ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exit visa from India for British born child

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

harshil223
United Kingdom

Exit visa from India for British born child

Post by harshil223 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm

hello friends

I am currently in a situation where I cannot find sufficient information which is relevant to my case. I have UK born baby who travelled to India on Indian passport and by that time I applied for his British citizenship using form MN1. The MN1 application was granted and later I applied for his British passport by sending application to Delhi and I got the passport delivered to my Indian address where the baby is present at the moment.

Now as per my understanding, I must get exit visa/permit on my baby's British passport in order to leave from India and enter UK. All information I get is that I need to get it from FRRO, Delhi but I could not find information about the process to be followed. And that information was relevant for a baby who was born in India not in UK.

It will be very thankful if someone who got similar experience and share it here.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Exit visa from India for British born child

Post by ric1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am

harshil223 wrote:hello friends

I am currently in a situation where I cannot find sufficient information which is relevant to my case. I have UK born baby who travelled to India on Indian passport and by that time I applied for his British citizenship using form MN1. The MN1 application was granted and later I applied for his British passport by sending application to Delhi and I got the passport delivered to my Indian address where the baby is present at the moment.

Now as per my understanding, I must get exit visa/permit on my baby's British passport in order to leave from India and enter UK. All information I get is that I need to get it from FRRO, Delhi but I could not find information about the process to be followed. And that information was relevant for a baby who was born in India not in UK.

It will be very thankful if someone who got similar experience and share it here.
Where are you based in India? Depending upon which state you are in you need to contact your FRRO office to obtain exit visa.
The process roughly is as follows (sorry I dont know the exact process)
Apply for British passport for your baby from India
Once you get British passport surrender Indian passport and obtain surrender certificate.
Apply for exit visa from your regional FRRO office.
Contact your city's collector office for Exit visa permit.

From one of my friend's experience the best thing to do is to get a reliable agent who knows stuff. (Reliable is important term here). Otherwise you will be in roundtrip of Indian babugiri and will loose more time , money and sanity.

All the best..

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 am

ric1982 wrote:
Where are you based in India? Depending upon which state you are in you need to contact your FRRO office to obtain exit visa.
The process roughly is as follows (sorry I dont know the exact process)
Apply for British passport for your baby from India
Once you get British passport surrender Indian passport and obtain surrender certificate.r
Apply for exit visa from your regional FRRO office.
Contact your city's collector office for Exit visa permit.

From one of my friend's experience the best thing to do is to get a reliable agent who knows stuff. (Reliable is important term here). Otherwise you will be in roundtrip of Indian babugiri and will loose more time , money and sanity.

All the best..
thank you very much ric1982. I am currently in UK however my baby is in Vadodara, Gujarat. According to link there are FRROs only at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Amritsar, Bengaluru and Hyderabad. I am not sure if there is a FRRO in any city of Gujarat. I could find one address in Ahmedabad but I am not sure if I can contact them for exit visa.

Few steps in the process you outlined are already complete, I got British passport for my baby delivered with the note to register the passport with Indian foreign registration office. So now its the registration and obtaining exit visa which is pending. Do you have more information regarding your friend's experience with the process and outcome of it? Any comment will be highly helpful.

thanks

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 am

Like I said dont try to do this yourself (or ask your parents to do it). They will go mad. Spend the money and hire an agent.

Take my advise DONT DO THIS YOUR SELF IT WILL DRIVE YOU MAD!!!!!! The process is not documented and vague.

Take it this way. Why do you take Breakdown cover for your vehicle in UK. its same sort of principal...

I'll try to get more info on this.

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 am

ric1982 wrote:Like I said dont try to do this yourself (or ask your parents to do it). They will go mad. Spend the money and hire an agent.

Take my advise DONT DO THIS YOUR SELF IT WILL DRIVE YOU MAD!!!!!! The process is not documented and vague.

Take it this way. Why do you take Breakdown cover for your vehicle in UK. its same sort of principal...

I'll try to get more info on this.
thanks for the advice ric1982. the only problem is the finding an agent who is knowledgeable and can be trusted. of course I will try to pick an agent to do the work but as 1)I don't have good experience with agents and 2)I have seen few posts where people have done it themselves and succeeded, I am trying to gather as much information as I can.

did your friend use any agent or did it him(her)self?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am

If you cant find a reliable travel agent then you (or your relative in Vadodra) needs to go to local DSP office. Over there they will tell you what you need to do.

My only concern with going directly is that you have to be prepared to do some "atta". They will make you go round in circle before getting it done. Hence the advise about going to agent.

What I understand is that local DSP office will issue a document which you have to take to Gandhinagar (if you have agent then he should sort this out). and then after getting sign from someone from Gandhinagar you need to submit that again to local DSP office which then issue you an Exit visa permit.

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 am

ric1982 wrote:If you cant find a reliable travel agent then you (or your relative in Vadodra) needs to go to local DSP office. Over there they will tell you what you need to do.

My only concern with going directly is that you have to be prepared to do some "atta". They will make you go round in circle before getting it done. Hence the advise about going to agent.

