ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marriage, asylum and returning to England

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raylord
Newly Registered

marriage, asylum and returning to England

Post by raylord » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello everyone,

My partner and I need some advice if at all possible please!

We met at the start of the summer in England when my fiance was visiting England on a visitors visa. He is Lebanese and I am British. When the conflict broke out between Hezbollah and Israel in July, he went to the home office and was advised to apply for asylum as he was unable to return home as the airport had been bombed. 1000's of British nationals and other non- Lebanese were evacuated from Lebanon as the war raged.

The Home Office suspended all decision making about asylum claims from residents of Lebanon until approximately a fortnight after the ceasefire which was reached after about 35 days. They then sent him a letter saying his claim had been turned down and that it was now safe to return home.

We became very close during this distressing time and decided quite quickly that we were serious about each other. We moved in together and subsequently were obviously distressed when we received the letter. The situation in Lebanon was still extremely volatile and we were both scared for him to return. We were both frightened that should he return the war might break out again and that it was very dangerous for me to travel there too. It still says on the home office website that British citizens should not travel there as it is too dangerous.

We appealed against the decision and this took us to mid way through December to receive a decision. He was turned down. We have submitted a further appeal but don't really expect it to be succesful - we have just tried to buy some time so that we can work out a plan so that we can be together.

We looked into getting married in England butit seems that a certificate of approvalv will not be issued by the Home Office as even though he is still here legally he does not have leave to remain. It is possible to marry within the Anglican church without applying for a certificate of approval, and we have looked into this... most people we spoke with at the church were very helpful but the vicar who would marry us was suspicious and unfriendly over the phone. He accused us of trying to sneak in to England via a backdoor. After phoning some of his colleagues he called us back and agreed to meet with us to discuss the possibility - that happens tomorrow... We have compiled a photo album and phone bills and letters and all sorts of evidence to prove that we have a genuine relationship but it remains to be seen what he says tomorrow night. I am also very reluctant to get married by someone who doesn't believe in us and doesn't want to do it.

We accept that he will have to go home regardless of whether we marry or not but fear that applying for a visa to return may be impossible after applying for asylum. All of his friends we have spoken to have said how hard it is to get visas out of lebanon, including to Cyprus which is somewhere we could meet and have a civil marriage together.

So what to do...? We so want to be together and are frightened of making a bad decision. He has no bank account or income on returning to Lebanon and little hope of finding work at the moment as the economy has been so badly affected by the war and the huge anti-government demonstrations that are still taking place every day.

We certainly don't want to be parted for a long time but moreover it will be a disaster if he can't return.

In terms of my status, I am in full time employment as a teacher and own my own flat in London where we live together. I can provide evidence of our relationship and my ability to support us both until he can get work when he returns(can he get work???)

If you have any advice or could suggest some options for us it would be greatly appreciated - and if anyone has a magic wand that would be great!

Many thanks

:(

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi, I can understand your situation but the easiest option is to go back home get married there and apply for Entry clearance in British high commission. I was in your situation and very scared to go back to my home country but after many consultation and making evidence folder I took the decision to go back and apply for entry clearance, to my surprise I got it very next day.
pleas refer to my earlier post here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=12301

raylord
Newly Registered

update!

Post by raylord » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:25 pm

hi again!

Ok we met the vicar and he was actually quite good fun in the end. He didn't agree to marry us as he felt that even though he didn't need to have a certificate of approval from the home office, if a registry office required one he should too.

He said he would be happy to bless us in the church if we married in a registry office. He also said he would be happy to marry us once we had resolved my fiance's status here.

Sooo... we have pretty much given up on the idea of getting married here before he leaves, so are now exploring other alternatives. We are nervous about a fiance visa as many friends in Lebanon have said its takes a long time to organise and is not guaranteed. It seems too big a risk to take after all we have been through so far. Also his original sponsor when he first travelled to the UK last April was said she was his girlfriend in her sponsor's letter just to make it easier to get the visa, even though they were just friends (before he met me of course :wink: ) It's a bit frustrating to think that this might look bad on him and could casts doubts as to his intentions now even though the situation is completely different - what do you reckon?

Anyway you can't change the past so we just have to get on with it!

SOOO

We spoke to an old friend in Beirut who runs a travel agency to get some advice on the visa situation.He said the best thing to do would be to get married. He can arrange a wedding package to cyprus quite easily and part of that service is to arrange visas and documentation to cyprus (just 20 minutes flight from lebanon). Once we are married, the process of acquiring a spouse visa from the british embassy in Beirut should be easier although of course not guaranteed.

SO what do you think?? I know lots of you have read my first comment and i know its very long but it's all so upsetting and complicated that I don't seem to be able to shorten it all!

Finally if this does seem like a good idea, can anyone tell us how to get his passport back from the Home Office - do we need a solicitor's letter? We dont want to go through the IOM as lots of people say that t can seriously affect your chances of return if u do. I know that one member was succesful this way but i am frightened to risk this. My fiance has an open return ticket that just needs to be booked. Also his passport has sinc expired which is a bit of a worry too... (the Lebanese embassy in england have said that he will still be able to travel with the airline but what will happen in Heathrow?)

OK that's probably enough for now - thanks

Kay :?