ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eurozone and EEA permits

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Beccarose
Newly Registered

Eurozone and EEA permits

Post by Beccarose » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:47 pm

I am taking this from another site because I am hoping for some definitive answers on this question. The following was quoted to me:
Don't set your heart on getting British citizenship in 5 years time under EU laws, just in case this eurozone crisies gets much worse. If it does, I think the UK will get out of the EU.
Is this really the case? And if so, what is the likelihood of it actually happening? And if it does happen what happens to all of the people who entered the UK under EEA family permits before this comes in to effect?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 pm

This has been discussed several times in the past.

See one example here - Position of Residence card holders should UK leave the EU.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Eurozone and EEA permits

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:27 am

Beccarose wrote:I am taking this from another site because I am hoping for some definitive answers on this question. The following was quoted to me:
Don't set your heart on getting British citizenship in 5 years time under EU laws, just in case this eurozone crisies gets much worse. If it does, I think the UK will get out of the EU.
Is this really the case? And if so, what is the likelihood of it actually happening? And if it does happen what happens to all of the people who entered the UK under EEA family permits before this comes in to effect?
It is also possible that the UK could amend its naturalisation laws. So, don't worry about five years down the line.

Beccarose
Newly Registered

Post by Beccarose » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Thank you both, I'm still learning to take what I read on boards with a grain of salt when called for. :D

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 pm

I think what we are both saying is not to worry about what might happen, you can't control that. Best of luck.