ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When my non EU Wife arrives on FP for the first time.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Salem
- thin ice -

When my non EU Wife arrives on FP for the first time.

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am

Hi,

I have had a look at the stickies/pinned topics, could couldn't see anything. I am just looking for some guidance or advice about what is the most important things to do when my Wife arrives in the UK for the first time with me in late November?

I'm going to contact my utilities providers, ask that my Wife's name is put on the Bills, also going to apply for the Resident's card when we come back from Ireland (go home for a week at Xmas) due to her needing her Passport to travel. I know she can get the Passport back after application, but we go 4 weeks after arrival in the UK, so will just wait untill we come back.

But i'm just looking an idiots guide for first time arrivals on an EEA FP, so we can get her on the 'system' ASAP. How easy will it be for my Wife to open a Bank A/C, what about NI Number, registering with a GP, ect ect....

I'm not really sure what her Rights and Entitlements are, can she work legally straight away (after getting an NI Number) just the usual stuff i suppose.

Sorry if people will see this as pretty basic stuff, but i want everything to be as smooth as possible for her assimilation into the UK.

Thanks in advance.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: When my non EU Wife arrives on FP for the first time.

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 am

Salem wrote:Hi,

I have had a look at the stickies/pinned topics, could couldn't see anything. I am just looking for some guidance or advice about what is the most important things to do when my Wife arrives in the UK for the first time with me in late November?

I'm going to contact my utilities providers, ask that my Wife's name is put on the Bills, also going to apply for the Resident's card when we come back from Ireland (go home for a week at Xmas) due to her needing her Passport to travel. I know she can get the Passport back after application, but we go 4 weeks after arrival in the UK, so will just wait untill we come back.

But i'm just looking an idiots guide for first time arrivals on an EEA FP, so we can get her on the 'system' ASAP. How easy will it be for my Wife to open a Bank A/C, what about NI Number, registering with a GP, ect ect....

I'm not really sure what her Rights and Entitlements are, can she work legally straight away (after getting an NI Number) just the usual stuff i suppose.

Sorry if people will see this as pretty basic stuff, but i want everything to be as smooth as possible for her assimilation into the UK.

Thanks in advance.
At border, present passports. Do not complete landing card. Enter the UK.

After entry apply for a residence card - EEA2.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:

Thanks in advance.
At border, present passports. Do not complete landing card. Enter the UK.

After entry apply for a residence card - EEA2.
Thanks,

Present Passports, together? This is something i meant to ask, i've read somewhere my non EU Wife goes through the EU Queue with me, as she is on the FP with me. So this is true, she doesn't have to go through the non EU Passport queue, we go through together?

Anyone any other advice on my other points, for when she actually is in the UK?

Edit - She has a Thai Passport.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Salem wrote: Present Passports, together? This is something i meant to ask, i've read somewhere my non EU Wife goes through the EU Queue with me, as she is on the FP with me. So this is true, she doesn't have to go through the non EU Passport queue, we go through together?

Entering together. Join the EU queue. Don't complete landing card.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks in advance.
What are you doing in the UK? Are you a worker for example?

Apply for her residence card as soon as you can. It will make your life easier and demonstrate that your wife is entitled to be in the UK and enjoy all the things you raise in your post.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi, thanks again for your response and clarifying what passport queue.

Yes, i am Irish, but have lived and worked in London for many Years. I'm in full time permanent emplyment at present for a Local Authority.

I would've applied for the Residents Card as soon as we arrive end of November, but we are flying to Ireland for a week over Christmas, so i'll do it and send off my wife's Passport as soon as we go back to London.

I understand what you are saying, having the Residence Card will make it easier for things like opening a Bank A/C ect. But can she not still do it and similiar stuff while we wait, any tips on the easiest way anyone, what to do first?

Cheers

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Salem wrote: Yes, i am Irish, but have lived and worked in London for many Years. I'm in full time permanent emplyment at present for a Local Authority.
This is great and will make the application pretty straight forward. It is possible to make an application and ask for the passport back while it is being considered.

Does your wife have a visa for Ireland or is this something else that you need to organise?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Salem wrote: I understand what you are saying, having the Residence Card will make it easier for things like opening a Bank A/C ect. But can she not still do it and similiar stuff while we wait, any tips on the easiest way anyone, what to do first?
In theory yes, in practice she may struggle. I would suggest you get her registered with a doctor as soon as you can. Check with your local surgery for their requirements.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Great stuff, yes i've been in full time work in London for many years, have never signed on for Benefits, very checkable work record.

No, we're flying into and staying in Belfast ( I should have posted N.Ireland), so no other Visa needed apart from her EEA FP as far as i am aware. I know UK BA check at Belfast, but she would still be in the 6 Months multiple FP.

I understand you can request your Passport back while making an EEA2 application, but from reading the EEA2 waiting times Thread on here, i think i'll wait untill we get back from Belfast. The waiting times to get the COA can be a Month, and we fly to Belfast 4 weeks after we arrive, but only staying one week. So i think it's better we wait and my Wife still has her Passport for the flights. But i will send off the application as soon as we get back, end of December.

Yes, a GP was one of the main things i was thinking about. I know they want a lot of documents, and just not sure my Wife will have them Hence me wanting to get her on the utility Bills ect ASAP and asking for any other tips and advice?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 pm

The requirements to register with the clinic depends on the clinic. I don't think ours ask for any evidence other than stating your address to make sure it is within their catchment area.

