ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship help!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

British Citizenship help!

Post by cutmeloose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey, Just wondered does anybody know long the process will take to get British citizenship. So by that I mean taking the test> applying for naturalisation> applying for passport> getting passport. Is anyone whose been through this able to give me a rough guideline?

I meet all the criteria, have in fact lived here all my life, so slightly strange that I have to jump through so many hoops. Also, I've had indefinite leave to remain since I was about 8, I'm 18 now. However, I may have misplaced the letter, it's still stamped in my old passport though. Would this be a big issue? I only have an expired passport with the indefinite leave to remain stamp, but it expired five years ago, so I doubt I'd be able to use it.

I've lived here all my life, and never left the country, so would I have to 'prove' that I've been in residence here, considering that I've done all my education here.

Thanks for any help.

pepene

Re: British Citizenship help!

Post by pepene » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:13 pm

cutmeloose wrote:Hey, Just wondered does anybody know long the process will take to get British citizenship. So by that I mean taking the test> applying for naturalisation> applying for passport> getting passport. Is anyone whose been through this able to give me a rough guideline?

I meet all the criteria, have in fact lived here all my life, so slightly strange that I have to jump through so many hoops. Also, I've had indefinite leave to remain since I was about 8, I'm 18 now. However, I may have misplaced the letter, it's still stamped in my old passport though. Would this be a big issue? I only have an expired passport with the indefinite leave to remain stamp, but it expired five years ago, so I doubt I'd be able to use it.

I've lived here all my life, and never left the country, so would I have to 'prove' that I've been in residence here, considering that I've done all my education here.

Thanks for any help.
surely u shud qualify but the criteria is uncertain hence ur best bet is a solicitor even if it means a bit of money. also try trawling through past postings in the forums. good luck

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm

pepene wrote:
surely u shud qualify but the criteria is uncertain hence ur best bet is a solicitor even if it means a bit of money. also try trawling through past postings in the forums. good luck
Thanks, I think I'll go and visit the citizens advice bureau. I just want to get it sorted, since I've not been able to ever travel because of this.

EDIT: I just did some further research and it seems like I might only need to 'register' rather than naturalise. Would this exempt me from the life in UK test?

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 pm

cutmeloose wrote:
pepene wrote:
Thanks, I think I'll go and visit the citizens advice bureau. I just want to get it sorted, since I've not been able to ever travel because of this.

EDIT: I just did some further research and it seems like I might only need to 'register' rather than naturalise. Would this exempt me from the life in UK test?
you'll find your answers here :)

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=95747