ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension to Ancestry Visa-18 weeks and still waiting-help!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zoebaker1
Newly Registered

Extension to Ancestry Visa-18 weeks and still waiting-help!

Post by zoebaker1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 am

Hi,
I'm on an NZ passport and applied for an extension to my ancestry visa using FLR (BID). I have been waiting over 18 weeks and am interested to hear what sort of timeframes others in the same category have been waiting.

Details of my application are:
Posted application: Early March 2012
Letter confirming receipt of application from Home Office: 14 March 2012
Current Ancestry Visa expired: 15 March 2012
Biometrics completed: 12 April 2012

If you've also applied for 'leave to remain' (not ILR), I'd appreciate knowing how long you waited....I've already missed loads of booked holidays and am debating whether to cancel the remainder of my summer trips!

Thanks

Lizjenks
Newly Registered

Waiting and waiting

Post by Lizjenks » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Zoe
I'm I'm the same boat as you
I applied for extension of ancestry in early May,
application confirmation letter dated 22nd May
Did biometrics early June and now it's August.... Still waiting.

I have a holiday booked for 1st September and am thinking of cancelling so i can get my money back but my passport might show up?!

Have you got yours back yet?

Thanks
Liz

zoebaker1
Newly Registered

Post by zoebaker1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi Liz!

How rubbish is it! It's just mad that they can have your passport for so long without any explanation and for such a simple application!

I still dont have mine back, it's been 21 weeks now. I've just had to cancel a two week holiday I had booked at the end of August as I was n the same boat and thought I should try and get some money back if I can as it's not looking like it'll come through in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck trying to decide what to do. It's not an easy decision!

I'll update the post as soon as my passport turns up!

Good luck,
Zoe

becstar303
Newly Registered

UK Ancestry Renewal

Post by becstar303 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi there Zoe and Lizjenks

Just so you don't feel along in this, I am an Aussie living in London and I have been waiting for 12 weeks for my UK Ancestry extension (8 weeks since I gave my bio-metrics).

Application received: 15 May 2012
Bio-metrics letter: 23 June
Bio-metrics given: 25 June

I have also missed a summer holiday, about to miss a second (can't change it so will lose my money) and it is possible I will miss a third in September. All in all I will be about £2,000 out of pocket.

The most frustrating part of all of this is the lack of information. When I applied for UK Ancestry the first time from Australia, my visa took a week in total (I had my passport back in 7 days). The UKBA website suggests between 4 and 6 weeks. Hence why I booked holidays as I felt that it was feasible I would have it returned quite quickly. As you both point out - it is a simple renewal and not a complicated case.

The Australian High Commission informs people when processing times are slower than usual for some visas and provides an estimated processing time. Why can't the UKBA follow suit?

I'd be keen to hear when you guys get your passports back. Hope that you get a summer holiday - there is no point being in the UK if we can't travel!

Will also keep you posted.

Bec

davidalowrie
Newly Registered

Still waiting

Post by davidalowrie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi guys I am in the same boat as you. I'm a Kiwi with a straight forward renewal of ancestry visa. I sent my application off on 27 February, the sent letter of confirmation dated 28 February, I had my biometrics letter sent 21 March, I registered my biometrics 31 March, and today it has been 6 months without a word. I called up, as you can find out the status if you have been waiting 6 months or more, and it has not been processed yet. No other information was given to me and it was impossible to get anything else from them.

I have missed 2 booked trips so far and have a stag do in Spain in 2 and a half weeks which I am likely to miss. Absolutely dismal process system and I am shocked it could take this long.

I have an Autralian friend who recieved his approval 6 months to the day, so he has beaten my processing time now, he submitted his application at the beginning of February, 4 weeks before me, and got his processed at the beginning of August.

David

zoebaker1
Newly Registered

Post by zoebaker1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi David

Thanks for your note - wow, I can't believe there are so many of us in the same position.

I was disappointed to read the response you got from the home office following the 6 month deadline. I've been counting down to my 6 month mark hoping that I would be able to get some answers about why it's taking so long, but it doesn't sound like that will happen :-(

Sorry to hear you're probably going to miss the trip to Spain - it's awful missing all of these once in a lifetime trips with friends.

Good luck and let us all know when you finally get your passport back!

Zoe

davidalowrie
Newly Registered

Post by davidalowrie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi again, still no progress. I have asked my Australian friend to provide me with more details, and his process was as follows:

Applied: early Feb
Aknowledgment letter: Early Feb (had trouble with taking his payment so there was a delay in sending the biometrics letter)
Biometrics letter: Mid March
Enrolled biometrics: 27 March
Docs returned: 28 July
BRP received: 30 July

So it turns out I only registered my biometrics 4 days after! So there is clearly not a instance of processing those whom have waited longer as mine is as straight forward as they come. Which is the same as the rest of you.

This is all I can think about at the moment and is making life incredibly frustrating. I just don’t understand the randomness of the process for some lucky people getting theirs approved months before other people and the lack of communication...

