ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after marriage but before changing visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sarah2012
Newly Registered

Travel after marriage but before changing visa?

Post by sarah2012 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the above topic? Myself an my fiancé are due to marry in 3 weeks and I was wondering of we could travel after we have married but before we have applied for our flr! I am a British citizen and my finances visa doesn't expire until January we are in the process of booking an appointment for the flr to be done in person! I asked at border control and the member of staff said as long as we don't let the border staff know we are married already this will not be a problem? But does anyone know if this will cause us a problem as his passport staff will say he entered again after our marriage!

Thank you!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 am

So you want to get married and go on honeymoon! It would have to be a real jobsworth who wanted to construct a refusal of entry out of that, and it would simply not be logical.

Firstly, your fiance has leave to enter and re-enter for the 6 months duration of the visa. Even if that was cancelled, he would have the right of appeal before removal from the UK.

Secondly, it is open to your fiance to make an application for FLR at any time before that visa expires.

Thirdly, the only grounds for cancellation of a visa are that it was gained by deception, or that there has been a change of circumstances since its issue. It would be an extreme abuse of process to refuse entry to someone because he is no longer a fiance when he has simply fulfilled the purpose for which the visa was issued.

Upon re-entry, the IO may well ask him where his fiancee is and when you intend to get married. If he does ask this, much better to tell the truth and say you've already done the evil deed. I would recommend that your date of re-entry should be a good few days before expiry of his visa, so that there can be no doubt that he can submit an in-time application. It would also do no harm to download an FLR application form, complete it as far as you can and carry it with you, demonstrating your further intentions, or if you have an acknowledgement of a PEO appointment, take that.

sarah2012
Newly Registered

Post by sarah2012 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:54 pm

many thanks for your reply this has cleared up a few things.