ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife's name change: what paperwork?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yggdrasil
Ireland

Wife's name change: what paperwork?

Post by yggdrasil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi All-

I am renewing the visa for my dependents. My wife changed her surname to mine when we were married (years before we came to the UK the first time). When we got her visa last time we supplied her old passport which showed her name change in the back. However, we no longer have access to this passport (unfortunately left it in storage in our home country). We have our marriage certificate, her current passport, her birth certificate here. Is this adequate, or do we need to somehow get some kind of documentation of the name change to renew? Getting new paperwork showing the change is hard to do under normal circumstances, but from overseas I'm not sure how I would manage it.

Thanks so much for your help as always

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 pm

The extension will be issued under the name as specified in the passport (current at the time of extension).

If that passport mentions your wife's maiden name, then you'll need to get the same amended (to your surname) from the embassy of the country that your wife is a citizen of.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

yggdrasil
Ireland

Post by yggdrasil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks very much for the response, sushdmehta. The current passport matches my name and is her current surname so I think that's ok. The reason I am asking is that the application requests that she specify any previous names under which she was known, and proof of having changed her name. That is where I am at a loss for what to provide. One of my daughter's birth certificates shows both of my wife's names, maiden name and married name.

I haven't found good information on what I need to provide here!

Thanks for the help!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 am

Ah! The proof in such case is the marriage certificate.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

yggdrasil
Ireland

Post by yggdrasil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Ok, great, thanks so much for the help!

my_user_name

Post by my_user_name » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 am

Hi,

I am in the same situation where my wife had a different surname before marriage. However marriage certificate shows new surname and all the passports shows new surname.

I have got an affidavit for the change of name for my wife. Would that be sufficient to provide?

Thanks,

yggdrasil
Ireland

Post by yggdrasil » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm

my_user_name wrote: I have got an affidavit for the change of name for my wife. Would that be sufficient to provide?
I think you need some kind of official or government documentation. I am not sure at all about an affidavit. Hopefully someone else knows and can help you!