I will definately post when I hear anything. I've been waiting 6 months and 7 days now...

davidalowrie
Newly Registered

Post by davidalowrie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Just an update, I contacted my MP yesterday for assistance with processing my visa, as I have still heard nothing. They have been very helpful, replyed within 2 hours and I got a call today from a representative for my MP and apparently my application hadn't been assigned to a caseworker!! It had just been sitting in a box in some corner. With the extreme level of incompetence at the UKBA I would expect the worst at all times from them. I would hope that all of you out there waiting 6 months contact your MP's and ask them to help, it may get you somewhere.

My application has now been assigned to a case worker and should be processed in the next 4 weeks (apparently this is the timeline for priority!)

So I miss the Stag Do in Spain which fly's out tomorrow, my 3rd trip missed.

Let me know how you are getting on with your visa progress,

zoebaker1
Newly Registered

Post by zoebaker1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Wow! That's mental. Though as you say, it doesn't surprise me given how incompetent they are.

I'm really glad you have such a great MP and they've managed to help sort it out. Fingers crossed you get your passport back in under the 4 weeks.

I contacted my MP, who wrote to the Home Office, but they just replied to say that they would process it when they got to it. I've now just sent another letter to my MP in the hope that they'll chase the Home Office again for me.

I also complained in June about the fact that when I phoned the call centre they said it would take a max of 12 weeks for this type of application, hence why I chose to do this rather than go for ILR. I have just received a reply to say that the 'delay in considering my application is due to the high volumes of applications being received at the time my application was submitted'. It's a poor excuse!

It's now been 6 months and 5 days for me, it's so frustrating.

I'll update if I hear anything else! Good luck over the next 4 weeks.

davidalowrie
Newly Registered

Post by davidalowrie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi

I finally got my passport and docs back today. Hopefully I get the BRP either tomorrow or early next week. Huge relief, it has been 214 days since I posted off my passport.

My MP has been great, 2 weeks after contacting them I have my passport with an approved visa on the way.

Good luck to the rest of you, I'll be following the posts and hoping that they process everyones visa asap!

zoebaker1
Newly Registered

Post by zoebaker1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Congrats David! That's such exciting news!! You must be over the moon to be able to travel again.

I still don't have mine back but am hoping it'll turn up shortly - I'm scheduled to run a marathon in three weeks in Frankfurt so fingers crossed it turns up before then!

Enjoy planning a whole lot of travel to make up for the seven months you haven't been able to travel!

catherinewelham
Newly Registered

No luck for me yet

Post by catherinewelham » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi there,

I also sent my extension application in February and did my Biometrics on the 31st of March - unfortunately mine has not arrived yet:( I'm a teacher and was stuck here for the whole summer - not so good when one of my best friends had already booked to come over for our holiday to Europe which never happened.

I have also had my MP write to the Border Agency around the 6 month mark but it didn't seem to make much difference. I have just contacted him again but haven't heard anything yet.

Very frustrating!!
Catherine

Newly Registered

FLR (O) Ancestry visa extension from within UK (by post)

Post by 456 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 am

Hi Catherine,

Has your visa been processed yet? I'm also waiting to have my ancestry visa extended.

I need to get home as my elderly mother is very ill. I requested that my application be expedited on that basis and supported the request with a letter from her doctor. Astonishingly, the request was refused although they did invite me to provide further information, which I have now done. I was also required to sign a form that authorises them to send my application back if they decide that they cannot process the application quickly, which is very worrying.

My dates are as follows:

Applied: 31 May 2012
Biometrics: 31 August 2012
Request for expedition: 3 October 2012
Refusal of request: 4 October 2012
Further request for expedition: 31 October 2012
Reply: still waiting

It's hard for people to believe that it takes so long for a standard visa application to be processed. I spoke with one lady at the UKBA who said that she has worked there for 15 years and during that time she has witnessed continual staff cut-backs. She said that it's very dire in there as there's hardly anyone left to do the work. Voters don't care because they are largely oblivious to the appalling state of affairs. I don't understand why they can't at least publish where they are up to so that people can get an idea as to how many more trips they have to defer. Why can't they simple state that they are up to applications lodged in [X] month?

It's like being sentenced to prison for an undefined period. Human rights?

canuck75
Newly Registered

biometrics

Post by canuck75 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Have any of you had delays in receiving the letter for your biometrics? I applied on the 22nd August and still haven't received it. Very worrying especially with all your experiences and the fact that I am required to travel for work so the last 3 months have been enough of an issue!

cheers
C

Newly Registered

Post by 456 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi C,

I received my letter on 25 August, so 1 week less than 3 months after I applied.

Apparently they have just hired some contractors to help with the backlog. I'm in the same boat as you regarding travel for work. My colleagues in the States, can't comprehend why I have had to wait nearly 6 months (so far!) for a renewal of a straight-forward visa. I'm supposed to be over there in 2 weeks so I'm really running out of time now.

I hope yours goes faster.

