ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

valid B1/B2 visa in an expired passport. Can it be used?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gani999

valid B1/B2 visa in an expired passport. Can it be used?

Post by gani999 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:37 pm

A friend of mine has a mulitple entry B1/B2 visa which is valid till 2014, but his passport has expired. He has a new passport now but will the US visa in the old passport continue to be valid ? I have heard somewhere that a person in this situation can travel to the US with both the passports, as long as the purpose of the visit is same as that for which the visa has been issued. Is this true ?

He is a South African citizen.

Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Re: valid B1/B2 visa in an expired passport. Can it be used

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:34 am

gani999 wrote:A friend of mine has a mulitple entry B1/B2 visa which is valid till 2014, but his passport has expired. He has a new passport now but will the US visa in the old passport continue to be valid ? I have heard somewhere that a person in this situation can travel to the US with both the passports, as long as the purpose of the visit is same as that for which the visa has been issued. Is this true ?

He is a South African citizen.

Thanks
From: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/fa ... tml#niv111

My passport containing a valid visa has expired. I've obtained a new passport; do I need a new visa?
If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport still can be used, provided that you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. Note: If, when canceling your old passport, the passport authority has clipped the corners of the passport, and, in so doing, has damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.