ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When my non EU Wife arrives on FP for the first time.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Don't waste too much time on this Salem.

She would be entitled to NHS medical care even if you were both homeless for some reason and had no power bill.
I commend the OP being well organised. I encountered difficulties registering with a GP. Nothing that could not be overcome, but they wanted proof of address, etc

Perhaps, it seems to depend on the practice and demand for services.

People with emergency requirements will be dealt with, but for the more routine, it's best to be registered.

Just my twopence worth...

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Salem wrote:Thanks for the advice Mr Directive.

So maybe it's best for us to fill in the Landing Card, as it's my Wife's first time in the UK?

If they ask for it it's done, if they don't, then no problem anyway?
For the avoidance of doubt, no landing card can be asked for. Stand your ground.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:29 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Don't waste too much time on this Salem.

She would be entitled to NHS medical care even if you were both homeless for some reason and had no power bill.

I commend the OP being well organised. I encountered difficulties registering with a GP. Nothing that could not be overcome, but they wanted proof of address, etc

Perhaps, it seems to depend on the practice and demand for services.

People with emergency requirements will be dealt with, but for the more routine, it's best to be registered.

Just my twopence worth...

Thanks again Very Happy

It will be hard enough for my Wife to adjust to a totally different Culture and Country, so i'm trying to do everything i can to make it as smooth as possible for her.

Firstly, we'll not complete the Landing Card then. I just don't want any hassle at Heathrow, so was going to fill it in, in case they did ask. But if that's the rules, that it's not required, then so be it!

About the GP, yea i know if my Wife needs urgent Medical assistance, she will get it. Such is the beauty of the great NHS. But i just want her to get Registered at a local GP anyway, for any routine things as you say, but also part of the process for her to integrate as much as possible and be in the 'system'. Same as getting her name on the Bills, getting her a phone Contract to her new home adress etc.

We fly to Belfast 4 weeks after we arrive in the UK, for a week at my Mothers for Xmas. I'm going to hold on and apply for the Residents Card when we come back, have it all set to Post end of Decemeber the day we are back. It's just my Wife will need her Passport to travel to Belfast and back. I know you can request it back after application, but by reading the waiting time Thread, i don't think they even send the COA out in 4 weeks, nevermind search for and return a Passport! So to be safe, i'll do it when we come back. I know it's best to apply straight away, but in my scenario, i think it's best i wait 4/5 weeks. Also, the bonus in doing it this way for us, is that it gives us 4 weeks to sort out Registering at a GP, opening a Bank A/C etc, things you need a Passport for.

That's the Plan so far, you might have noticed, i'm a tad happy and excited at the prospect of my Wife coming to live with me in the UK Very Happy

All the advice given is greatly appreciated, thanks again to everyone who has contributed, and anything else anyone thinks would be helpfull, i'd be eager to hear.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: When my non EU Wife arrives on FP for the first time.

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Family members do not normally need to produce landing cards. However,
this does not apply when a person’s claim to be a family member is assessed
and accepted for the first time at port and admitted on a Code 1A. This is
because we do not otherwise have a record of the person.
This could be written better (ie the UKBA guidance). What it means to say is that an EEA family member does not need to fill in a landing card. It goes onto suggest that those who do not possess family permit, residence card or pr card may be requested to do so (but they don't have to either).
I agree. She does not need to fill out a landing card since she has an EEA Family Permit.

Salem wrote:It's just my Wife will need her Passport to travel to Belfast and back.
She needs her passport to travel to Belfast??? Do you mean she needs some sort of ID to check in for the flight?

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 pm

Yep, photographic ID for the flight, everyone has to do it, myself included.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Salem wrote:Yep, photographic ID for the flight, everyone has to do it, myself included.
Does she have other photographic ID?

Delaying may be the right choice. It takes a while to settle after a big move, and the less confusion the better.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:21 am

Salem wrote: Firstly, we'll not complete the Landing Card then. I just don't want any hassle at Heathrow, so was going to fill it in, in case they did ask. But if that's the rules, that it's not required, then so be it!
If you get any asked, point out that it is not required. If they give you any hassle, complain.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,

Yes, we're flying with Aer Lingus, so this is the requirements for flying UK/Ireland, Domestic UK flights -

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
Valid Passport
Drivers licence with photo
International student card
National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
Bus pass with photo
Work ID with photo
Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

No Visa is required, Belfast is still in the UK. So i think it's best i wait untill we get back to be sure.

I realise and apologise that this Thread is a bit all over the place, but think there would be many in a similar situation to myself, so hopefully it will be helpfull.

On that note, another question :D

We were legally married in Thailand, the Marriage Cert being in Thai. It was fine for getting the EEA FP in Bangkok, but will it be fine to send with the EEA2 (Residents Card) application, or will i have to get it translated?
I can do it in November when i am over in Thailand, or is it not necessary?

Thanks again....

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Salem wrote: National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards

Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
No doubt, she will have a Thai ID card.

From what I understand, she is not leaving the UK (London to Belfast). Passport not required.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Salem wrote: We were legally married in Thailand, the Marriage Cert being in Thai. It was fine for getting the EEA FP in Bangkok, but will it be fine to send with the EEA2 (Residents Card) application, or will i have to get it translated?
I can do it in November when i am over in Thailand, or is it not necessary
You will need to have it at least translated.

I would suggest that you have it legalised, while you are at it (easier to do when in country of issue than trying to do it in the UK later).

On another note, did they make your wife submit a TB certificate (nothing to worry about, I'm just curious)?

