ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discretion to disregard Immigration time restrictions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

superman555

Discretion to disregard Immigration time restrictions

Post by superman555 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Can anyone help with some clarifications on the Home Office discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months Of the residential qualifying period please?

As per the below link, the UKBA says "If you have not been free from time restrictions for 12 months, we will normally use our discretion to disregard this if:

You made a successful application for indefinite leave to remain more than 15 months before your naturalisation application, but the decision on your application was delayed for a reason that was not your fault

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... trictions/

The reason why I'm asking is that I successfully applied for my ILR last year by post and it took the HO 5 months to decide the application.

So I'm now thinking of applying for naturalisation 3 months into the 5 months the application spent with the HO as that will make it 15 months but I wanted to know if anyone has done this or know someone who has done it before.

Grateful for your thoughts please

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 pm

it doesn't sound to me that you postal application has been delayed.

wait the two extra months and apply without discretion.

Brighteyes
- thin ice -

Re: Discretion to disregard Immigration time restrictions

Post by Brighteyes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

superman555 wrote:Can anyone help with some clarifications on the Home Office discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months Of the residential qualifying period please?

As per the below link, the UKBA says "If you have not been free from time restrictions for 12 months, we will normally use our discretion to disregard this if:

You made a successful application for indefinite leave to remain more than 15 months before your naturalisation application, but the decision on your application was delayed for a reason that was not your fault

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... trictions/

The reason why I'm asking is that I successfully applied for my ILR last year by post and it took the HO 5 months to decide the application.

So I'm now thinking of applying for naturalisation 3 months into the 5 months the application spent with the HO as that will make it 15 months but I wanted to know if anyone has done this or know someone who has done it before.

Grateful for your thoughts please
Wow, you had your ILR Granted in 5 months while mines took 3 long years. I wouldn't really classify that as a delay and I would take the advice of Jambo and wait the extract 2months and then apply without discretion just to be on the safe side as £851.00 is a lot of money to risk over a two month period discretion which if your application was to be refused you would not be able to appeal because you applied using discretion. And the only refund you would be entitled to is the £85 for the Bc Ceremony hosted by the council (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's only 8weeks and 8 weeks goes by very quickly. Then you submit your application the next day. My advice is to play it safe!!!