ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PEO appointment booked, Dependent passports are late

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nmm

PEO appointment booked, Dependent passports are late

Post by nmm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Hello friends,

I have booked the PEO appointment for ILR on 18 Oct. My dependent's passports are going to expire on 17 Oct for which I already applied for renewal. I was suppose to collect the new passports on 21 Sep but today I received text from Pakistan embassy in London that due to delay in printing and shipment passports are late and now I can collect on 17 Oct.

This is very frustrating situation for me as I have already booked the appointment and preparing the case. Although my appointment is on 18 Oct, the very next day of collection but I suspect that it might take more time. I want to prepare for any situation so I request senior members to help me the possible solution for this problem.

Option 1. Should I try to reschedule to appointment to later date to be on safer side? My leave expire on 5 Nov.

Option 2. Don't change the appointment. If I will be able to get the passports on 17 Oct that's fine otherwise prepare a cover letter to explain the situation. Is this risky?

Option 3. As far as I know the passport should be valid for six months to apply for visa? Is this true? If not then I can try to find & book PEO appointment on early date (i.e. before 17 Oct) so the passports will be valid on the appointment date.

4. Any other suggestion please?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: PEO appointment booked, Dependent passports are late

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 pm

nmm wrote:As far as I know the passport should be valid for six months to apply for visa? Is this true?
Only for "tourist" visa.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

nmm

Post by nmm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks Shushdmehta,
I have tried to search on UKBA website about passpory validity requirement for ILR but can't find. Do you know if such information is on their website?

nmm

Post by nmm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:34 am

Now I think option 2 is better as if I will get passport on 17th, everything will go normal
But in worst scenario, do UKBA will accept expired passports with the cover letter?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 am

nmm wrote:Thanks Shushdmehta,
I have tried to search on UKBA website about passpory validity requirement for ILR but can't find. Do you know if such information is on their website?
Imaginary / non requirements are not documented on UKBA website.

nmm

Post by nmm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks Sushdmehta,

Today I called UKBA helpline and they confirmed me that they can issue ILR on expired passports as well !!

nmm

Post by nmm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I sent this query to SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk just to get the confirmation in writing but I received this reply
Dear Sir

We would expect an applicant to provide a current passport (i.e. one that is valid). Application Form and Guidance (page 16) states that

For the application to be valid and complete, the applicant must provide his/her original current passport or travel document unless it is not available for one of the reasons specified on the application form.

This would mean that we have to see a current valid passport with the application or that the applicant has a reason for the passport not being available that is specified on the application form.

The reasons given on the form are:
□ Lost - go to question
□ C7 Yes
□ Stolen - go to
□ question C8 No
□ Expired - returned to
national authorities
□ Elsewhere in the UK
Border Agency - go to
question C7

We could accept that a previous passport has expired and been returned to a national authority, however we would still expect to see a current passport.

In which case we would be unable to accept the application without a current passport, unless one of the reasons above was given as to why a passport was not available.
This response is quite confusing and also I can't find this question on the forms or guidance (as he referred on page 16). Even I couldn't found anywhere on form SET(O) any question about dependent's passports? Am I missing something?

nmm

Post by nmm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Am I Wrong?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm

The application being referred to in the email is the Tier 1 (General) application form, not the SET(O) form.

nmm

Post by nmm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks sushdmehta, you really cleared up my confusion

I don't know why he referred to Tier-I(G) form while I mentioned that I am applying for ILR. I have sent him another email, let's see what response I will get.

sushdmehta, I have seen few threads regarding this issue but not found anyone who actually applied using expired passport. Do you know anyone who attended PEO appointment with expired passports and what is response of caseworker?

nmm

Post by nmm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:35 am

The reply I got from UKBA

I think it's their policy to not provide anything clear in writing.

Over the phone lady told me clearly that they can issue ILR on expired passports and there is no need to provide covering letter.
Dear Sir,

Although conditions of leave are now entered onto a biometric residence permit and not on vignettes inserted into passports, the PEO will need to see the passports for the number of absences from the UK, as this will help them to decide whether or not your family life in the UK is still subsisting.

You would be advised to include the expired passports, and the letter from the embassy with your application. You should be aware that without your dependents’ passports, it may be the case that the PEO would not make a decision on the day, but would refer the case to a settlement casework team.

I trust this helps.