ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postal or in-person application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chiba
Newly Registered

Postal or in-person application

Post by chiba » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am

Hi all,

My girlfriend (Japanese )and I (UK) are planning to get married in the UK and then she will apply for her visa. She doesn't really want to be without her passport for a long time encase she needs to travel back to Japan. Potentially how long will they need to keep her passport?

Is it possible to get a premium service for this and how much does it cost?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Postal or in-person application

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 am

chiba wrote:Potentially how long will they need to keep her passport?
From the day you submit the application until they post it back after making a decision.
chiba wrote:Is it possible to get a premium service for this and how much does it cost?
Yes. Read the FLR(M) form.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

chiba
Newly Registered

Re: Postal or in-person application

Post by chiba » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 am

sushdmehta wrote:
chiba wrote:Potentially how long will they need to keep her passport?
From the day you submit the application until they post it back after making a decision.
chiba wrote:Is it possible to get a premium service for this and how much does it cost?
Yes. Read the FLR(M) form.
Hi,

My girlfriend is under the impression that she can book an appointment and on that day take all the documents including her passport and they will process it at that time, and then hand back her passport. Sounds like this is wrong from what you are saying?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 am

The first statement in my response assumes a postal application.

Also, do note that an in person application does not guarantee a "same day decision". That said, since leave is now granted on a BRP (and not as a vignette on the passport, I believe the passport is returned even if a decision is deferred.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

chiba
Newly Registered

Post by chiba » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 am

sushdmehta wrote:The first statement in my response assumes a postal application.

Also, do note that an in person application does not guarantee a "same day decision". That said, since leave is now granted on a BRP (and not as a vignette on the passport, I believe the passport is returned even if a decision is deferred.
Thanks. It makes sense that they don't need to keep the passport , but may take further time to decide. She's just scared about not being able to go home in an emergency and it's ridiculous keeping someone's passport for months. I guess a temporary one could be obtained from her embassy though.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:36 am

What is your girlfriends current immigration status and when does this expire?

chiba
Newly Registered

Post by chiba » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Greenie wrote:What is your girlfriends current immigration status and when does this expire?
She's here on a two year Youth Mobility Scheme visa and it expires in April '13.

I am currently on a one year contract earning 25k so we thought it would be good to apply now while meeting the financial requirements. I have 6 months of previous payslips too.