ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP holder changing sponsor / job

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

timarli

WP holder changing sponsor / job

Post by timarli » Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi,

I am a work permit holder an entered the UK late 2008. And when I entered my job was in the "shortage list". Unfortunately it's not anymore.

At the moment it's quite likely that I will change my job/employer.

And I would really appreciate if someone help me by explaining two things:

1. What are the things that I need to double check - other than £35K.
2. By switching from WP to PBS Tier-2, what am I going to loose?

I remember reading some information on "transitional arrangements" a while ago but I somehow couldn't find it again.

(Btw my current salary is above SOC but under £35K but the new one will be above £35K and I don't have any criminal convictions.)

Thanks in advance.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Wed May 16, 2012 9:53 pm

One thing to check is that your new job is NQF6 or above (which you can check in SOC) because that will be a requirement for T2G from 14 June.

Your new employer is likely to have to carry out a RLMT and only if that is successful can they assign a CoS to you. Any job offer would be subject to that.

Although not directly relevant to the change of jobs keep in mind that next year you will be eligible for ILR and if you wish to apply it is important to observe the rules.

timarli

Post by timarli » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 pm

manci wrote:One thing to check is that your new job is NQF6 or above (which you can check in SOC) because that will be a requirement for T2G from 14 June.

Your new employer is likely to have to carry out a RLMT and only if that is successful can they assign a CoS to you. Any job offer would be subject to that.

Although not directly relevant to the change of jobs keep in mind that next year you will be eligible for ILR and if you wish to apply it is important to observe the rules.
Thanks for the reply manci. My occupation is under "NQF4 or above" in the SOC. And I have got a BSc degree which I think corresponds to NQF6. That should be OK isn't it?

Actually your last statement is what worries me. I want to apply for ILR and my only concern is if I change the visa from WP to T2 am I going to loose any of the rights I have at the moment. Because as far as I understand current WP holders are excluded from the new £35K rule etc.

timarli

Post by timarli » Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 pm

I have just compared the current rules there seems to be only one difference between them.

Paragraph (b) of Tier2 and Paragraph (ii) of WP

Requirements for T2 ILR

(a) The applicant must not have one or more unspent convictions within the meaning of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
(b) The applicant must not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal, and must not be an illegal entrant.
(c) The applicant must have spent a continuous period of 5 years lawfully in the UK, of which the most recent period must have been spent with leave as a Tier 2 Migrant, in any combination of the following categories:
(i) as a Member of the Operational Ground Staff of an Overseas-owned Airline,(ii) as a Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious Order, (iii) as a Qualifying Work Permit Holder, (iv) as a Representative of an Overseas Business, (v) as a Representative of an Overseas Newspaper, News Agency or Broadcasting Organisation, (vi) as a Tier 1 Migrant, other than a Tier 1 (Post Study Work) Migrant, (vii) as a Highly Skilled Migrant, (viii) as an innovator, (ix) as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant, a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) Migrant or a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Migrant, or (x) as a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Migrant, provided the continuous period of 5 years spent lawfully in the UK includes a period of leave as:(1) a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Migrant granted under the Rules in place before 6 April 2010, or (2) a Qualifying Work Permit Holder, provided that the work permit was granted because the applicant was the subject of an Intra-Company Transfer.
(d) The Sponsor that issued the Certificate of Sponsorship that led to the applicant's last grant of leave must certify in writing that:
(i) he still requires the applicant for the employment in question, and
(ii) in the case of a Tier 2 (General) Migrant applying for settlement, that they are paid at or above the appropriate rate for the job as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 Sponsors published by the United Kingdom Border Agency.
(e) The applicant provides the specified documents as set out in the application form for settlement and accompanying guidance to evidence the sponsor's certification in subsection (d) (ii).
(f) The applicant must have sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, in accordance with paragraph 33BA of these Rules, unless the applicant is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time the application is made.

Requirements for WP ILR:

(i) he has spent a continuous period of 5 years lawfully in the UK, of which the most recent period must have been spent with leave as a work permit holder (under paragraphs 128 to 133 of these rules), and the remainder must be any combination of leave as a work permit holder or leave as a highly skilled migrant (under paragraphs 135A to 135F of these rules) or leave as a self-employed lawyer (under the concession that appeared in Chapter 6, Section 1 Annex D of the Immigration Directorate Instructions), or leave as a writer, composer or artist (under paragraphs 232 to 237 of these rules);

(ii) he has met the requirements of paragraph 128(i) to (v) throughout his leave as a work permit holder, and has met the requirements of paragraph 135G(ii) throughout any leave as a highly skilled migrant;

(iii) he is still required for the employment in question, as certified by his employer; and

(iv) his employer certifies that he is paid at or above the appropriate rate for the job as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 Sponsors published by the UK Border Agency, and

(v) the applicant provides the specified documents as set out in the application form for settlement and accompanying guidance to evidence the employer's certification in sub-section (iv), and

(vi) he has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, in accordance with paragraph 33BA of these Rules, unless he is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the date of his application;

(vii) he does not have one or more unspent convictions within the meaning of the Rehabilitation of Offenders act 1974

- I couldn't find what are those "requirements 128(i) to (v)" mentioned in para (ii) -

Actually reading all of these together with the "Appendix I" which explains the changes that will come into force from 6 April 2016, I don't think I need to worry too much about changing the job. Even the £35K rule doesn't apply to me as long as I apply for ILR before 2016. Am I right in thinking this way?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat May 19, 2012 9:02 am

The current version of the relevant part of the Immigration Rules is here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part5/
You will see that paras 128-133 have been deleted, so any reference to them can be ignored.

