ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Girlfriend Visiting for 3-6 months and working?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chris180
Newly Registered

Girlfriend Visiting for 3-6 months and working?

Post by chris180 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi, my girlfriend is from the USA and wants to come and stay over here for a period of between 3-6 months. She doesnt need a visa to visit as a tourist but is there anything we can do to enable her to be able to work while shes here? I could support her without her working but I dont think she would like to do that.

The reason she wants to come is that she could be finishing her job in the states and before she applies for another we wanted to spend some time together. I dont know if she would want to come over if she couldnt do some sort of work.

Thanks for any help

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:38 pm

one is not allowed to work on a visitor visa

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Girlfriend Visiting for 3-6 months and working?

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:45 pm

chris180 wrote:Hi, my girlfriend is from the USA and wants to come and stay over here for a period of between 3-6 months. She doesnt need a visa to visit as a tourist but is there anything we can do to enable her to be able to work while shes here? I could support her without her working but I dont think she would like to do that.

The reason she wants to come is that she could be finishing her job in the states and before she applies for another we wanted to spend some time together. I dont know if she would want to come over if she couldnt do some sort of work.

Thanks for any help
No way, not on Visitors Visa or waivered visitors visa as per US citizens.

If she wants to work she'll have either marry u in USA or thrid country and come here on Spouse visa or obtain HSMP or WP assuming she's highly skilled or fits the shortage occupation criteria.

Also she should be wary of effectively living here on a VV, my UK mate lives in USA, married a Septic in US, and everytime she gets questioned why has she visited/been in UK so long, like the ECO's are suspecting of her living here on visa-waiver. I know cos I usually pick them up from airport and we have to wait ages for her!

The do to-and-fro a lot tho, they brought me my Ebay purchased guitar, Gibson Explorer last time and that raised a few eyebrows, I think they thought it was full of cocaine....

Steve

chris180
Newly Registered

Post by chris180 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Thats the thing, she wouldnt be classed as highly skilled and so has no chance of the HSMP or WP I dont think.

We usually visit each other every few months for a couple of weeks at a time and thats fine but the chance for her to come here for longer has arose since she might be leaving her job in the US soon and she could stay here for a few months before finding another. It wouldnt be that shes living here on a VV it will be exactly that a visit of about 3 or 4 months.

I guess our only option is for her to come here and me support her and then we carry on with our regular visits untill the time comes for us to decide to marry.

Thanks for your help

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:26 pm

Would she be interested in becoming a student? She would be granted permission to stay for the duration of her course, and could work 20 hours/week during term time and 40 hours/week during holidays. There are funding options available in the USA for students studying abroad.

Also, if you live together while she is studying for a total of two years or more, you would be eligible to apply for an unmarried partners visa, which is essentially a spouse visa without the marriage bit!

chris180
Newly Registered

Post by chris180 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:46 pm

That is a very useful bit of information darksquid. Does it matter what type of course it is, does it have to be uni level or is college level ok? I know she would like to go to college to study more and if she can do that here, I'm sure she would love to.

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:32 pm

chris, here is the official website regarding student visas:

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/article ... 00&a=41074

If I recall correctly from my student visa days, she must show that she will be more or less self-sufficient (proof of funding, savings, etc), and should NOT have to rely on the part-time work to live. I also don't think it would be acceptable to use yourself as a sponsor, as that might show she doesn't intend on leaving after her studies (another requirement). If you decide to get married or switch to an unmarried partner visa while she is here, that requirement becomes irrelevent, of course.

And it sounds like a college course is acceptable, provided it is a full-time course (15+ hours a week).

Here are the all of the relevent requirements (cut from the above website):
To qualify for admission as a student, a person must:

* Have been accepted for a course of study in a bona fide private education institution (with properly maintained enrolment and attendance records), or an independent fee paying school outside the maintained sector, or a publicly funded institution of further/higher education*;
* Be able, and intend, to follow either a weekday full-time course attending a single institution for at least 15 hours of organized daytime study per week of a single subject(or directly related subjects), or a full-time course of study at an independent fee paying school, or recognized full-time degree course at a publicly funded institution of further/higher education;
* (if under 16yrs) be enrolled at an independent fee paying school on a full-time course of studies which meets the requirements of the Education Act 1944;
* be able to meet the costs of the course, accommodation and maintenance (including for dependents) without taking employment or engaging in business or having recourse to public funds;
* not intend to take employment or engage in business, except part-time or vacation work when given permission by the Department for Education and Employment, except see below “ Employment during periods of Study”;
* intend to leave the United Kingdom on completion of studies.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:48 pm

"could work 20 hours/week during term time and 40 hours/week during holidays".

It's actually full-time during holidays.

Also, not 100% on this but, I think the visa has to be a certain length (1 year?) for the holder to be given the right to work.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:46 am

WoodieG wrote: It's actually full-time during holidays.
Full-time = min 37.5hrs

visa man
Newly Registered

Post by visa man » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:01 pm

the student visa would have to be issued for 6 months or more to be issued Code 2 with the right to work, otherwise its is issued as a code 3 visit visa