ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA RESIDENCE CARD AND BENEFITS

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GETAFE
Newly Registered

Post by GETAFE » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:02 pm

hI
Is it possible to claim housing benefits while applying for residency?
My husband is working but the benefit calculator says we are entitled to tax credits and housing benefits. Will this put in risk the residency?

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 am

Generally, workers are entitled to a wide range of benefits, in principal all those which are considered "contribution-based". Read Chapter 12 of the ECIs.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 am

In another post you stated that you (the EEA national) are not working and you rely on your partner's income. In this case, the UKBA view is that claiming benefits would affect your residence. Child benefit should be fine but any large benefit not.

GETAFE
Newly Registered

Post by GETAFE » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:14 am

I have read that, but I am not working. I am looking after the children and my husband that is applying for the residence card and not an EEA Member is the one that is working.
I said in the residence application that I am looking for work but we have applied for working tax credits, child tax credits, child benefit and housing benefit. My worries now are that I have read that we dont have to be a unreasonable burden to the government when we claim public funds. It does say that we dont have to work to be here, which he is, but not sure where we stand.

sum1
- thin ice -

Re: EEA RESIDENCE CARD AND BENEFITS

Post by sum1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:43 am

GETAFE wrote:I said in the residence application that I am looking for work but we have applied for working tax credits, child tax credits, child benefit and housing benefit. My worries now are that I have read that we dont have to be a unreasonable burden to the government when we claim public funds.
I do not think anybody here will be able to tell at what point you will become an unreasonable burden. It's your call to decide. Ideally you start to work. Depending on the height of the joint income and the particular circumstances tax credits can be quite high.

jotter
Member of Standing

Re: EEA RESIDENCE CARD AND BENEFITS

Post by jotter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

GETAFE wrote:hI
Is it possible to claim housing benefits while applying for residency?
My husband is working but the benefit calculator says we are entitled to tax credits and housing benefits. Will this put in risk the residency?
Which EEA treaty right status covers you at the moment? Unless there is something you haven't told us, I guess your current status would be 'self-sufficient'. On this status you do need to be more careful about claiming benefits than you would be if you as the EEA national were in employment - particularly income-based benefits.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Have a look through that document and do contact the European Enquiries phone number if in doubt as they should be able to advise you which benefits are ok as well.