ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canada visa timescales

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lara Richter
Newly Registered

Canada visa timescales

Post by Lara Richter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:01 am

We would like to immigrate to Canada as a family in 2012 under the skilled worker programme with no job arranged. We are currently scoring 83 points. I have read that processing can take up to 4.5 years, but also that it has taken as little as two years for the same scheme - which would be too early for us. For various reasons to do with UK work and children's education, we really need to go that summer. Are you asked at any stage when you intend to go? We are probably one of the few families who are happy to wait! We just need to make sure we apply at the right time. Can anyone offer guidance please?

bishopofnairobi
Newly Registered

You need to land in canada before immigrant visa expires

Post by bishopofnairobi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:12 pm

Looks like you have plenty of time. But nothing needs to stop you from applying early. I am not sure how long the typical immigrant visa lasts. Usually they allow you sufficient window of time to wrap things up and move. Another alternative is to land in canada and then immediately go back to your country of origin. That way you can keep your application alive. Here is an extract from the canadian official website.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/after-3.html

You will not lose your permanent resident status unless you spend too much time living outside of Canada. You must live in Canada for two years in every five-year period.

Lara Richter
Newly Registered

Post by Lara Richter » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:22 am

Thank you very much for this info, very helpful. Looks like we can land to acitvate and then come back to finish up. One less thing to stress about!

tariqyousaf64
Newly Registered

Post subject: Canada visa timescales

Post by tariqyousaf64 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Yes, it would be a good idea to apply early and then take the option of landing and returning to the UK. This will buy you the time to take your time as they say. I have friends who have taken that option to NZ.
Processing times in London are at least 24 months at the moment, and I would guess only going to increase not shorten. Don't delay, would be my advice and good luck, you won't regret it.
Regards TY

Lara Richter
Newly Registered

Post by Lara Richter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:28 am

There seem to be so many variations on waiting times for people applying for skilled worker category. Some people seem to be waiting just two years and other seem to be waiting the full 45 months and counting. We are thinking about putting the application in towards the end of this year, probably autumn, and hope for the best!

tariqyousaf64
Newly Registered

Post by tariqyousaf64 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:05 am

Dear Lara,

I'm really sorry but my post was unclear, let me try to be clearer.
:oops:

My understanding (CIC/general vibes/reading etc) is that NEW applications for 'skilled worker' are indeed UP TO 45-48 months !!
A possible reason for this could be that the London office is now handling applications from many other countries, or just damn incompetence ?

My person family application is currently being actively reviewed by CIC London and is now some 26 months old. We are expecting a positive response within the next 3-6 months. But to be absolutely truthful we don't know and the best quality to have in this process is patience(que - Nerina Pallot's excellent track, I need lots of music to keep me going!).

But please do not be put off by this, far from it. I have lived in West London (lot of planes !) for 40 of my 45 years and count myself as really lucky (and hard working). Insomuch I have a wonderful family, house, and up until recently fully employed since the age of 18. But how on earth are my two young children going to pay for property when they begin working, it's beyond me ?! Hence my decision was made two years ago, there really is no comparison between the two countries, of course Canada and Toronto are not perfect, but there is a chance to do well.

Anyway enough of my ranting, my apologies again for mis-leading you.
Regards TY :)

Lara Richter
Newly Registered

Post by Lara Richter » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 am

Hi tariqyusaf64

I understand the London office is overwhelmed with people trying to get out of the UK, likewise the Australia Immigration Service. The reduction in points required has also had big effect.

Like you, I love my home and we live in a really nice area, but my concerns also are whether my children will be able to buy property and have a fairly decent lifestyle when they grow up. We have been lucky so far but I wouldn't like to be here in ten years.

I am also concerned about having to undergo any major medical treatment under the NHS when I am older. Have had dreadful experiences with both parents and I don't want to get old in this country!

Good luck with your application.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:18 pm

Canada also has long medical waiting times. both countries have their failings and honestly I will never understand why citizens of developed countries emigrate.

For those of us from africa/asia, its apparent why we bother - no matter how bad the NHS or crime is in Uk ,its still 1 Million times better than what obtains in an african country ( we can exclude south africa).
My bow has been renewed

tariqyousaf64
Newly Registered

BINGO (never been actually)

Post by tariqyousaf64 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Dear Lara,
Just to let you know our medical requests came through this morning and these have been booked in Croydon (!) for this saturday.

Everything going to plan so far, next is the actual visa, then selling the house and fingers crossed the exchange rate keeping going the right way.

All the best.
Regards TY.

Lara Richter
Newly Registered

Post by Lara Richter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 am

That's fantastic news TY!

All systems go now then. I understand the visas are usually issued within three months of the medicals and you have to land to activate PR within 12 months of date of medical. Does that mean that your whole process will have taken roughly [i]three years[/i]? Quite a bit different from the 4 1/2 years quoted on the CIC web site!

Best of luck on Saturday and I hope all falls into place for you as you make your preparations. Exchange rate at present is great. Husband says if it keeps going this way it will make a healthy addition to funds!!

Have you done a recce visit or are you going to wing it?

tariqyousaf64
Newly Registered

Post by tariqyousaf64 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 pm

Dear Lara,

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.

Assuming I get my visa in three months say, the whole process for me would be 29 months. But my understanding is that the current queue is longer, quite how long I’m afraid I don’t know exactly.
Certainly my expectation when I tendered my application in Nov 2004 was 15-18 months and I based that from having two work colleagues who also applied via the skilled worker route.

Your husband is correct regarding the exchange rate, all my plans were done at 2.25 and today the rate is 2.32, just hope it stays that way for the next 4-5 months ! Yes it makes a considerable difference.

I have been to Canada and Toronto a number of times, the first some 19 years ago and the last visit was last Sept 06 and have traveled by foot, train, tram, metro, bus, car and motorcycle ! I have left nothing to chance, but it also helps having relatives there to guide you but nothing beats doing things for yourself. Funny enough the only mode of transport I have not used is a push bike and that one of the first things I’m going to treat myself too when I get out there !

I have my heart set on a new development by Taylor Woodrow (a British company which used to be based in Southall, Middx and I was their Mens Tennis Singles champion, some 10 year ago !) in a place called Ajax which is approx 8 miles east of Toronto. The price of a basic 2500 ft2 4 bed, 2 garage is approx £400K (£174K), not a lot of properties in West London for that sort of money! But we will see once we are out there.

So as you can probably tell I have not left much to chance and am absolutely confident in the move and its long term positive effect on my family and my finances.

Take care and good luck.
TY