ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit holder - Number Hours per Week- please advice

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rbd06
Newly Registered

Work Permit holder - Number Hours per Week- please advice

Post by rbd06 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Please advice.

I have joined the present company on Fresh Talent scheme in 2006 on permanent contract with 37hrs a week and my fresh talent visa due to expire in Nov2007
Company sponsored me work permit in Oct 2007 and advertised the same role on 40 hrs basis by mistake while making my application even though all company staff work 37 hrs a week basis.Work permit granted on the basis of 40hrs.

I am thinking to apply for ILR early next month, and wondering which one to consider (either 37 or 40hrs/week).

The problem with 40hrs a week, my roles and responsibilities in SOC may just fall below hourly rate given.

Please advice me, any possible options.

t-bag

Re

Post by t-bag » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Apply under 40hrs/week which is what your WP was granted for. The options you have is to
1 - ask for your employer to increase your salary so you fall above the SOC code (even for this month and the next)
OR
2 - get a soc code with similar responsabilities for which you are above the threshold.

What's your current occupation??

Also, make sure your letter of employment states your current/new salary

brij4134

Re: Re

Post by brij4134 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 pm

t-bag wrote:Apply under 40hrs/week which is what your WP was granted for. The options you have is to
1 - ask for your employer to increase your salary so you fall above the SOC code (even for this month and the next)
OR
2 - get a soc code with similar responsabilities for which you are above the threshold.

t-bag is absolutely right.

rbd06
Newly Registered

Post by rbd06 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:28 am

t-bag wrote:Apply under 40hrs/week which is what your WP was granted for. The options you have is to
OR

Thank you for the useful advice.

Currently I am working as a Design engineer in Gas utility sector.
I am finding bit hard to get the nearest code..and I heard for work permit holders prior to tier2 PBS implementation (can use up to NQF level 3 in Border line ) could you please shed your opinion on this

Thanks again for the help t-bag, much appreciated

rbd06
Newly Registered

Post by rbd06 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 am

rbd06 wrote:
OR

Thank you for the useful advice.

Currently I am working as a Design engineer in Gas utility sector.
I am finding bit hard to get the nearest code..and I heard for work permit holders prior to tier2 PBS implementation (can use up to NQF level 3 in Border line ) could you please shed your opinion on this

Thanks again for the help t-bag, much appreciated

Any suggestions/comments on SOC guys!!!

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 pm

The rules for ILR for work permit holders are in Immigration Rules 128-135:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part5/
and further details are given on pages 38-41 of this document:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

There is no requirement for the job to be at any NQF level but the employer needs to certify that your salary is at least what is given in the tier 2 codes of practice for the job. In this regard it is not so much the job title that matters but what you actually do (and also what occupation was given in your work permit). Isn't your salary sufficient for SOC code 2126 (design & development engineer, min. £28.080 p.a.)?

rbd06
Newly Registered

Post by rbd06 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 pm

manci wrote:The rules for ILR for work permit holders are in Immigration Rules 128-135:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part5/
and further details are given on pages 38-41 of this document:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

There is no requirement for the job to be at any NQF level but the employer needs to certify that your salary is at least what is given in the tier 2 codes of practice for the job. In this regard it is not so much the job title that matters but what you actually do (and also what occupation was given in your work permit). Isn't your salary sufficient for SOC code 2126 (design & development engineer, min. £28.080 p.a.)?

Hi Manci, thank you for the advice. My roles and responsibilities slightly matches with SOC 2126(under NQF 6) and mostly matches with 3531(Under NQF 4). Unfortunately my salary is less the appropriate pay given in any of 2126. Could I be able to use NQF 4 and request a letter from my employer to certify this.
Please guide me further..

Cheers rbd06

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 pm

It is not you, but your employer, who is responsible for determining the appropriate SOC code and salary. If they agree that 3531 is appropriate to what you are doing, and are prepared to certify it, that's fine. NQF 4 is not a problem but there should be compatibility with the job/salary stated in your work permit.

rbd06
Newly Registered

Post by rbd06 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

manci wrote:It is not you, but your employer, who is responsible for determining the appropriate SOC code and salary. If they agree that 3531 is appropriate to what you are doing, and are prepared to certify it, that's fine. NQF 4 is not a problem but there should be compatibility with the job/salary stated in your work permit.
manci, that means employer could search relevant SOC, no matter NQF 6, 4 Or 3?

Cheers
rbd06

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:33 pm

see 3 posts up.