ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa queries

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

one2ka4

Spouse visa queries

Post by one2ka4 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi, all, sorry if I missed this question answered anywhere, but I searched and can't find it.

I am applying for spouse visa sometime in Nov once we got the results for IELTS for my wife.

I have got rented accomodation, and landlord is a good friend of mine, as far as I know I need to get letter of him that he is ok with the extra person will be in the house.

All I need to know is who does he put addressed to???

Thanks so much for all the efforts you all put in to help people like me in this forum.

Fishgirl
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Fishgirl » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi There

All of my documents either from me, employer or landlord, have addressed letters 'To whom it may concern'.

Otherwise I have mentioned UKBA as they are the people reading it, right.

I should add that I have not submitted yet either so can't say whether this has been sufficient.

Hope that helps.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

'To whom it may concern' should be fine as long as the letters are recent.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi responding to your question on a certified copy. I got mine done for free by a friend - but as a lawyer myself I think you should be looking at about £5 for the biog pages. This is the usual charge for a lawyer witnessing someone sign a statutory declaration with no annexes and the level of work is pretty much the same. They take a photocopy, stamp it with a stamp sign and date it - nothing more.

If you're asking for many pages showing visa stamps etc it will be more, also they may look to charge more if you are trying to set up an actual appointment to get this done, as a particular person has to make themselves available at a specific time, you may be late etc. Personally I would just pop into a high street law firm with some cash and ask if someone can pop out and stamp it for a fiver
Hoping to be reunited soon

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm

I thought it has to be immigration solicitor to be able to certify passport.is that not right then??

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm

No any english qualified solicitor can do it. All they are saying is that the copy is certified as a true copy original (that they have seen). It is not a matter of immigration law

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 pm

but if you are using an immigration lawyer then they should do this as part of their service to you.

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 pm

I am not going to go through immigration solicitor. as mine's pretty straight forward case, so I am going to do it myself. All I need is to certify my passport. I think I will have to shop around for the price. as it seems bit dear £30+vat..

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 am

There are hundreds of solicitors, who have a £5 per page certification rule.

Go to http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ and call the solicitors near and ask for their rates on certifying documents. Just go for the one that says £5...

You need to ask them what will be written by them while certifying, as the requirements are:

Solicitor Name and their firm's name
Their address
Date of certification

Hope this helps.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Harv, thanks for your website link. I managed to find one with £5 a page and each additional £2 a page. Do we need all pages to be certified inc blank pages or just ones with actually any visa or endorsements on it??

Also, do we need anything else to be certified, or just passport would be sufficient??

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi, Harv, I was looking at the documents you have submitted for your application and I got everything and also the more requirements from 9th July rule changes, the only thing I am not sure of is Legal Sponsorship Declaration. Where can I get done this? Is there any special form you need to fill in or what?? thanks again for your time and kind help.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 am

one2ka4 wrote:the only thing I am not sure of is Legal Sponsorship Declaration. Where can I get done this? Is there any special form you need to fill in or what?? thanks again for your time and kind help.
It is not a requirement.

I basically went to see an immigration advisor (not a solicitor) to check my docs and he just wrote a standard statemnet displaying my annual pay and that I will be responsible for my partner's financial requirements as would not cause any burden on the the state for benefits on her behalf.

However this is not required, the advisor did it for me as part of the process and he charged me £200 for al this. Its a bit in excess but he runs a business not a charity :)
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 pm

thnx Harv, I think its been definitely well worth spent money, as you got visa with in six weeks, as normally it could take about 12 weeks.

I know this could be a stupid question, but its completely new for me and I am bit puzzled with how you present your documents, should we punch all the docs in file, as per table contents, or put every single in plastic folder separately.. what would be the most recommendable.

Also do we submit original and photocopies of everything or just take the originals???

sk1989
Newly Registered

Post by sk1989 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

harv wrote:'To whom it may concern' should be fine as long as the letters are recent.
How recent?

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 am

sk1989 wrote:
harv wrote:'To whom it may concern' should be fine as long as the letters are recent.
How recent?

Because I consulted an adviser my adviser mentioned to me that letter if any should be addressed to the 'Immigration Officer in New Delhi' etc etc. To be honest, I think it was not necessary as it was a bit to subjective.

Having said that I had my letters addressed in the following manner:
-----------------------------
British High Commission
Chanakiya Puri
New Delhi
India

Date: The date

Dear Sir/Madam,
-----------------------------

I would imagine the letters should not be older than 3 months form the date of submission. The recent the better, but it is understandable to have a couple of months gap because of travelling + marriage etc time between gathering the docs and submitting the application.

Hope this helps.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:35 pm

I am bit puzzled with how you present your documents, should we punch all the docs in file, as per table contents, or put every single in plastic folder separately.. what would be the most recommendable.

whats ur views on this please..

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:35 am

Just put all the documents in a bundle ordered with the contents page, this is because VFS staff will be examining the contents and may open up the bindings and mess it up.

Just keep everything alligned in an order as to the contents page and it should be fine.

Hope this helps.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 pm

thnks harv, thats been very helpful. Also I got the passport and my OCI certifying done for £20 for 9 pages, so that website u gave has been very helpful and saved me fortune with this solicitor.

I am thinking of using premium service at AHMD VFS centre as my wife's not feeling very confident going on her own, so with premium service hopefully they will be more helpful to her and more concentrating on one application at a time..

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a sample letters of no obligation from landlord and parents etc. as I am not good at all writing formal letters and can do with some help of sample letters..

much appreciate your help again..

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 am

This is what I did for parents letter:

British High Commission
Chanakiya Puri
New Delhi
India

Mr X
Address
Tel: X

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Accommodation arrangements for harv at address

I as the joint tenant at the above property hereby confirm that I do not have any objection if Mr. harv’s spouse come to UK and stay with him at the above property.

harv has sole use of a double bedroom with an ensuite bathroom and toilet and shared access of the Spam and living room.

If any further information is required please contact me at the above address.

Yours faithfully

Mr X
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:18 am

thnks harv for a wonderful letter from parents.. If i would have put it together it would be no where near to what you provided, so thankful for that as its one job sorted for me.

I know i am too demanding phere, but would there be possible for you to do me one more favour if you had sample letter for landlord if you had available. Because landlord just asked me to write letter an he will sign for it.. So i go to prepare that one as well.

I dont know how would i thank enough for what i got from this foum. But i definately try to help people once i got my wife's visa successfully done.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:48 am

Here you go:

British High Commission
Chanakiya Puri
New Delhi
India

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Tenancy agreement - Address

We the management agent for the above property on behalf of the landlord hereby confirm that landlord does not have any objection if Mr. harv’s spouse come to UK and stay with him at the above property.

Kindly contact at the above address if you have any further queries.

Yours faithfully,

Agency
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 pm

thanks, harv, as my wife will be applying from Ahmedabad, do I still put addressed to delhi??

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:09 pm

does any one know, all the applications from any locations in India being forwarded to Delhi and there they will make the decision?/ hope to hear from someone soon, thanks.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

Okay, I checked online that Ahmedabad is infact covered by the Deputy High Comission in Mumbai:

The British Deputy High Commission in Mumbai covers the States of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Goa in WESTERN INDIA.

I would say you address the letter to only as something like:

Bitish High Comission/Deputy High Comission
India

However majority of the people applying does no do this at all. So you may just go with the flow and write down Sir/Madam instead and do not bothor with the top level addressing to the High Comission.
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Nov 2015 - Naturalised