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Salem wrote:

National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards

No doubt, she will have a Thai ID card.

From what I understand, she is not leaving the UK (London to Belfast). Passport not required.

I could be wrong, but my reading of that is an ID Card is okay if the person flying is a Citizen of Ireland or the UK. Any one else has to bring Passport and Visa if applicable, a Visa is not applicable for my Wife. She has a ID Card in her married name.

I don't understand what you mean legalised? I'm legally married, the FP would not have been granted otherwise, no?

It was done at a Thai Amphor (Government Office), i had to get a letter from the UK Embassy to say i had never married before, and free to legally marry. As far as i'm aware, i'm a legally married man.

Yea, we got xray and TB Cert, handed into the VFS in Bangkok with FP Application.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Salem wrote:
I could be wrong, but my reading of that is an ID Card is okay if the person flying is a Citizen of Ireland or the UK. Any one else has to bring Passport and Visa if applicable, a Visa is not applicable for my Wife. She has a ID Card in her married name.
Check with the airline, but, ID card should not just be limited to UK / Ireland citizens.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Salem wrote:
I don't understand what you mean legalised? I'm legally married, the FP would not have been granted otherwise, no?
Legalistaion is a procedure where a foreign issued certificate is certified as being genuine. (Might not be strictly necessary for the UK)
Last edited by EUsmileWEallsmile on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Salem wrote:
Yea, we got xray and TB Cert, handed into the VFS in Bangkok with FP Application.
Did they insist that this was done?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

Hi,

I've just emailed Aer Lingus, so should have a written confirmation soon on whether my Wife needs her Passport to travel. It actually would help me, we could apply for RC before we travel, but i want to see it in writing before i take a chance. I'm aware of UKBA at Belfast, but i would bring a scanned copy of my Wife's Passport and FP so they can check on their computer if the feel they need too.

As for the Xray, yes as far as i'm aware it was required. Maybe Thailand must be on a list of Countried that the UK require this from?

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Was just talking to Aer Lingus. Because my Wife is not a UK or Irish National, she has to bring her Passport or she cannot board. National ID Cards are only allowed if the person is an UK or Irish National.

Not sure if this rule is just specific to Aer Lingus?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

sorry to be a bit daft - but National ID card? I thought they don't exist for the UK and Ireland.

And how can someone tell a person's nationality from his driving licence? It only states place of birth (at least the EU ones).

:?

Update: BA doesn't seem to require a passport - Forms of ID, passports and visas - UK customers.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Salem wrote: As for the Xray, yes as far as i'm aware it was required. Maybe Thailand must be on a list of Countried that the UK require this from?
This is true for applications made under the immigration rules, but not EU ones. Perhaps you might complain?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Jambo wrote:sorry to be a bit daft - but National ID card? I thought they don't exist for the UK and Ireland.

And how can someone tell a person's nationality from his driving licence? It only states place of birth (at least the EU ones).

:?

Update: BA doesn't seem to require a passport - Forms of ID, passports and visas - UK customers.
Not daft at all, the OPs wife will have a Thai ID card. This relates specifically to an internal UK flight with Aer Lingus.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Salem wrote:Was just talking to Aer Lingus. Because my Wife is not a UK or Irish National, she has to bring her Passport or she cannot board. National ID Cards are only allowed if the person is an UK or Irish National.

Not sure if this rule is just specific to Aer Lingus?
This is almost certainly a load of nonsense. EU citizens can use their national ID for example.

This is a domestic flight, the purpose of the ID is to demonstrate that the ticket holder is the same person as is on the booking. (I am not saying that Aer Lingus will accept your wife's Thai ID.) This is not an immigration matter, but an ID matter.

Have you booked flights yet, surely there is more than one carrier?

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 pm

I understand what you guys are saying, but after reading the Website and calling them, my Wife's Passport it has to be! Maybe just a specific Policy of Aer Lingus, not sure. It's one Tube to Heathrow and Aer Lingus from where i live, could fly with Easyjet from Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead. But it's a lot more hassle and much more expensive to get there. Flights are booked anyway.

To be honest, i'm not that bothered, it's only 4 weeks after we arrive, gives me time to do everything we need to do with her Passport, GP Registration etc.

I'm not really bothered about the Xray either, i'm busy enough trying sort things out for when my Wife comes :D

But thanks for the advice and info.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Salem wrote:I understand what you guys are saying, but after reading the Website and calling them, my Wife's Passport it has to be! Maybe just a specific Policy of Aer Lingus, not sure. It's one Tube to Heathrow and Aer Lingus from where i live, could fly with Easyjet from Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead. But it's a lot more hassle and much more expensive to get there. Flights are booked anyway.

To be honest, i'm not that bothered, it's only 4 weeks after we arrive, gives me time to do everything we need to do with her Passport, GP Registration etc.

I'm not really bothered about the Xray either, i'm busy enough trying sort things out for when my Wife comes :D

But thanks for the advice and info.
Good for you, I'm glad you're happy. Hope it all works out for you!

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:31 am

I called up my Power supplier yesterday afternoon, asked them if they had received my fax? They said yes, and it was actioned on Thursday, so my next Bill (due in a week or so) will have both my own, and my Wife's name on the Bill.

Happy days, so hopefully that's the Bank A/C and GP sorted, my Wife can open both with her Passport and utility Bill in her name. The GP Reg will generate an NHS number, and think the NI number will not be too difficult either.

All's good :D

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:49 am

Salem wrote:Yea, we got xray and TB Cert, handed into the VFS in Bangkok with FP Application.
How much did you have to pay for it all?