ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 extension and spending time out of the UK (over 180d)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maggyfu1
Newly Registered

Tier 1 extension and spending time out of the UK (over 180d)

Post by maggyfu1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just extended my Tier 1 General last week and all went smoothly. But i am looking at spending more time out of the UK as i am self employed and my business needs me to spend considerable time abroad and i think this will be around 270 days per year.

As far as i know this shouldnt impact any Tier 1 General extensions but i asked one solicitor and he told me that there is a limitation on how much time you can spend outside the UK even on Tier 1 general. Is this true? I last had a Tier 1 General (for the first time as I switched from HSMP) in Oct 2009 and just extended it by another 2yrs since i spent the past 18mnths out of the UK and therefore dont qualify for ILR.

So just wanted to check with you guys if this solicitor is indeed right and i wont be able to extend the visa in 2 years time as i will spend so much time away?

ANy clarification would be appreciated

cheers
Maggy

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 1 extension and spending time out of the UK (over 1

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 pm

maggyfu1 wrote:i asked one solicitor and he told me that there is a limitation on how much time you can spend outside the UK even on Tier 1 general. Is this true?
No.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

maggyfu1
Newly Registered

Post by maggyfu1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi Sushdmehta,

Thanks for your reply.

cheers
Maggy

sujyo

Post by sujyo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm

I got my Tier 1 general in Oct 2009 valid till Oct 2012. I went India in March 2010 and came back UK in Feb 2012. My extension was due in Oct and I did it in sept.

I showed 7 months in UK as income and 5 months from India and everything went smoothly.

Only Problem is I may not qualify for ILR.

maggyfu1
Newly Registered

Post by maggyfu1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Sujyo,

thanks for your reply. Same story here, hopefully it will be safe to re-extend the Tier 1 again but basically my 5 year clock is reset now i guess! :)