You are right, the £35k pay threshold (which may be increased) will only apply to those who entered T2 under the rules in force from 6 April 2011, i.e. who will only become eligible for ILR from 2016

You may also wish to look at this document which is about the calculation of the continuous period of residence for ILR purposes:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

The T2 policy guidance from 14 June 2012 is here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ance21.pdf
By reference to paragraph 28 you will see that the NFQ6 requirement will not in fact apply to you when you switch from WP to T2G.

If you switch to T2G before applying for ILR the requirements for ILR are in Immigration Rule 245 HF:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... es/part6a/

keith5661
Newly Registered

Company bought over

Post by keith5661 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:26 pm

HI,

Hoping if you could provide some valuable insight. I have been on the old workpermit category, due for indefinete leave to remain Spet 2013. The company which I am working for has been bought over.

Does this affect my work permit status? Do I need to advise the home office of this change?

Thanks for reading

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat May 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello Keith
Your employer must report that they have been taken over. See:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... employment
They have to enclose a copy of the leave to remain stamp from your passport.

I expect UKBA will revise the employer's name on your work permit and be in touch with you but I'm not sure how this will take place.

The change in the employer's name should not affect your ILR application.

keith5661
Newly Registered

Thanks Manci

Post by keith5661 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:34 am

Hello Manci, Many thanks for taking time out to reply

Regards

Keith

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:33 am

keith5661 wrote: have a query about my wife's (dependant) visa and I will be greatfull for some advice.
On 13/8/2012 my wife was granted a dependant visa from India. I am currently on an old work permit scheme eligible for ILR next sept 2013.

My wife's visa has fortunately not been stamped with 'Doctor in training not allowed'.
Assuming I keep the same job with my company, after my ILR, would her visa status be changed to 'Doctor in training not allowed'?
Her visa validity is till 2nd Sept 2013, the same as when my work permit gets over.

I have got another job offer which means I would be now on the tier2 system. If I have to take this offer up, as my wife is my dependant, would they stamp her visa as 'Doctor in training not allowed?'
There are no work restrictions on dependant visas of work permit holders, that is why your wife didn't have the "no employment as doctor or dentist in training" condition on her visa. However this restriction will apply to her if you change your employment before getting ILR by switching to Tier 2 General. This is because she will then become a PBS Dependant.

When you get ILR next year your wife will have to apply for further leave to remain on form FLR(M). I haven't checked but doubt if there will be any restrictions on her working as doctor or dentist in training at that stage.

rbk1597

Post by rbk1597 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:04 pm

manci wrote:
keith5661 wrote: have a query about my wife's (dependant) visa and I will be greatfull for some advice.
On 13/8/2012 my wife was granted a dependant visa from India. I am currently on an old work permit scheme eligible for ILR next sept 2013.

My wife's visa has fortunately not been stamped with 'Doctor in training not allowed'.
Assuming I keep the same job with my company, after my ILR, would her visa status be changed to 'Doctor in training not allowed'?
Her visa validity is till 2nd Sept 2013, the same as when my work permit gets over.

I have got another job offer which means I would be now on the tier2 system. If I have to take this offer up, as my wife is my dependant, would they stamp her visa as 'Doctor in training not allowed?'
There are no work restrictions on dependant visas of work permit holders, that is why your wife didn't have the "no employment as doctor or dentist in training" condition on her visa. However this restriction will apply to her if you change your employment before getting ILR by switching to Tier 2 General. This is because she will then become a PBS Dependant.

When you get ILR next year your wife will have to apply for further leave to remain on form FLR(M). I haven't checked but doubt if there will be any restrictions on her working as doctor or dentist in training at that stage.
Actually if your wife entered UK as a dependant of a Work permit holder, then they can apply for ILR at the same time as you, meaning you dont have to worry about work restrictions for her on applying for your ILR

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 pm

rbk1597 wrote:Actually if your wife entered UK as a dependant of a Work permit holder, then they can apply for ILR at the same time as you, meaning you dont have to worry about work restrictions for her on applying for your ILR
that is correct, Immigration Rule 196E

keith5661
Newly Registered

Post by keith5661 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 am

manci wrote:
rbk1597 wrote:Actually if your wife entered UK as a dependant of a Work permit holder, then they can apply for ILR at the same time as you, meaning you dont have to worry about work restrictions for her on applying for your ILR
that is correct, Immigration Rule 196E
Thanking you all for your advice

Keith