ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jasonin
Newly Registered

Re: OCI enquiry

Post by jasonin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 am

jignesh4800 wrote:Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding PART B of the OCI application form:

For Question 16, 'Does the country of applicants permit dual citizenship in some form or the other?

The UK permits dual citizenship so I should circle 'YES' right?

Also, when self attesting the photocopies, are signatures required on the front or the back of the document?

Thank you!
Just sign in front. Write you full name below the signature and put the date.

manoj123
United Kingdom

Post by manoj123 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 am

My timeline:

Applied in person at HCI-London: 13-Aug-2012
Acknowledged: 13-Aug-2012
Photo/Signature scanned: 16/Aug/2012
Registration granted: 04/Sep/2012
Documented printed: 05/Sep/2012
Dispatched from New Delhi: 06/Sep/2012
Documents recieved at London: 12/Sep/2012

I will go and collect personally in the next week or so.

jasonin
Newly Registered

Post by jasonin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Guys, just a question. Do they provide an OCI card or is it just the VISA that is pasted to your passport?

BroMo
Newly Registered

Post by BroMo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Jasonin:

You get a sticker in your passport and a OCI Card /Booklet. When your passport expires you can either just carry your expired passport with you to show your visa sticker or return to HCI to get it transffered to your new passport.

BroMo
Newly Registered

New Family Application

Post by BroMo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Looks like we are finally ready to apply for our OCIs but just wanted some clarification.

My Dad was born and raised in India and surrendered his Indian Passport when he got British Citizenship but lost the Home Office letter which stated the surrender. So we have for him a Notarised Affidavit for his Passport Surrender, His Indian High School certificate and his Naturalisation certificate and of course his Current British Passport.

So Questions are:
1) Is the evidence listed enough? and Am I Right in reading the eligibility criteria right in that you only require One Parent or One Grandparent to be born in India or Possesed an Indian Passport to obtain OCI?
2) I was born here, So with his evidence above, coupled with my Full Birth Certificate, his Marriage Certificate and My British Passport be enough to get my OCI?
3) If the above 2 points are valid, will my son (10 months) also be able to apply at the same time. Obviously My Dads Application will be on his own and then Mine and My Sons in a Family Application.

Will it be enough for just my Dad to go to HCI in London or will I need to be there as well to submit documents.

Thanks in advance. Booked to go in December for a month with the whole family. Just need to sort all this out first

sjgul

Re: New Family Application

Post by sjgul » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 pm

BroMo wrote:Looks like we are finally ready to apply for our OCIs but just wanted some clarification.

My Dad was born and raised in India and surrendered his Indian Passport when he got British Citizenship but lost the Home Office letter which stated the surrender. So we have for him a Notarised Affidavit for his Passport Surrender, His Indian High School certificate and his Naturalisation certificate and of course his Current British Passport.

So Questions are:
1) Is the evidence listed enough? and Am I Right in reading the eligibility criteria right in that you only require One Parent or One Grandparent to be born in India or Possesed an Indian Passport to obtain OCI?
2) I was born here, So with his evidence above, coupled with my Full Birth Certificate, his Marriage Certificate and My British Passport be enough to get my OCI?
3) If the above 2 points are valid, will my son (10 months) also be able to apply at the same time. Obviously My Dads Application will be on his own and then Mine and My Sons in a Family Application.

Will it be enough for just my Dad to go to HCI in London or will I need to be there as well to submit documents.

Thanks in advance. Booked to go in December for a month with the whole family. Just need to sort all this out first
a). I think your Dad need to have OCI, does he has OCI? If he is applying now, then I am not sure how it really works - you need to wait till he get OCI, or you can show the reference of his application when applying.
b). It is good to go to IHC asap and not loose time now if you have to go in December and you really want to go on OCI and not any extra VISAs, try submit your application over there with all the documents you list above, it may be an trip extra as they may ask more documents (which nobody over here can gurantee what they might ask for, even if you collect loads of relevant and irrelevant docs). So, it is better to visit them asap, and be prepared for a second trip as your case is bit specific. FYI - IHC is really overloaded at the moment, with lots of rush from applicants who want to go in December on OCI.
c). If he makes a first trip on his own, and try submit even your application, give a try. If IHC refuse, and want yourself and your family application is from you/your spouse, you can make a second trip. But honestly, no body can give a 100% judgement on this forum. Perhaps, even in IHC, their comments/behaviour might vary from 1 customer-officer to another.