What I understand is that local DSP office will issue a document which you have to take to Gandhinagar (if you have agent then he should sort this out). and then after getting sign from someone from Gandhinagar you need to submit that again to local DSP office which then issue you an Exit visa permit.
thanks a lot for providing a guidance, at least now I have a faint idea how I should proceed. your comments are really helpful, I will see if I can get an agent or not.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 am

harshil223 wrote:
ric1982 wrote:If you cant find a reliable travel agent then you (or your relative in Vadodra) needs to go to local DSP office. Over there they will tell you what you need to do.

thanks a lot for providing a guidance, at least now I have a faint idea how I should proceed. your comments are really helpful, I will see if I can get an agent or not.
Np. All the best

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

ric1982 wrote:Np. All the best
Hello ric1982 as well as other fellow members who replied to my earlier posts throughout this year specifically Jambo
Finally year 2012 concluded with the desired result, not though the intended way but with the modifications which ultimately proved costly.
For those who don't have any idea about my case history, i am posting my experience if it can help someone in similar situation.
I will try to be as brief as possible, however if you don’t want to read the full story, just skip it and go to END OF PARAGRAPH.
  • I am an Indian; my wife is also an Indian.

I came to UK in 2007 on WP, got HSMP followed by Tier1 extension

My wife came to UK in 2009 on her own separate Tier1 visa, got extension last year

We got a baby boy born in the UK in October last year before my wife got extension. She did not include the boy in tier1 extension.

I got ILR in April this year as I finished 5 years of stay, I also did not include the boy in ILR.

Not including the baby in my wife's Tier1 extension or my ILR proved to be stupidest mistake of our life as I thought of sending the boy to India to his grandparents and they will apply for British passport from India only. We did not include him on extension or ILR just to save 500 or similar quid.

Well, after I got ILR, I applied for my boy's British citizenship form via MN1 (section 1(3)) from UK only while he was still in here. Once MN1 application was sent via NCS, my wife and my boy travelled to India on their Indian passports. My wife came back after 1 month while leaving the baby with his grand parents when he was 6 months old

After 6-8 weeks, I got British Citizenship certificate as result of MN1 application

So then I sent MN1 certificate to India where my parents applied for boy's British Passport by sending application to BHC, Delhi.

So far the process was as expected. Smooth. Even we got the baby's British passport within 4-5 weeks. So now my baby got two passports- Indian passport received in London and British passport received in India.

As India does not allow dual citizenship, the Indian passport must be cancelled.

Now the trouble started, we could not find any documented process which is followed by passport office in India. Initially they asked for boy's parents’ presence. They were adamant that Indian passport must be surrendered even we told them we would surrender it in UK while the baby travel on his British passport, but the response was negative. So we decided to fly to India. Here only the whole purpose of saving 500 quid was ruined as we had to spend approx 1400 for air ticket. Not counting the cost of having unpaid leaves from the employment.

After going to passport office at Ahmedabad at least 5 times, we could get the Indian passport cancelled. As the passport was issued by HCIL, they wanted to check with HCIL which wasted 2 more weeks. So we had to go to Ahmedabad from my city 5 times and they wanted presence of my boy at least once who was merely 1 year old.

After having the passport cancelled, the next process of getting an exit permit started. I had to return to UK as I did not have more holidays. But my wife stayed back and then she had to go to FRO where she met a guy who was very control freak. He did not tell her the full process but asked my wife that she should do what he tells her to do and go back once first task is finished. My wife asked him full process so many times but he was a control freak and told her to do what next step he says. He sent the application for police verification; I believe police verification is required only if foreigner stays in India for more than 6 months- I may be wrong here.

Anyway, my wife had to go to one police station along with the child where she was sent to other police station for completion. And this was done next day as well so whole verification took 2 days.

Finally she managed to get police verification after sparing some change to the constable. now that control freak FRO sent her to Gandhinagar to obtain some signature on the NOC(Exit Permit) so she had to go to Gandhinagar where after spending half day she finally got some signed papers which were supposed to be brought to FRO back.
    At last the FRO get the signed paper and get his superiors' sign and then my wife managed to get the NOC (Exit permit).
    She came back UK along with my baby next day only and she has vowed not to return to India for getting any public services :)
If you have read whole story so far, I thank you very much.
END OF PARAGRAPH

ADVICE IF YOU ARE GOING TO APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPORT FROM INDIA AND THE CHILD ALREADY GOT INDIAN PASSPORT

Try to have reliable agent who knows some officer in Passport office who can get the Indian passport cancelled with least hassle or be prepared to go to Passport office for at least 3-4 times.
Similarly have some agent for doing FRO work, as such FRO in some cities can really be helpful but it depends upon with whom you are going to meet with. Again be prepared to go to FRO for at least 2-3 times.

Last but not least; which actually should be first advice, don’t skip adding your baby/child to your UK visa or visa extension if possible just to save few quid. If the baby got his/her own visa, you can get his/her British passport very easily from UK only.

Please note that this is my and my wife's experience, it does not suggest that you will also have the same experience, you may get better response and good service. All the best.