K

canuck75
Newly Registered

Post by canuck75 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks K!

Fingers crossed I receive mine soon. I'm supposed to be heading to Canada in 4 weeks, definitely not ideal. I completely agree, this is crazy considering it should be straightforward as it's a renewal.

I've also just sent a letter to my MP regarding the misleading information on the website as it is obvious that 95% of visas are not being processed within 12 weeks.

Hope you get yours in time!

C

zoebaker1
Newly Registered

Post by zoebaker1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi all,

I thought I'd let you all know that today, on my 9 month anniversary of being without a passport, it turned up! Unbelievable that it's taken this long, but I am so relieved it's finally been returned.

It doesn't actually have a visa in it, but I think they send that seperately (fingers crossed!).

Good luck everyone.

Zoe

KH2013
Newly Registered

UK Ancestry Visa Extension - Timelines

Post by KH2013 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Hiya,

I've been watching this post over the last few months as I'm also extending my UK Ancestry Visa. See below for my timeframes. As it's now been six months with no update I'm getting a little fed-up with the whole process and am thinking of leaving (as the whole reason for me living here was to work and travel). If anyone has any experience with timeframes for withdrawing applications it would be good to hear from you.

Posted application: 28 July 2012
Letter confirming receipt of application from Home Office: 7 August 2012
Current Ancestry Visa expired: 28 August 2012
Request to complete biometrics: Not yet received.

I phoned the Home Office yesterday. They said that they still do not see my application on their system and that I now need to write to them for an update (they will send me a response within 20 days). The person I spoke to said that this won't speed up the process - it will simply require them to investigate why I haven't yet received a request to complete my biometrics (which I'm guessing is because they have such a large backlog of applications). Anyway, I thought this post might be useful for other people in the same situation who must be equally as frustrated.

The most annoying thing for me is that I couldn't even pay for the application to be processed at one of their centres. When I renewed my application in July last year there were no appointments available (even in Northern Ireland which I was prepared to travel to). I have also contacted both MPs in my area and none have been able to help.

Thanks,
Kathryn

opotemo
Newly Registered

Post by opotemo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm having the same problem.

Confirmation letter - 28/06/12
Biometrics letter- 4/01/13 (biometrics taken 12/01/13)
7 months and waiting
supposed to be getting married in April and will need my passport and visa by March, this could be a disaster.

matrix1211au
Newly Registered

Ancestry Visa

Post by matrix1211au » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

hi all

also having the same problem

Posted application: 17/09/2012
Confirmation letter: 25/09/2012
Biometrics letter - still have not recieved

Havnt had a single acknowledgement about what going on. Will wait until the 6months times is up (next week) and give them a call. If no information forth coming will try and speak to my local MP and see whats happens.

fmilne
Newly Registered

I had my biometrics done when I first got ancestry visa...

Post by fmilne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:13 pm

I arrived here in 2008 and had my biometrics done in Dublin (my mum submitted proof of ancestry original documents at the High Commission in Wellington); I can't find anything indicating whether I need to have my biometrics taken again, and I submitted the biometrics date-stamped appointment letter with my first visa application so haven't got it now to add to my other documents.

Do I need to have my biometrics done again? (surely not, isn't that the point?)

I'm a bit worried as my visa expires 18 Aug 2013 and I'm only starting the renewal process now as I assumed 4 months was loads of lead time.

Anyone else been through this?

EmmaKoch38
Newly Registered

Post by EmmaKoch38 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 am

Do you know how long it should take for the visa or its processing times
Last edited by EmmaKoch38 on Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix1211au
Newly Registered

Ancestry Visa

Post by matrix1211au » Sat May 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi all

finally my Biometrics Letter came in the mail (only took 7months)

Biometrics Letter recieved - 31/04/2013
Biometrics given - 13/05/2013

now been told to expect another letter in the mail in the coming weeks (probably an acknowledge of payment & biometrics recieved)

crossed fingers that I get my passport back soon -

Dion

matrix1211au
Newly Registered

Ancestry Visa

Post by matrix1211au » Wed May 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Hey all

My BRP finally came in the mail yesterday :P Have been told my passport and other documents to sent in the next 7 days.
Its finally over!!! I am looking forward to planning a holiday home in dec.

So to summarise;
Application sent in: 18/09/2012
BRP details taken: 13/05/2013
BRP recieved: 26/05/2013

Goodluck with your applications - hope it doesnt take as long

Dion

derpderpderp
Newly Registered

Post by derpderpderp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Things seem to be happening a lot quicker for me than expected:

11/06/13 Visa application sent
13/06/13 Payment taken
18/06/13 Biometrics invitation letter
21/06/13 Submitted my biometrics
25/06/13 Letter dated 13/06 saying my application has been recieved and will now be assigned a caseworker....
03/07 DX letter asking me to arrange delivery for a package from UKBA-BRP and documents returned.

So there you go- THREE WEEKS from start to finish. I have a feeling that's down to who I work for.....

:D