Germany for more than 10 years?!?!?!" It was sort-a-difficult to get that conversation back on track, but now it´s getting too much off-topic...