ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life In the UK test and English language requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khurramalvi
United Kingdom

Life In the UK test and English language requirement

Post by khurramalvi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi,

Last week me and my wife both passed Life in the UK test and she raised a question for the need of passing ILETS in addition to LIUK test to fulfil UKBA language requirement. I read the following paragraph in the LIUK test certificate and I not sure if she have to pass ILETS to fulfil language requirement for ILR. The below paragraph states ‘meeting the English standards’.
Following your test today in knowledge of life in the United Kingdom this it to certify that you have reached the level required for the purposes of obtaining indefinite leave to remain under the Immigration Rules or for naturalisation as British citizen under section 6 of the British Nationality Act 1981. Your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competences in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain. No further proof of this is needed.
My Immigration history is mentioned below.

T1 - Visa granted: 16-Oct-2008
Entered first in UK: 3-Dec-2008
T1 - Extension granted: 23-Nov-2012
Visa expiry: 23-Nov-2013

I will apply for ILR next year Nov-2014. My wife has a gap of 6 months to complete her 2 years time period to get eligible for ILR.

Can forum members advice, if she needs to pass ILETS for ILR or LIUK certificate is enough to fulfil English language requirement.

Many thanks

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: Life In the UK test and English language requirement

Post by david1955 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm

khurramalvi wrote:Hi,

Last week me and my wife both passed Life in the UK test and she raised a question for the need of passing ILETS in addition to LIUK test to fulfil UKBA language requirement. I read the following paragraph in the LIUK test certificate and I not sure if she have to pass ILETS to fulfil language requirement for ILR. The below paragraph states ‘meeting the English standards’.
Following your test today in knowledge of life in the United Kingdom this it to certify that you have reached the level required for the purposes of obtaining indefinite leave to remain under the Immigration Rules or for naturalisation as British citizen under section 6 of the British Nationality Act 1981. Your success at this test also demonstrates that your level of competences in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain. No further proof of this is needed.
My Immigration history is mentioned below.

T1 - Visa granted: 16-Oct-2008
Entered first in UK: 3-Dec-2008
T1 - Extension granted: 23-Nov-2012
Visa expiry: 23-Nov-2013

I will apply for ILR next year Nov-2014. My wife has a gap of 6 months to complete her 2 years time period to get eligible for ILR.

Can forum members advice, if she needs to pass ILETS for ILR or LIUK certificate is enough to fulfil English language requirement.

Many thanks
If you apply for ILR before oct 2013 , you will be exempted from english test, anyone applying for ILR after oct 2013 will have to give english test along with the LiUK

khurramalvi
United Kingdom

Re: Life In the UK test and English language requirement

Post by khurramalvi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the reply. Please can you send a UKBA reference link?
david1955 wrote:If you apply for ILR before oct 2013 , you will be exempted from english test, anyone applying for ILR after oct 2013 will have to give english test along with the LiUK

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:13 am

If you read through form SET(M) you'll be able to check the current language requirements for ILR. You've been given the correct advice that only the KOL test is required until October 2013.

khurramalvi
United Kingdom

Post by khurramalvi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:20 am

I can see information on SET(M) form section 5.

Thanks very much.
Casa wrote:If you read through form SET(M) you'll be able to check the current language requirements for ILR. You've been given the correct advice that only the KOL test is required until October 2013.

rasinrdj

Post by rasinrdj » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Khurram,
Congrats for passing the test and good luck with your application.
Can you share the preparation materials/sites you've used for the life in uk test.

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rasinrdj

Post by rasinrdj » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks sushdmehta