ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application checklist - Have I missed anything???

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imranh

ILR application checklist - Have I missed anything???

Post by imranh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to get some advice on whether I was missing anything for my wife’s ILR application as the time to apply is getting closer. Below is our background info;

My wife is Pakistani and is here on a settlement visa. She is not working i.e. is a housewife and I am permanently employed earning about £28k salary. My wife arrived in the UK in December 2010 and her visa expiry as appears on the passport is February 2013. She was assessed at pre entry level and thus she attended and completed the ESOL level 1 course, passed the speaking and listening exam and got her certificate. She is due to get her reading and writing exam results and depending on how she does she may get her reading and writing certificate soon as well.

At the moment I have the following documents for the ILR application;

2 banks statements with me and my wife’s full names

2 water bill statements with me and my wife’s full names

2 landline phone bills with my first initial and surname and my wife’s full name.

(I have other bills addressed to both of us such as gas and electric and I also have other bills addressed to us separately such as hospital letters, mobile phone bills, other bank letters, national insurance letters)

My wife’s ESOL Speaking and Listening certificate and also course attendance certificate

Template letter (based on the Home Office version) from the institution providing the course details and that it meets the Home Office requirements

Stamped marriage certificate in Urdu with an English translation (created in Pakistan and used for the settlement visa application)

My Current Account bank statements over the 2 year showing my balance which is currently about 10k – to show that I am financially doing fine.

My wage slips over the 2 year period as proof of my employment

My P60 for 2011 and 2012

My P45 from previous employer (which I left in September 2011)

2 passport sized photos of my wife with her full name on the back

1 passport sized photo of me with my full name on the back

Our recently born child’s birth certificate (child was born in the UK)

SET(M) Form to complete

Here are the questions that I have

1) Are there any documents/things that I need for the application that is not present in the list above?

2) Is it recommended to provide more than 6 letters to strengthen my wife’s ILR application?

3) My wife’s VISA was valid from November 2010 and expires in February 2012. When can I apply and when should I apply?

4) We had a child recently – does my child need to apply for ILR as well or will he be considered British automatically?

5) Am I ok to claim for child benefit if I am entitled to receive it? Could this adversely impact my wife’s application?

6) What is a Biometric Residence Permit? I have looked on the Home Office website and on the guidance notes and I am slightly confused about this. Does my wife need to include this in the application?

I appreciate there are a lot of questions I have posed but I would be really grateful if I can get some answers and advice from the more senior/experienced members. As always thanks in advance for you help and time.

Many Thanks
Kind Regards

jdbatty
Newly Registered

Post by jdbatty » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm

imranh,

We are in a similar situation - due to apply using SET(M) next month so its good to be able to compare notes.

You have a good list of documents. Do the bank / utility statements with your wife's name go back the whole 2 years? i.e. can you prove you were living together in say, March 2011? Also, it might be useful to include a selection of photographs of yourself and your wife together over the past 2 years.

The way I understand the SET(M) instructions, you can apply for ILR up to 28 days before the second anniversary of the date of entry into the UK. For example, my spouse's visa was issued 20Oct10 (expiry Jan2013). Arrived in the UK on 24Oct10, which means we can apply anytime between 28Sep12 and expiry date in Jan2013 (we have secured a PEO appointment for late October).

As I understand it, if either parent of a child is British at the time the child was born, he/she is automatically a British Citizen so no ILR application is required.

I think it is ok for the spouse that is NOT the one on the spouse visa to claim any benefit he/she is entitled to.

I will be interested to know what proof of accommodation others have submitted, if any.

imranh

Post by imranh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 pm

jdbatty wrote:imranh,

We are in a similar situation - due to apply using SET(M) next month so its good to be able to compare notes.

You have a good list of documents. Do the bank / utility statements with your wife's name go back the whole 2 years? i.e. can you prove you were living together in say, March 2011? Also, it might be useful to include a selection of photographs of yourself and your wife together over the past 2 years.

The way I understand the SET(M) instructions, you can apply for ILR up to 28 days before the second anniversary of the date of entry into the UK. For example, my spouse's visa was issued 20Oct10 (expiry Jan2013). Arrived in the UK on 24Oct10, which means we can apply anytime between 28Sep12 and expiry date in Jan2013 (we have secured a PEO appointment for late October).

As I understand it, if either parent of a child is British at the time the child was born, he/she is automatically a British Citizen so no ILR application is required.

I think it is ok for the spouse that is NOT the one on the spouse visa to claim any benefit he/she is entitled to.

I will be interested to know what proof of accommodation others have submitted, if any.
Yes I have been collecting all bills/statements addressed to me an/or my wife over the last 2 years although some bills are quartely/biannually. I wasnt thinking of providing photos and to be honest I dont have any availalble to use in the application. Also they dont ask for it neither on the appplication form so I may include them.

proof of accomodation??? Is that required??? or is it just if you are renting or paying a mortgage. By the way, I am living at home rent free with my parents who own the house. so what do I need to provide?

imranh

Post by imranh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Any further advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm

one more question along with those I posted in my original post.

how/where should I apply? what the difference between post/premium/super permium? (apart from the costs of course :) )

please dont forget to answer my original post

Many Thanks

AcrossBorders

Post by AcrossBorders » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I have similar questions to ImranH - instead of creating a new topic, I thought if someone can help answer his questions it should help others.

Are accommodation documents required

The date of application is 28 days before expiry / entry to uk

differences in the ways to apply

imranh

Post by imranh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi guys

If we can have some help and advice it would be greatly appreciated please :)

Many Thanks

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 pm

imranh wrote:one more question along with those I posted in my original post.

how/where should I apply? what the difference between post/premium/super permium? (apart from the costs of course :) )

Many Thanks
Apart from cost, it is the actual turnaround time. Postal is a good few months. Premium is, in theory, same day service. Super-premium is for those eligible candidates with 6000 £ to throw away.

UKBA website has all the information on the 'where' part of your question.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

imranh

Post by imranh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:17 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:
imranh wrote:one more question along with those I posted in my original post.

Many Thanks
Apart from cost, it is the actual turnaround time. Postal is a good few months. Premium is, in theory, same day service. Super-premium is for those eligible candidates with 6000 £ to throw away.

UKBA website has all the information on the 'where' part of your question.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated - are you able to answer my questions in the first post please?

Many Thanks (as time is running out !!!!!!!! :))

imranh

Post by imranh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 pm

come on guys........there must be someone out there who can advise me and others in a similar situation - please answer my questions in my OP?

jdbatty
Newly Registered

Post by jdbatty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Regarding proof of accommodation when living with relatives etc., Page 24 of SET(M) (version 09/2012), states that "if you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the 2-year period, please provide a letter from the relative(s) and / or friend(s) confirming this".

We recently applied for ILR using SET(M) at the Croydon PEO The caseworker made no explicit request for proof of accommodation. This could be because it is fairly obvious from the utility bills, council tax notice and bank statements in our names showing monthly mortgage payments.

The key takeaway from my appointment was that the caseworker was really keen on getting a good spread of dates in the submitted documents ( letters, statements & bills ) .