Banks could be funny sometimes. You might need to try different ones / different branches if your own branch won't want to add her to your account. Definitely add her to some utility bills (even now).

EEA FP should be good enough for NI application.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Jambo wrote:The requirements to register with the clinic depends on the clinic. I don't think ours ask for any evidence other than stating your address to make sure it is within their catchment area.

Banks could be funny sometimes. You might need to try different ones / different branches if your own branch won't want to add her to your account. Definitely add her to some utility bills (even now).

EEA FP should be good enough for NI application.
Good points thanks, i'll call them tomorrow, ask about getting my Wife on the Bills now. I'll also call into the Nationwide (whom i use here in London) and ask about what exactly they require, for an A/C for my Wife.

With living in London, i think the GP's will ask for a lot of documents, but the sooner she is on the Bills, Bank Statements ect the better. NHS number?

And i'll apply for NI number as soon as she arrives.

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I'm nervously excited :D

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Salem, you appear to be well organised, which is great. It would be a good idea if you could look to the future and keep a file for your wife's permanent residence application five years hence.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:14 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Salem, you appear to be well organised, which is great. It would be a good idea if you could look to the future and keep a file for your wife's permanent residence application five years hence.
Thanks!

I only joined the Forum yesterday, and have been reading loads since. It's very informative and helpfull, i'll no doubt be using it quite a bit now :D

Thanks for he tip, yes i've already bought a leather folder type of thing for my Wife to keep all her Offical documents, utility Bills, hopefuly Bank Statements ect, so they would the type of things you're talking about, yes?

Any advice such as this, is very much appreciated. I'm very new to it all, and realise my Wife will need a lot of help and support to adjust to a new Culture, without any extra avoidable hassle over Visa stuff.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Salem wrote: I only joined the Forum yesterday, and have been reading loads since. It's very informative and helpfull, i'll no doubt be using it quite a bit now
Thanks, that's nice to hear.

UKBA release loads of information under freedom of information rules, it might be worth your while looking here.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dlaw/ecis/

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Salem wrote: I only joined the Forum yesterday, and have been reading loads since. It's very informative and helpfull, i'll no doubt be using it quite a bit now
Thanks, that's nice to hear.

UKBA release loads of information under freedom of information rules, it might be worth your while looking here.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dlaw/ecis/
Thanks a lot, i'm going to print off Chapter 2 and take it to bed with me :D

ShrewsburyMark

Post by ShrewsburyMark » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Last week We opened a bank a/c with Barclays for my wife with just her nioj EU passport and a council tax bill in joint names.

GP just took her without any questions..

lencruz

Post by lencruz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Salem wrote: Present Passports, together? This is something i meant to ask, i've read somewhere my non EU Wife goes through the EU Queue with me, as she is on the FP with me. So this is true, she doesn't have to go through the non EU Passport queue, we go through together?

Hello EUsmile and Jambo my wife coming next week from India on EEA FP alone does she has to fill up landing card,can she come from EU passport queue

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 am

lencruz wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:

Hello EUsmile and Jambo my wife coming next week from India on EEA FP alone does she has to fill up landing card,can she come from EU passport queue
Answers already in the thread above, being alone, it would be a good idea for her to have your number handy.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Join the EU queue. Don't complete landing card.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:58 pm

ShrewsburyMark wrote:Last week We opened a bank a/c with Barclays for my wife with just her nioj EU passport and a council tax bill in joint names.

GP just took her without any questions..
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input. I called my Utility power provider yesterday, they asked that i faxed over a letter requesting that my Wife's name is put on the Bill as well as mine, signed by both of us. This i did, being creative, as my wife does not arrive untill end of November.

I will also contact the Council, to get my Wife on the Bill as soon as she arrives. My Monthly payment will go up, i presently get the 1 person discount, so i would assume a new paper Bill to reflect this. If not, i will ask that one is sent, and not have to wait untill April.

Hopefully with her name on these Bills, then the Bank A/C and GP etc shouldn't be much of an issue.

I need to get her an NHS and NI number...........

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Don't waste too much time on this Salem.

She would be entitled to NHS medical care even if you were both homeless for some reason and had no power bill.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Join the EU queue. Don't complete landing card.
Was curious about this so looked it up. From UKBA web site http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary or http://preview.tinyurl.com/9bq9fr4
4.3 Landing cards for non-EEA family members

Family members do not normally need to produce landing cards. However,
this does not apply when a person’s claim to be a family member is assessed
and accepted for the first time at port and admitted on a Code 1A. This is
because we do not otherwise have a record of the person.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Mr Directive.

So maybe it's best for us to fill in the Landing Card, as it's my Wife's first time in the UK?

If they ask for it it's done, if they don't, then no problem anyway?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Your case is not the one cited by Directive. She won't be admitted on code 1A but using her EEA Family permit. No landing card required. The IO may stamp the passport. With a Residence Card even stamping the passport is not allowed (non EEA passport should be treated the same as EEA passport).

I understand people don't like to argue with IO especially on the first entry but if you don't stand on your rights, the IO will never realise that they can't do whatever they wish.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Family members do not normally need to produce landing cards. However,
this does not apply when a person’s claim to be a family member is assessed
and accepted for the first time at port and admitted on a Code 1A. This is
because we do not otherwise have a record of the person.
This could be written better (ie the UKBA guidance). What it means to say is that an EEA family member does not need to fill in a landing card. It goes onto suggest that those who do not possess family permit, residence card or pr card may be requested to do so (but they don't have to either).