Make sure the photos are 51*51 standard, on a non-white (light background), Part A of application for any minor has thumb impression (I think left hand for male etc.).

Good Luck.

jasonin
Newly Registered

Post by jasonin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 am

BroMo wrote:Jasonin:

You get a sticker in your passport and a OCI Card /Booklet. When your passport expires you can either just carry your expired passport with you to show your visa sticker or return to HCI to get it transffered to your new passport.
Thanks BroMo :)

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I had applied online for OCI on 03-Sep-2012 and the application through post reach the london office on 05-Sep-2012. The status page still shows as 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number.'.

Does anyone who applied through Post with similar timelines have any progress.

Am I right in entering the UK passport no in the online status page?

Thanks
Val

jasonin
Newly Registered

Post by jasonin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:39 am

valluvan wrote:I had applied online for OCI on 03-Sep-2012 and the application through post reach the london office on 05-Sep-2012. The status page still shows as 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number.'.

Thanks
Val
You are right in entering your Uk passport no. The website says it can take two weeks for a postal application to be acknowledged.

Sudra
Newly Registered

Naturalisation form requirment

Post by Sudra » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi,

My mother wishes to apply for an OCI.
She was born in Mumbai 1938
Moved to Kenya 1955
Moved to UK in 1967
British Citizen to date
Will she require a naturalisation form for applying for OCI?
Thank you for looking at this, and hope to hear from you soon

Nnaruladr
Newly Registered

HCI Application for OCI

Post by Nnaruladr » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi
Here's a new one. Can I still apply to HCI London (afresh) if I have already registered for part A of OCI application with CGI Birrmingjam, which I did before coming across this forum:-(. Any replies would be much appreciated.

manoj123
United Kingdom

Re: HCI Application for OCI

Post by manoj123 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Nnaruladr wrote:Hi
Here's a new one. Can I still apply to HCI London (afresh) if I have already registered for part A of OCI application with CGI Birrmingjam, which I did before coming across this forum:-(. Any replies would be much appreciated.
I think you fill the online application again using CGI-London and submit at London. I noticed an error in the application after printing the application and so filled it again...but both done at CGI-London. If you haven't submitted, probably they will discard the details after few weeks.

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 am

jasonin wrote:
valluvan wrote:I had applied online for OCI on 03-Sep-2012 and the application through post reach the london office on 05-Sep-2012. The status page still shows as 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number.'.

Thanks
Val
You are right in entering your Uk passport no. The website says it can take two weeks for a postal application to be acknowledged.
Thanks Jasonin.. It is still not yet acknowledged...Beginning to worry now.. Does anyone applied through post got it acknowledged recently?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm

>>I had applied online for OCI on 03-Sep-2012 and the application through post reach the london office on 05-Sep-2012. The status page still shows as 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number.'.

Does anyone who applied through Post with similar timelines have any progress. >>

Currently it is taking about 4 wks to acknowledge registration.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 pm

>>Hi
Here's a new one. Can I still apply to HCI London (afresh) if I have already registered for part A of OCI application with CGI Birrmingjam, which I did before coming across this forum:-(. Any replies would be much appreciated.>>

You can register as many times as you want.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 pm

>>Will she require a naturalisation form for applying for OCI?
Thank you for looking at this, and hope to hear from you soon>>

She needs to apply for OCI using the appropriate online form, see embassy website for details

Nnaruladr
Newly Registered

Post by Nnaruladr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Many thanks.
gidoc wrote:>>Hi
Here's a new one. Can I still apply to HCI London (afresh) if I have already registered for part A of OCI application with CGI Birrmingjam, which I did before coming across this forum:-(. Any replies would be much appreciated.>>

You can register as many times as you want.

unmeshg
Newly Registered

Post by unmeshg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:55 am

The latest announcement from CGI brimingham is as below,this was posted on 21/09/2012

An increased flow of applications has resulted in a corresponding increase in the waiting time. It is informed that applications received on 28.05.2012 could be cleared (granted) on 21.09.2012. This information is expected to help the applicants to know the approximate time it would take in finally obtaining the service. It is relevant to note that it takes about 10-15 days for the OCI visa and card to arrive from India after it has been granted. The delay is despite our best efforts and is sincerely regretted.

jasonin
Newly Registered

Post by jasonin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

The following were my timelines.

