ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

quick question: Tier 1 visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Baleegh
Newly Registered

quick question: Tier 1 visa

Post by Baleegh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 pm

hi,

Can one study part time (in a university for further studies) while on Tier 1 (General) visa?

Is there any impact on extension / ILR by this? (if he still fulfills the criteria of points based on Tier 1)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 pm

No, theres no restriction that would stop you from studying while on a Tier 1 G visa. For either subsequent extension or ILR, what you need is to ensure that you meet the PBS criteria and other requirements at the time, i.e. as you normally would as an Economic Migrant.

Baleegh
Newly Registered

Post by Baleegh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 pm

thanks for the reply, is there any reference (link) if you're aware of? it simply means that even if you study to attain a Masters degree part time, it has no impact on Tier 1 status as long as you fullfil the PBS criteria.

The confusion I have is UK has different category for students (Tier 4). Please reply.
cs95tdg wrote:No, theres no restriction that would stop you from studying while on a Tier 1 G visa. For either subsequent extension or ILR, what you need is to ensure that you meet the PBS criteria and other requirements at the time, i.e. as you normally would as an Economic Migrant.

Baleegh
Newly Registered

Post by Baleegh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 pm

thanks for the reply, is there any reference (link) if you're aware of? it simply means that even if you study to attain a Masters degree part time, it has no impact on Tier 1 status as long as you fullfil the PBS criteria.

The confusion I have is UK has different category for students (Tier 4). Please reply.
cs95tdg wrote:No, theres no restriction that would stop you from studying while on a Tier 1 G visa. For either subsequent extension or ILR, what you need is to ensure that you meet the PBS criteria and other requirements at the time, i.e. as you normally would as an Economic Migrant.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:13 am

Baleegh wrote:thanks for the reply, is there any reference (link) if you're aware of? it simply means that even if you study to attain a Masters degree part time, it has no impact on Tier 1 status as long as you fullfil the PBS criteria.

Theres no specific reference which explicitly states what you ask. However you can take a look at the immigration law reference (245CA. Requirements for leave to remain) below to see the restrictions imposed on T1G migrants. As you'll see studying (either full-time or part-time is not mentioned).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... es/part6a/

It's true that there is a seperate immigration category (Tier 4) for those who initially enter the UK for the purpose of studying. But this does not mean that someone who is currently in the UK under a different immigration category which allows studying cannot do so.

People generally do not tend to study while on a Tier 1 G visa, as they would become ineligible for either a subsequent extension or ILR, if they cannot meet the previous earnings requirement for their PBS score. But if you are confident that you can because you will be employed and earning during this time period, then I do not see you having any problem in that respect.