ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport received. Visa in Post. Can we still travel?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Steve_73
Newly Registered

Passport received. Visa in Post. Can we still travel?

Post by Steve_73 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:20 pm

My wife and I were hoping to go to France from the UK tomorrow to celebrate our 2nd year anniversary. I am British and my wife is Japanese. She has a 2 year spouse visa that will expire in January 2013. Quite recently she changed her name to adopt my surname.

The process has taken longer than previous (possibly business time with student visas?) and this morning she received the passport. The accompanying letter advised us not to travel without the visa which is to follow in about 5 working days.

The letter did not state it was not permitted. Our tickets are booked for tomorrow morning and we are due to return on Tuesday. Currently we unsure as to whether we postpone the anniversary weekend altogether and incur the costs or whether we can still travel and explain if necessary with as much supporting evidence as we can take.

Any further advice would be warmly received. We tried to phone the Border Agency who are closed today.
Thanks

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 am

its better not to travel until visa arrives.
speak to an immigration officer at heathrow on phone & see what they have to say
Manka

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am

You may well have already made your decision as you posted yesterday. Airlines will refuse travel without a valid visa and if you manage to travel and are permitted to enter France your wife is likely to be refused re-entry by UK border staff.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:26 pm

By now you would have made your decision and I certainly hope it was to travel and enjoy your anniversary.

Your wife should have no problems entering the UK. She has extant leave and all she needs to do is explain to the immigration officer exactly what you have explained here. The immigration officer will simply have to check a couple of computer systems away from the control to confirm your claims. Depending on how busy your arrival port/train station is, it really should only result in at most, a twenty minute delay.

As your wife is Japanese she will have no trouble boarding whatever mode of transport you are returning in, visa or no visa. Japanese passengers do not require visas to travel to the UK. The only delay will be at immigration control.

I know people here overwhelmingly try and help but sometimes if you are not 100% certain on things it is better to, at the least,state you are not completely sure about things.

Sadly Steve may have incurred a lot of unecessary costs on the basis of the wrongful advice given.