ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I show Alternative to IELTS

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

riskcapital
Newly Registered

Can I show Alternative to IELTS

Post by riskcapital » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:09 pm

I had my MSc from UK, before my studies I had a English Course for which I have been awarded a certificate..

can i use its as an alternative,

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Can I show Alternative to IELTS

Post by pantaiema » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Nope,
Unless you did BSc degree (not MSc) in the UK

Pantaiema
riskcapital wrote:I had my MSc from UK, before my studies I had a English Course for which I have been awarded a certificate..

riskcapital
Newly Registered

Post by riskcapital » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:16 am

If you check the HO website it says... this

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... _hsmp.html

11. Why are all applicants being tested for English, and what do people need to demonstrate?

Applicants will be judged against criteria designed to better reflect the likelihood of a migrant's labour market success, and the use of English within the UK labour market is seen as a key part of these criteria.

All applicants will be required to speak English to a required level. English language proficiency will be tested at both initial HSMP and at extension stage. A standard of English language equivalent to the widely recognised International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Qualification Level 6 will be required, although some alternative English language tests deemed equivalent to IELTS 6 will also be acceptable. Alternatively, some individuals with evidence of studying a Bachelors degree taught in English will also qualify. Specific evidence required is as follows:

Evidence required for IELTS Test: IELTS Test report form, which must be less than 2 years old at the time of application.
Evidence required for alternative test: Original test report or certificate
Evidence required for a Degree taught in English: Degree certificate, with Honours, and letter from institution confirming degree was taught in English.

Please refer to the HSMP guidance for full information on acceptable evidence.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:28 am

Hi All/Riskcapital,

1) My degree certificate does not mention it is a Bachelor (Hons) Degree, but the NARIC evaluation states, it is comparable to the British Bachelors (Honours).

2) My awarding university provided the certificate giving
My Name:
Date of Award:
Title of Award:
And states that it is certified that "ALL COURSES RUN BY THIS UNIVERSITY IN THE ENGLISH MEDIUM" (Not specific to me)
on the University letter head, with the date, sign and stamp of the university registrar.

Do you think this is good enough to pass the english language requirement?

Thanks,
NNJ10

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Can I show Alternative to IELTS

Post by pantaiema » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:56 am

riskcapital

Will you please clarify whether your BSc degree is equivalent to UK degree according to NARIC. (you mentioned it certificate, that is the reason why I am a little bit confusing)

If yes, than the requirement for IELTS could be waived if you get letter from your institution where you got BSc degree mentioning the whole course was conducted using an english medium.

Your MSc degree does not contribute in this instance.

Pantaiema
riskcapital wrote:I had my MSc from UK, before my studies I had a English Course for which I have been awarded a certificate..

riskcapital
Newly Registered

Post by riskcapital » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:15 am

pantaiema , I am from Pakistan, applied for HSMP with following documents, now i am waiting for my application. Will, I be getting my HSMP on following with 80 ponits. I am only worried and would like to know, will they have some rules neglance on English Language, as I have 5 different confirmation letters, however my IELTS is expired. With following documents.

Covering Letter
Resume
Job Adversitsement Print outs as in Demand
Email of Offers /Interviews of Jobs in UK

Salary Slip
Tax Documents
Salary Certificate
Bank Statement

B.Com Degree ( 2 yr)
B.com Transcipt
MSc Degree from UK ( 1 yr)
MSc Transcitps from UK
University Confirmation Letter of MSc Degree

English Language Certificate from my University in UK
IELTS Test ( However, bit old)
British Council IELTS Test Training and Certifcate
UK University confirmation of English as Medium
Local University confirmation of English as Medium

Passport
Birth Certificate

20 points for your age
35 points for your qualification
5 points for UK Qualification or UK Work Experience
20 points for earning power
80 total points

engrmbk
Newly Registered

Post by engrmbk » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Well two different cases I have come across.
1. HadiHasan (member of this discussion group)
He did his BSc from Karachi, Pakistan and applied for HSMP last month. He got refusal because according to HSMP team his degree not equivalent to British bechelors. But HSMP team didnt object on English language letter from his university that means they do accept that letter.

Second case is of another guy who is working in the UK as medical doctor from the last two years. His case was quite strong with 95 points but they refused his application stating that the English language standard of the university from where he did his Medical study in Pakistan (Khyber Medical College, Peshawar, Pakistan--Quite well known) is less than IELTS band 6 (According to NARIC). Well this English language certificate thing is confusing..... Please let us know if anyone has any information about this. I mean has anyone got approval based on university English language certificate from Pakistan or India?
riskcapital wrote:pantaiema , I am from Pakistan, applied for HSMP with following documents, now i am waiting for my application. Will, I be getting my HSMP on following with 80 ponits. I am only worried and would like to know, will they have some rules neglance on English Language, as I have 5 different confirmation letters, however my IELTS is expired. With following documents.

Covering Letter
Resume
Job Adversitsement Print outs as in Demand
Email of Offers /Interviews of Jobs in UK

Salary Slip
Tax Documents
Salary Certificate
Bank Statement

B.Com Degree ( 2 yr)
B.com Transcipt
MSc Degree from UK ( 1 yr)
MSc Transcitps from UK