ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement - VERY Important Information

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

milz
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement - VERY Important Information

Post by milz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:51 pm

I do believe what I am about to say is VERY important to us all:

English Language Requirement (For people who have NOT done their IELTS qualification):

According to the Guidance notes 'Annex D' we not only have to prove that we have a Degree but we have to prove the following (via a letter by the awarding body):

(1) Confirm your name
(2) Qualification obtained
(3) Date of the award
and the final MOST IMPORTANT SENTANCE:

(4) Whether the COURSE WAS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH.

Which means we ALL have to get a letter from our Universities/Colleges that the COURSE WAS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH.

This apply's to ALL UK DEGREES as well. Failing to do this MAY lead to REFUSAL of your extension.

That 4th point may just slip through people's mind; as many do have UK Degrees and think they dont need to prove anything and they are safe.

I myself have a UK degree and my own university is shocked and is UNABLE to comply with the 4th requirement. They say we can give you an attendance certificate which confirms Points (1), (2) and (3) above but as we are NOT told by the Home Office (about point (4) ) and therefore are unable to comply.

My UK Degree is Bsc in Computing and my own university CANNOT confirm in writing that the Degree was taugh in ENGLISH. How funny is that?

I have spoken to the Dean of the Computing school and he is now aware of this situation. He will work on my case next week to sort this situation out.

So to all Degree holders (Degree, Masters and PHD) please be aware of point 4.

Shall update you with whats happening in my case.

Milz.

ravi_k_b
Newly Registered

Post by ravi_k_b » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 pm

You are lucky u studied in UK.
But how do people who left universties several years back, can communicate and get letters from their universities in home countries ( INDIA in my case) ?
this is toomuch to expect. rule also says even if english language is main language , still you need to get a letter from the univeristy/institution ?
is there any sense in asking this?

Bhumi

Post by Bhumi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:41 pm

hi milz,

Its good to know you have already asked your Uni in UK to provide you with letter for proof of English medium.

But however i would recommend you to wait until they have started implementing this rule on 5th Dec. The reason being, many HSMp solicitors have clearly mentioned that the rules will only be transparent on 5th Dec once they implement the new rules. They are still gonig to issue updates about new rules. Although i dont expect them to improve anything here, but there are chances that they might ask/change some requirements for english medium (like what documents, kind of letter, etc). Therefore in case they ask for some more info in letter you would have to go to the uni again, to request few more changes. Therefore you might as well wait for few days....and then get the final letter. Just avoiding you hassels if there are any changes later.

I too have prepared my letter to be submitted to my Uni in India..but i am waiting for the Rules to be finally implemented...Not many days to wait anyway unless you are running short of time/age requirements.

Let me know what you think???

milz
Newly Registered

Post by milz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:00 pm

hi bhumi,

many thanks for your update. I personally do not think there will be any changes on December 5th. The Home office as far as my experience has never changed rules they have implemented. Especially just after 3-4 weeks of implementing them.

So my advise for you is dont believe in what lawyers are telling you. As it is my visa expires on December 8th. So I need to do things very quickly.

cheers,

Milz.

mna8

Post by mna8 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi,

I got the following response from my university,

To Whom It May Concern

This is hereby to Certify that:

Name:
Reg.Number:
Citizenship:
Place of Birth:
Mother's Name:

was a full time student of the <university name> in the Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree program from the academic year of 1992/93-1 to the academic year of 1995-1996-2 at his own expense.

Fulfilling all the requrements he sat for the state examination on <date>. The state examination board granted him BSc Degree, major in <name of degree> with the qualification excellent (mark out of max. possible 5,00).

The BSc Degree Program is an Engineering Program in English, consequently all the courses during eight semesters were taught in English Language.

Name
Signature and stamp of University
mna

Newly Registered

Post by 77 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi, I had the same problem when I asked CIMA UK to give me a letter stating the course is conducted in english. I think they felt rather insulted by this and refused to give me a letter.I'm not sure what I should do now but feel ridiculous if I have to do IELTS due to this reason

paramjit2k

hi

Post by paramjit2k » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 am

Luckily I did got letter from my university...But it was really a tiring job...as it was central govt indian university....I spent 9 hrs in the university..running one building to other building...After too much run ..I did got he certificate...

:lol:
Regards,

Pam Aujla

Bhumi

Post by Bhumi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:34 am

you are lucky paramjit..that u r in India at this point of time.

For people like us who are in this place..simply not possible to go to india taking leave of work.

I exactly know how much of a nightmare it is to get a letter from the university, expecially where they do not even have E-mail addresses to write to/even reply to. My university is Pune University.....and they claim to have too much work rather than issue a letter. I guess thats why i have opted to get the letter from my college rather than go to uni. Atleast its comparatively smaller than Uni..and someone will listen to you on the phone.

paramjit2k

hi

Post by paramjit2k » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:54 am

Dont u have anyone in India, who can go at your place....u know indian Univ people dont have much authentication process in place...He/she can take ur certificates and pressurise ur univ to issue the certificate...

One thing i want to suggest,,approach ur Univ Registrar for any purpose like this cert.
Regards,

Pam Aujla

Bhumi

Post by Bhumi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:00 pm

well, yes do know quite a lot of people out there. But running here and there and spending the whole day at uni...dont know who will help..with that. but yes, the idea of a registrar sounds good. i did contact the registrar when i needed my transcripts few yrs back. But that too took few days..

