ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application for minor .

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

siva0123
Newly Registered

OCI application for minor .

Post by siva0123 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi

I am just coming back from a wasted day at Indian high commission ,London

Here is my issue

Me and my wife are still in ILR but my daughter holds a British passport now as she was born here ..

I have surrendered her Indian passport already and went to apply for her OCI today . However the gentleman at the OCI counter refused to accept the application saying that for minors to apply for OCI one of the parent should hold an OCI card or should be eligible for OCI.

Isn't it ridiculous ? I know my brothers kid ,who is an us citizen by birth holds an OCI when both his parents are still Indian citizens

Will I be successful if I apply via post for my daughters OCI or should I need to go with that gentleman's advice of applying for a visa for her and process her OCI once I get mine ..

Thanks
Siva

push
United Kingdom

Re: OCI application for minor .

Post by push » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 pm

siva0123 wrote:Hi

I am just coming back from a wasted day at Indian high commission ,London

Here is my issue

Me and my wife are still in ILR but my daughter holds a British passport now as she was born here ..

I have surrendered her Indian passport already and went to apply for her OCI today . However the gentleman at the OCI counter refused to accept the application saying that for minors to apply for OCI one of the parent should hold an OCI card or should be eligible for OCI.

Isn't it ridiculous ? I know my brothers kid ,who is an us citizen by birth holds an OCI when both his parents are still Indian citizens

Will I be successful if I apply via post for my daughters OCI or should I need to go with that gentleman's advice of applying for a visa for her and process her OCI once I get mine ..

Thanks
Siva
The gentleman at HCI is correct. Minors can not apply for OCI unless their parents are eligible for OCI.
"
What are the eligibility criteria for minor applicants to get OCI?

One of the parents should be eligible for OCI"
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I have also checked the Indian Embassy in US' website and it states:
Please select this service if you would like to apply for an OCI card as a minor and you do not hold a PIO card. If both parents are Indian citizens, the minor applicant should apply for a PIO instead.
regards,
push

siva0123
Newly Registered

Post by siva0123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am

Dear moderator.

so does that mean I can apply for PIO for my daughter. I have checked their site but couldnt find any requirement stating that one of the parents should hold a PIO for a PIO application of a minor.

your help mould be much appreciated

Regards
Siva

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:05 am

Why dont you wait till you become eligible for an OCI status? You can apply for a tourist/ long-term entry visa for your child in the meanwhile.
Last edited by push on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards,
push

siva0123
Newly Registered

Post by siva0123 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks Push.

I would be eligibile for British Citizenship only next april and that means i would be in a position to apply for my OCI only around september next year , considering the time lines for naturalisation.

In the meantime we are planning to visit India this December and I would need to have either a Visa or a PIO card for my daughter

It seems PIO is possible as I can gather from some other posts in the forum and also as pointed by you earlier by brother's kid from US holds only a PIO and not an OCI ..

I would give a try for PIO on Monday and if there are problems , I am planning to go for a VISA.

Thanks for your help and suggestions though. They were really helpful ..

Regards
Siva

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm

siva0123 wrote:Thanks Push.

I would be eligibile for British Citizenship only next april and that means i would be in a position to apply for my OCI only around september next year , considering the time lines for naturalisation.

In the meantime we are planning to visit India this December and I would need to have either a Visa or a PIO card for my daughter

It seems PIO is possible as I can gather from some other posts in the forum and also as pointed by you earlier by brother's kid from US holds only a PIO and not an OCI ..

I would give a try for PIO on Monday and if there are problems , I am planning to go for a VISA.

Thanks for your help and suggestions though. They were really helpful ..

Regards
Siva
Consider applying for a multiple-entry 5-year Long Term Entry Visa. Two days turn-around time!!
regards,
push

gopsmaddy
Newly Registered

PIO or Long Term Visa

Post by gopsmaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi,

I am also planning to apply PIO or LongTerm VISA for my baby as she is still eligilble for OCI only with me.
Confused with PIO or LongTern VISA ?? Please suggest.

Thanks,