Thanks again

ami123
Newly Registered
India

Post by ami123 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 am

harshil223 wrote:
ric1982 wrote:Np. All the best
Hello ric1982 as well as other fellow members who replied to my earlier posts throughout this year specifically Jambo
Finally year 2012 concluded with the desired result, not though the intended way but with the modifications which ultimately proved costly.
For those who don't have any idea about my case history, i am posting my experience if it can help someone in similar situation.
I will try to be as brief as possible, however if you don’t want to read the full story, just skip it and go to END OF PARAGRAPH.
  • I am an Indian; my wife is also an Indian.

I came to UK in 2007 on WP, got HSMP followed by Tier1 extension

My wife came to UK in 2009 on her own separate Tier1 visa, got extension last year

We got a baby boy born in the UK in October last year before my wife got extension. She did not include the boy in tier1 extension.

I got ILR in April this year as I finished 5 years of stay, I also did not include the boy in ILR.

Not including the baby in my wife's Tier1 extension or my ILR proved to be stupidest mistake of our life as I thought of sending the boy to India to his grandparents and they will apply for British passport from India only. We did not include him on extension or ILR just to save 500 or similar quid.

Well, after I got ILR, I applied for my boy's British citizenship form via MN1 (section 1(3)) from UK only while he was still in here. Once MN1 application was sent via NCS, my wife and my boy travelled to India on their Indian passports. My wife came back after 1 month while leaving the baby with his grand parents when he was 6 months old

After 6-8 weeks, I got British Citizenship certificate as result of MN1 application

So then I sent MN1 certificate to India where my parents applied for boy's British Passport by sending application to BHC, Delhi.

So far the process was as expected. Smooth. Even we got the baby's British passport within 4-5 weeks. So now my baby got two passports- Indian passport received in London and British passport received in India.

As India does not allow dual citizenship, the Indian passport must be cancelled.

Now the trouble started, we could not find any documented process which is followed by passport office in India. Initially they asked for boy's parents’ presence. They were adamant that Indian passport must be surrendered even we told them we would surrender it in UK while the baby travel on his British passport, but the response was negative. So we decided to fly to India. Here only the whole purpose of saving 500 quid was ruined as we had to spend approx 1400 for air ticket. Not counting the cost of having unpaid leaves from the employment.

After going to passport office at Ahmedabad at least 5 times, we could get the Indian passport cancelled. As the passport was issued by HCIL, they wanted to check with HCIL which wasted 2 more weeks. So we had to go to Ahmedabad from my city 5 times and they wanted presence of my boy at least once who was merely 1 year old.

After having the passport cancelled, the next process of getting an exit permit started. I had to return to UK as I did not have more holidays. But my wife stayed back and then she had to go to FRO where she met a guy who was very control freak. He did not tell her the full process but asked my wife that she should do what he tells her to do and go back once first task is finished. My wife asked him full process so many times but he was a control freak and told her to do what next step he says. He sent the application for police verification; I believe police verification is required only if foreigner stays in India for more than 6 months- I may be wrong here.

Anyway, my wife had to go to one police station along with the child where she was sent to other police station for completion. And this was done next day as well so whole verification took 2 days.

Finally she managed to get police verification after sparing some change to the constable. now that control freak FRO sent her to Gandhinagar to obtain some signature on the NOC(Exit Permit) so she had to go to Gandhinagar where after spending half day she finally got some signed papers which were supposed to be brought to FRO back.
    At last the FRO get the signed paper and get his superiors' sign and then my wife managed to get the NOC (Exit permit).
    She came back UK along with my baby next day only and she has vowed not to return to India for getting any public services :)
If you have read whole story so far, I thank you very much.
END OF PARAGRAPH

ADVICE IF YOU ARE GOING TO APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPORT FROM INDIA AND THE CHILD ALREADY GOT INDIAN PASSPORT

Try to have reliable agent who knows some officer in Passport office who can get the Indian passport cancelled with least hassle or be prepared to go to Passport office for at least 3-4 times.
Similarly have some agent for doing FRO work, as such FRO in some cities can really be helpful but it depends upon with whom you are going to meet with. Again be prepared to go to FRO for at least 2-3 times.

Last but not least; which actually should be first advice, don’t skip adding your baby/child to your UK visa or visa extension if possible just to save few quid. If the baby got his/her own visa, you can get his/her British passport very easily from UK only.

Please note that this is my and my wife's experience, it does not suggest that you will also have the same experience, you may get better response and good service. All the best.

Thanks again
Thats a big pain.
Congrats for finally getting things done.

I will probably get into same trouble/pain
My wife wants to go to India to deliver baby, we will be having British passport in 2 weeks time.

I am thinking of process
1. Apply for British passport
2. Apply for Exit permit.

what do you recommend?

nemunoki
Newly Registered

Post by nemunoki » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Can anyone shed light on the fee for an exit permit to the uk? I am in a remote area and the fro does not have this information :/ They are trying to find out but I thought I can try and help speed up the process. The only information the fro here has is that it is $80 for all countries except US and UK. I'd be grateful for anyone who knows.

Thanks