Application in person : 22/08/2012 (in person at London)
Date of acknowledgement : 22/08/2012
Photo/Signature Scanned : 29/08/2012
Registration granted : 11/09/2012
Documents printed : 12/09/2012
Dispatched from Delhi :14/09/2012
Documents Recd London : 24/09/2012

Will collect in person at London next week maybe. This forum has been a great help. Thanks to everyone.Specially for the advise to apply at London rather than anywhere else. Took a bit of time for the docs to reach London. Could be because of Ganesh holidays. Anyway it is a relief to have been granted the OCI. All the best to those who are waiting for theirs and to those applying. My advise to anyone applying and needing the OCI urgently- apply at London.

Nnaruladr
Newly Registered

Post by Nnaruladr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:20 pm

This forum has been very useful.
Apologies if its a daft question. I intend to send in my oci application by post ( royal mail special delivery). How does it get acknowledged? Imean do they post back an acknowledgement receipt, if so do i have to send them a self addressed envelope? or does it get acknowledged in the on line status of application?
Many thanks

ILR_Queries

Post by ILR_Queries » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Good Question, why posting to Birmingham... Because i wanted to go in person to get the OCI sticker done, once its approved rather
than travelling all the way up to London, that's the reason.

Kind Regards

valluvan wrote:
ILR_Queries wrote:Aaah.. atlast i got the acknowledgement after 3 weeks of posting my application with Birmingham CGI... Only GOD knows, when i will receive my OCI stamps. Doh!!!!

Kind Regards

ILR_Queries wrote:
Aa2012 wrote:Hi

Thanks for replying :) My stress is OVER!! Thank goodness!!

Basically I faxed a polite letter to the consulate (0121-2122786) explaining my need for my passport and oci. I then rang from 4:30pm cgi Birmingham the strange thing is they rang me back...can you believe it I actually SPOKE to someone!! She was rather abrupt but I was and am so thankful its all sorted out now!! she said my passport and oci card are being sent out today and I will receive tomorrow

Thank you

:D
Hi,

Is this number still correct? (0121-2122786) ?? I sent out a
fax early this week and still no response from CGI, Birmingham.

Its almost 3 weeks now ever since i sent my OCI application in the next day delivery post and i haven't got my acknowledgement yet.

Kind Regards
Good... But I wonder why you sent the postal application to CGI Birmingham in the first place. CGI Birmingham i think takes about 3 months for OCI and you would have been better off posting to HCI london. I think it takes about 6 weeks there?

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm

ILR_Queries wrote:Good Question, why posting to Birmingham... Because i wanted to go in person to get the OCI sticker done, once its approved rather

Kind Regards

]
Oh ok. I however have to eat my own words!!!.

Sent my application by Post to London on 03-Sep. The online status shows as acknowledged on 20-sep. But until today it shows as 'UnderProcess'.. May be the London Postal applications team is trying to match the SLA s of their Brum counterparts!!

jhunjhun
Newly Registered

Post by jhunjhun » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 am

valluvan wrote:
ILR_Queries wrote:Good Question, why posting to Birmingham... Because i wanted to go in person to get the OCI sticker done, once its approved rather

Kind Regards

]

Sent my application by Post to London on 03-Sep. The online status shows as acknowledged on 20-sep. But until today it shows as 'UnderProcess'.. May be the London Postal applications team is trying to match the SLA s of their Brum counterparts!!
hi valluvan,

Is there any update on your application status.
I have applied in person in birmingham on 21st of sept, still showing 'UnderProcess'.

Thanks

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:17 pm

jhunjhun wrote:
valluvan wrote:

Kind Regards

]

hi valluvan,

Is there any update on your application status.
I have applied in person in birmingham on 21st of sept, still showing 'UnderProcess'.

Thanks
My status still shows as under process.

Date Of Acknowledgment 20-SEP-2012
Photo/Signature at Mission : Scanned On 04-OCT-2012
Registration Status at Mission : UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status On
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ): NEW DELHI On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at LONDON NOT YET

barnsley11
Newly Registered

Oci status

Post by barnsley11 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Date of application : 28th sep 2012.
method : by post to London
Acknowledgement :23 Oct 2012
Date of acknowledgement of my son application : 12 th Oct 2012.
Last edited by barnsley11 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.