ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching PSW to Tier 4 student

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sondo
Newly Registered

Switching PSW to Tier 4 student

Post by Sondo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:28 am

Hi,

I came too the UK in 2005 as a student, completed an undergraduate degree for 3 years at a university and moved on to do a masters for 2 years which I successfully completed in 2010 also at a university. I then applied for a PSW which I got. While on the PSW, my employers said that to sponsor me, I should first complete ACCA, which I was studying part time. I now want to switch my visa to tier 4 to complete ACCA. So I went to a recognized college to get a CAS and they declined on the basis that I have been on level 6/7 for 5years. My questions are;

If I manage getting a CAS, do I stand a chance of getting the tier 4 visa with the new guidelines/ restrictions (number of years)?

Is getting a CAS letter a worst of time and money? (because the UKBA might decline my application anyway).

Please help!

Many thanks,

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:02 am

Its a waste of time and money as you fall foul of the time limit.

Sondo
Newly Registered

Post by Sondo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:39 am

Is it right that they only start counting the years/ time limit from when you switched to tier 4, meaning the old student status (what used to be student visa) does not count, therefore, I would only have used the 1 year of the total 5 years maximum? The tier 4 visas were introduced in 2009 so effectively, I have only been on tier 4 for a year (from 2009 to 2010 when I graduated). Is this right?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:15 am

No. Its tier 4 and pre tier 4.

Sondo
Newly Registered

Post by Sondo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:36 am

Ok so am i right to say that then there is still a chance with a valid CAS letter for ACCA?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 pm

No.

Sondo
Newly Registered

Post by Sondo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:55 am

Why?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Because as stated in my previous post it is not just tier 4 leave which goes towards the limit it is also pre tier 4 leave (eg old style student visas)

maxwake

Post by maxwake » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Greenie wrote:Because as stated in my previous post it is not just tier 4 leave which goes towards the limit it is also pre tier 4 leave (eg old style student visas)
please do not give wrong information just on the basis of that you would not like to help people instead discourage people.

if you are saying whatever you are saying is true please provide evidence other wise please see
tier 4 student policy guidance form page number 14 point number 85.

for your information you are totally wrong please see below and please
if you do not know just do not answer.

85.This three year limit does not include any time that a Tier 4 (General) student has spent
studying below UK Bachelors degree level under:
• the student rules that were in place before 31 March 2009; or
• Tier 4 (General) when they were 16 or 17 years old; or
• Tier 4 (Child) when they were aged 17 years or under; or
• any other non Tier 4 category which permits study.

Best Regards
Max

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Which bit of the original poster's undergraduate degree and master's degree study was below bachelors degree level?
maxwake wrote:
Greenie wrote:Because as stated in my previous post it is not just tier 4 leave which goes towards the limit it is also pre tier 4 leave (eg old style student visas)
please do not give wrong information just on the basis of that you would not like to help people instead discourage people.

if you are saying whatever you are saying is true please provide evidence other wise please see
tier 4 student policy guidance form page number 14 point number 85.

for your information you are totally wrong please see below and please
if you do not know just do not answer.

85.This three year limit does not include any time that a Tier 4 (General) student has spent
studying below UK Bachelors degree level under:
• the student rules that were in place before 31 March 2009; or
• Tier 4 (General) when they were 16 or 17 years old; or
• Tier 4 (Child) when they were aged 17 years or under; or
• any other non Tier 4 category which permits study.

Best Regards
Max

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:28 pm

The paragraph you are posting is irrelevant to the op's query as it refers to the 3 year limit on below degree level study not the 5 year limit on degree level study.

Please see paragraph 245ZV ga) of the immigration rules.
(ga) If the course is at degree level or above, the gran of entry clearance the applicant is seeking must not ead to the applicant having spent more than 5 years in the UK as a Tier 4 (General) Migrant, or as a Student, studying courses at degree level or above unless

NB -the immigration rules are usually the first point of reference for the requirements. Perhaps you should look there first before accusing people of deliberately misleading others