Thanks for this info though.

Did you prepare a letter ready for them to print on their letter head and sign or did they format it themselves and gave it to you.

ajani

English Language

Post by ajani » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:19 pm

To 77.
If i understand properly. CIMA stands for Chartered Institute of Management Accountants. If this is correct, i am afraid your certificate will not see you through the English language requirement test.
Your qualification is a Vocational qualification assessed at postgraduate level.
It is clearly stated in the guidelines that vocational qualifications and postgraduate degrees are not acceptable to meet the requirement. So, requesting for a letter from CIMA to confirm you studied in English may not help you.
How about taking the IELTS exams?

alex2000

Post by alex2000 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Reading through some postings in 'english' on this site, i fear the HO may refuse university-endorsed letters submitted by applicants if the applicants' covering letters are of such poor grammar as displayed.

Anyway, i am sure this is 'internet grammar' and people will not write like that in formal communication.

Newly Registered

Post by 77 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Ajani, I read somewhere else in this forum that CIMA was considered as masters and entitled to points. Also, in the HO caseworkers guidance notes of the previous HSMP they had given CIMA as an example for Masters equivalent.

milz
Newly Registered

Post by milz » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:50 pm

77 >> Please make sure that your CIMA is recognised as a Masters Degree course by NARIC. This will keep you on a safer side. Good luck.

Follow this link for IELTS exam dates: http://www.ielts.org/candidates/findout ... le277.aspx

From what I understand it also takes 17 days for getting back the exam results; which may not be a feasible task for most people who want to apply just after December 5th 2006. Best way for them is to get a University / College letter confirming that course was taught in English.

My case is looking good for now; as I have got the right person who is now responsible to issueing such letters. My university is now well aware of the recent changes in rules by the Home Office. Hoping to get my letter within the next few days.

vilkatis

Post by vilkatis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:16 pm

I can understand universities outside the UK resisting this somewhat.

From countries such as the US and Auistralia, lack of such a letter should not stop the process, given you have qualifications from a major, recognized university (not Bobs Hair Salon and Spammy Spammer Parlour).

However, given immigration issues in the UK and news of these changes, it is beyond my ability to accept some of these statements that UK universities are acting in such an insulting AND CRIMINAL manner toward their GRADUATES.

If some UK university is NOT granting you a required letter (instantly and without argument), publish the name, department, contact information and content of the response of the university here. And everywhere else you can think of.

Contact the BBC and the Independent for assistance.

And, provide all such information in detail to the Home Office, with a detailed complaint that they refuse to cooperate with UK law.

The problem should vanish VERY shortly thereafter.

paramjit2k

hi bhumi

Post by paramjit2k » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:53 am

hi...

no they prepared the letter themseleves..i just gave them required things...
Last edited by paramjit2k on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Pam Aujla

milz
Newly Registered

Post by milz » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:11 pm

Just to let everyone know; I have today got a letter from my University confirming my UK Degree was taught in English. Keeping my fingers crossed for the FLR.

miki

Anybody from Mumbai University

Post by miki » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:47 am

Is anyone here, who got letter from Mumbai university about Engg. Degree was taught in English ?

vimg07

Post by vimg07 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Mna8

how did you got letter form mumbai university, what is the procedure for getting letter from mumbai university.

when i called up mum university they told me you have to get letter from your college.

Please advice

pravtech

Post by pravtech » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:43 am

will the HO do verification at institute or college to confirm the english requirement,if even though the letter says the same??

praveen :D

sharafo
Newly Registered

english language requirement

Post by sharafo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi,
I'm from Egypt, my university issued me the degree certificate stating in it that about 75% of the studies were in english language. Does anybody know if this is sufficient or not as a proof for the english language requirement?.

sgodhagodha
Newly Registered

Re: english language requirement

Post by sgodhagodha » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 pm

sharafo wrote:Hi,
I'm from Egypt, my university issued me the degree certificate stating in it that about 75% of the studies were in english language. Does anybody know if this is sufficient or not as a proof for the english language requirement?.
No i guess this is not enough.....sorry for disappointing reply but British HO has kept the school leavers with one printed list ....and its written need LETTER FROM AWARDING BODY (doesnt matter is course is conducted in different college rather than university) SHWOING YOUR NAME, DEGREE, DEGREE AWARDED DATE and SAYING THAT THE ENTIRE COURSE WAS CONDUCTED IN ENGLISH INCLUDONG EXAMS.

SO if you can just explain the situation to ur people in uni they might be able to help .......but my frnd DONT EXPECT ANY HELP FROM HO as they just know how to follow the path (in other word guidline) blindly without using any logical situation though the rules is right or wrong....and HO Experts dont have time to think @ rule .......so i dont know......
GOD BLESS YOU

Rich ZA

Post by Rich ZA » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:55 am

I would agree with sgodhagodha.

Unless your letter says the degree was studied entirely in english your caseworker is highly likely to reject it.

Afterall, the caseworker cannot then establish which of the 4 core areas of English competency you might not have achieved, and is thus compelled to reject your proof of english ability.

The letter will have to be from the same body that awarded your certificate and is written on your certificate.