ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Citizenship and Marriage in China

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Dual Citizenship and Marriage in China

Post by nucleus888 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:30 am

I have FULL and DUAL citizenship for both UK and Hong Kong.

I will be marrying to my Chinese girlfriend in China in Feb 2007.

Now my question is ... I usually enter Hong Kong using my HK ID. (no need for my British passort). However when I go to China I usually use my special HK-to-China ID. I do not use my British passort to enter China.

When we get married ... I will be presenting my British passort. (however it will not show a visa on it) because I enter China using my special HK-to-China ID.

Would this matter at all?

If so ... it's not a problem as I can apply for a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong for my British passort.

I just wanted to know if it will be a problem ... using my British passort.

Mafia

Re: Dual Citizenship and Marriage in China

Post by Mafia » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:02 pm

nucleus888 wrote:When we get married ... I will be presenting my British passort.
Could you please clarify who will you be presenting your British passport to when you get married? Chinese authorities?

The Mafia ... :twisted:
Providing alternative opinions ... for better decisions.

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Post by nucleus888 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:05 pm

I thought it was standard to prove that I am a British citizen.

It's because I have a HK ID ... and was born in Hong Kong.

I now live and work in the UK all my life and am a FULL British citizen.

Mafia

Post by Mafia » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:29 pm

When you enter China using your "HK to China ID", you are entering China as a HK Chinese national.

Your British passport is therefore irrelevant as you have not entered China using it. I would not have thought it is necessary for you to present your British passport when you get married in China under this scenario.

I am struggling a bit to understand what exactly is your cause of concern? Do you intend to subsequently bring your wife to the UK?

The Mafia ... :twisted:
Providing alternative opinions ... for better decisions.

smalldog
Ireland

Post by smalldog » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:59 pm

You will find it easier just to use your "HK to China ID". Otherwise you'd need a visa to enter China and you'd have go to to the British embassy/consulate to make a declaration of eligibility to marry.

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Post by nucleus888 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:45 am

I have the following documents ...

1. Statutory Declaration
2. Certificate of non impediment

Both documents have been legalised via the FCO and Chinese Embassy.

What my concern is ... will I be marrying my wife as a British Citizen or a Hong Kong Chinese

I am struggling a bit to understand what exactly is your cause of concern? Do you intend to subsequently bring your wife to the UK?
Yes ... I intend to get married in China and subsequently bring my wife to the UK.

[/quote]

smalldog
Ireland

Post by smalldog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:11 am

It is entirely up to you whether you marry as a British citizen or a HK citizen. I don't think your Chinese marriage certificate will record your nationality, and even if it does it will make no difference when your wife applies for a UK visa. The only things that you need to consider when deciding which nationality to enter China on are:
- visa requirement for British passport
- certificate of non-impediment (you have this already)
- requirement for a health exam before marriage more likely for British passport (some areas reportedly still require this for marriage involving foreigners despite the new marriage law)

If your wife is applying for her UK visa in China you should take your British passport, but it is not necessary to have used it to enter the country or marry with.

Have you thought about getting married in Hong Kong? It is simpler and gives you a marriage certificate in both English and Chinese of which copies can be easily obtained in the future.

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Post by nucleus888 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:24 am

As I have said before ... I don't have a visa for my British passport. It's because I use my HK-2-China ID to enter China.

I guess it shouldn't matter ...

What will she require to apply for a spouse visa to enter the UK.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:22 pm

nucleus888 wrote:What my concern is ... will I be marrying my wife as a British Citizen or a Hong Kong Chinese
it's not even a problem. it would make no difference for whatever you're planning for.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 pm

I married last year in Feb. and I seem to recall that they did in fact check my passport to make sure I had the correct visa (they do put your nationality into the marriage certificate).

You should go to this link http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/lsyw/t27086.htm at the Chinese embassy web site. Point four indicates that they will check your passport for the relevant visa. So if you plan to marry using your UK passport then you will need a visa. If you use your HK ID I would suggest going along to the Chinese embassy to find out what you need to do.

One thing they don’t mention is that for your Certificate of non impediment you should specifically say that you are either a single man / divorced / or widowed. With the later 2 make sure you have the relevant documents. Depending on the registrar’s office you will probably have to get a translation of all your doc’s that are in English into Chinese Mandarin.

Make sure you allow yourself enough time in China to sort all of this out always expect the unexpected.

All the best

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Post by nucleus888 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:59 am

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a visa for my brtitish passort (via HK) before I enter China.

Though I usually don't usually need to with my HK-2-China ID.

I guess it's best to make sure ... as I AM marrying as a British Citizen (using my British passort) rather than a HK Citizen.

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Post by nucleus888 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:31 am

boboselecta
Newly Registered

chinese visa

Post by boboselecta » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:34 am

nucleus888 wrote:Looks like I'm gonna have to get a visa for my brtitish passort (via HK) before I enter China.

Though I usually don't usually need to with my HK-2-China ID.

I guess it's best to make sure ... as I AM marrying as a British Citizen (using my British passort) rather than a HK Citizen.
Hi mate, i did exactly as you 2 months before :) Yes you defintely need a chinese visa for your british passport! cos you are going to have to go through the British consulate when your wife applies for her spouse visa. They will need to photocopy your British passport WITH your chinese visa in it. best to keep everyone on the british side happy if you know what i mean :)

boboselecta
Newly Registered

Post by boboselecta » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 am

[quote="nucleus888"]I have the following documents ...

1. Statutory Declaration
2. Certificate of non impediment

Both documents have been legalised via the FCO and Chinese Embassy.

What my concern is ... will I be marrying my wife as a British Citizen or a Hong Kong Chinese
--------------------------------------------------

Also... have you translated these two documents into chinese? cos you need to. you can do it in china but they usually charge u an arm and a leg and the engrish isn't that good either :)

nucleus888
Newly Registered

Post by nucleus888 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:52 am

Thanks for the reply ...

Good news. I finally got married ...

I did in fact got a China visa in the end and I used my British passport to enter China.

Yes, the mentioned documents need to be translated into Chinese (not that expensive)

All I need to do for my wife to come over is all the paperwork ... http://www.ukvac.net.cn/

Settlement visa ... http://www.ukvac.net.cn/forms/Checklist ... ations.pdf

OK ... if we submit all the documents et. in April ... how long will she be able to get the visa?

boboselecta
Newly Registered

Post by boboselecta » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:52 am

nucleus888 wrote:Thanks for the reply ...

Yes, the mentioned documents need to be translated into Chinese (not that expensive)
Ha, maybe i went to a dodgy place :)

Which part of China did you get married in? I got mine done in Shanghai and I applied for the Spouse visa there, took less than one month for her visa to be granted :)
I think the time depends on your and your wife's background and the proof you give. We were both employed and she has been abroad many times for study & visit. I handed over 12 months bank statements, bills, pay slips etc... I also handed over all my soppy love letters and photos...

She didn't even need an interview they just sent back her passport with the visa stamped inside. Good luck!!