ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How does the Border Agency check my physical presence in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mgunther
Newly Registered

Post by mgunther » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello,

Despite my numerous attempts to find out whether the Border Agency holds any information on all border crossings from and to the UK from an EEA country, it is proved to be impossible to find any information.
The SAR request was unsuccessful, my phone calls or emails have not been answered satisfactorily so I seek advice from members of this board.

Before I send the citizenship application form, I wanted to make sure I entered the correct number of days for absence from the UK. Unfortunately I haven't got all airline ticket letters therefore this information will be inaccurate and absence might be more than allowed in the qualifying period.

My question is:
Does anyone know for certain the the Border Agency will check a database of border crossings or the residency requirement is decided upon evidence supplied in other forms such as P60's, bank statements, flat rental documents, bills, payslips...etc?

It is very important for me to find this out because there is a chance that my absence was more than allowed.

Many thanks
Matthias
Last edited by mgunther on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logicmohs
Newly Registered

Post by logicmohs » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:24 am

hi,
u need to see the stamps of border security checks on your passport (entry stamp in this country) and entry/exit stamp of visiting country. u can then calculate the amount of absences.
regards.

boloney

Re: How does the Border Agency check my physical presence in

Post by boloney » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:36 am

logicmohs wrote:hi,
u need to see the stamps of border security checks on your passport (entry stamp in this country) and entry/exit stamp of visiting country. u can then calculate the amount of absences.
regards.
I think he is EU citizen, so there is no stamps in the passport.

mgunther
Newly Registered

Re: How does the Border Agency check my physical presence in

Post by mgunther » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 pm

logicmohs wrote:hi,
regards.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately this doesn't work since I'm an EU citizen therefore there has not been anything stamped in my passport.
Furthermore, I usually come into the UK with my national ID card.

Does anyone know more on this subject?
Please let me know.

Regards

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Each time your passport / id-card is checked by a border force officer, the machine readable zone is put on a scanner. I suspect that these information (passport ID, place, timestamp) are stored, which means they could easily be cross-referenced with the information you provided for your naturalisation.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I would not worry too much.

The 450 days in not a fixed threshold and if you pass it, the CW can apply discretion. So assuming you are close to the threshold and you don't "forget" a 3 months trip, you will probably not cross the threshold by much even if you miss out some trips.

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:Each time your passport / id-card is checked by a border force officer, the machine readable zone is put on a scanner. I suspect that these information (passport ID, place, timestamp) are stored, which means they could easily be cross-referenced with the information you provided for your naturalisation.
I do not think it is legally possible at the moment to store travel data of EU citizens. Besides, the most "advanced" technology that I have seen so far seems to have been UV-lamps.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 pm

sum1 wrote:Besides, the most "advanced" technology that I have seen so far seems to have been UV-lamps.
Really? They always check mine with a scanner, usually with what appears to be an OCR640. No exceptions.

Anyway, I completely agree with Jambo. The Home Office small-print allows for a lot of leeway (under the condition that all other criteria are suitably met). So if you exceed the time limit a tad, keep calm and carry on. :)

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 pm

I have a question in connection to this...

One of my friend is self employed and running his own business. He is also a Tier 1 G migrant.

Now he is a frequest flyer sort of person going every where in the world for business. This includes travelling to EEA and non EEA countries.

He has definitely absences more than the allowed numbers.

Now the worst thing that happened to him, is he had a break in his house and the burglers took his laptop bag as well. His passports were in that bag, as he came back from Spain the same evening.

Since his all the stamps record are gone, what should he do now to calculate his period out of the country? Secondly his time period is more than the allowed limit, how he can proof to home office that it was the pressing need of business that made him leave the country, as he is not employed by some company.

He has asked for SAR and even on the report of SAR, they just sent him one embankment card.

Please advise.
The question is... to be or not to be....

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm

I guess he will need to sort this out for his ILR application and then just used the same info for BC application.

Nowadays most bookings are done electronically so he could construct his travels from email / e-tickets. Also, if he is has a frequent flyer membership, he might be able to get some dates from them.

How much above the limit is he? The HO can apply discretion if he explains the nature of his business.

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Jambo wrote: How much above the limit is he? The HO can apply discretion if he explains the nature of his business.
ALTHOUGH, NOT APPROPRIATE FOR THIS AREA OF THE BOARD. BUT SINCE WE HAVE ALREADY STARTED THIS QUESTION SO CONTINOUING HERE;

His three years are OK, but in the fourth year, which is actually his 2nd year of stay, he spent almost 210 out of the country. However, his all the absences were not more than 90 days in a single go.

Do you think, that he should apply for ILR thorugh PEO and explain every bit to the case worker or go for Tier 1 Extension.
The question is... to be or not to be....