ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Me a british citizen wife on Tier 1 nearing ILR.......

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barua

Me a british citizen wife on Tier 1 nearing ILR.......

Post by barua » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi All,
Me and my wife are both in UK since 2005 and I got my citizenship a year ago. But didn't switch my wife's Tier1(expiring in oct 2012) as we thought she can get her ILR on her own at the end of 5 years in 0ct 2012, but now on the points basis she does not qualify. She only gets 70 points.
She is working full time since last 5 years.
What options does she have please?
And how long does it take before getting her ILR/ BC.
Since we both used to work in different cities to start with though we were visiting each other on every weekend we only have proofs of staying together for last 2 years(since we started staying together). We didn't really think of long term as we were confident of her ILR on her own Tier1.
What do you suggest please?
thanks,
Barua

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 pm

If you wife can't get ILR through her current status, she will have to switch into leave to remain as your partner. This will begin a five year period of leave before she is eligible for ILR in that category. However, she will have been in the UK for 10 years in 2015, and can apply for ILR on that basis also - if there are no significant breaks in residence in accordance with the residence requirements for that category.

AJR
Newly Registered

Post by AJR » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi, my wife is in a similar situation, having remained on her own Tier 1. Now we are worried she might not get ILR for having been out of the UK more than 180 days in the 5 years.

Does the first five years spent legally in the UK not mean anything when switching to dependent status? Does this mean she can only use Set (m) when she has already been on dependent visa for 5 years? Would you have to use FLR (m) instead?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 pm

No (unless it can be aggregated into 10 yrs long residence), yes and yes.