ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A mixed bag of FLR(M) questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

meggo
Newly Registered
Canada

A mixed bag of FLR(M) questions

Post by meggo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Hello,

I'm new here but have lurked for awhile trying to find answers to various questions along my journey!

I have an in-person appointment in just under two weeks in Croydon and am finishing off the paper application and can't seem to find an answer to these questions either online, on these boards or the UKBA (surprise surprise on the last one!) so if anyone could advise, it would be much appreciated. Likewise, apologies if these have been covered elsewhere and I just didn't see them.

These are very random so if you could help with even one - much obliged!

Just for reference, I'm applying as an unmarried partner and transitioning from a PSW in country.
  • - One of the early questions (I think 5.2) asks 'when did you enter the UK' - does this mean when did I most recently enter the UK, when did my current authorization to enter the UK start, when did I first ever enter the UK or ?!
  • - I was interning awhile (had a full time job which I quit to build experience in another sector) and then out of work while job hunting. I've been in my current role for 3 months, but my partner has been in his for 2+ years. Therefore, we are applying under category A for finances - this is correct?
  • - Does the most recent bank statements have to be issued within a month of the appointment? I ordered my bank statements before I booked my appointment, and the last complete statement I have is for August but my appointment is in 2 weeks. Is this okay, or do we need to have September bank statements too?
  • - We have been together for over 5 years, and lived together for 3.5-4 of those years (though not all in the UK, and once separated by a 3 month gap). With the documents, should we provide more than 6 which cover as much of the span of our relationship as possible, or is the past 2 years fine? Sorry I know this is a common question and yet I can't seem to recall the answer
  • - Finally (phew!) - with an in person appointment is it likely you get issued your visa on the same day? I know it's dependent on circumstance, but I would say we have a generally straightforward case (I'm Canadian, we've been together for over 5 years, I've done my MSc. here, we've lived at our most recent address for over 2 years, etc.) or does it usually still take awhile?
Thank you to everyone for any help you can provide!

meggo
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by meggo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Hate to bump but I think I can answer all my questions above by overcompensating (bring 12 months worth of payslips, most recent bank statements, etc.)

But we just realized my partner has a holiday booked the weekend following my appointment (men - do they never think of these things in advance? :evil:). I still can't find good answers on whether it's likely our visa will be processed in a single day, provided we have all the materials on us? He needs his passport to travel to France - if they are able to take a copy, will they give the original back even if they don't issue the visa that day?

Also - does he have to come with me in person? I was under the impression I was supposed to come alone (as per the email saying they would see me and only me and I saw nothing about this is any guidance) and looking at threads on other boards about PEO appointments, people say the spouse/partner/sponsor is supposed to be with you in person or else you need a letter?! This is the first application and not an extension.

I would be very grateful for any help....this category seems so complicated compared to the others I've been in :(

panther80
inactive

Post by panther80 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:10 pm

If he needs his passport and to be on the safe side, you should get his first page of the passport attested at the issuing country's embassy in London, if they have one.

If you read the Guidance Notes, you will find this information. You could persuade the Case Worker on the day of your interview, that your partner needs to travel and needs the Passport and if they could accept the attested copy.

If the case is straight forward, then the decision is likely to be made on the same day but it all depends on the individual circumstances and the CW dealing with your case.

meggo
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by meggo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks panther. I have read the guidance notes but some things are not clear and obviously he wasn't paying attention when he booked his holiday - it's just for the weekend with an old mate. Not sure what you mean about his passport....he's British so there's no way for it to notarized at an embassy...

We have a straightforward application so I think we'll be fine with getting the passport back, I just wish I had seen that he needed to be with me at the appointment. I've looked at official UKBA guidance and haven't seen anything on this....

panther80
inactive

Post by panther80 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Then I think it is just a matter of persuasion with the CW to return the passport, in case they are unable to make a decision on the same day, which is unlikely for straight forward applications.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:28 pm

A solicitor can legally certify the passport. He should attend with you (the form is badly written). In fact if you're unable to attend, you'll need to submit a letter explaining the reason for his absence.
To ensure the application goes smoothly, make sure you have sufficient documented evidence that you've been living together 'in a relation akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years. The case worker will be looking for documents/bills etc showing joint commitment that one would expect to find in a marriage...not simply a 'boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. The 3 month gap is acceptable.

You must submit bank statements which are no more than 1 month out of date. i.e You'll need the September statement.

meggo
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by meggo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks Casa. I just don't know how I missed this info about him attending the appointment but it should be fine....

I'll try and get the bank to print off the most recent statement and stamp it as they won't officially issue a paper statement for September yet :roll: as far as I'm aware, that's acceptable to UKBA.

We have been together for over 5 years, across 2 countries and have joint financial commitments (though no joint bank account - we prefer to keep it separate) so I don't envision this being a problem? We've lived together at our current address for over 2 years, and lived together at other addresses for 2 years so other than that, I'm not sure how they distinguish between 'unmarried partner' and 'boyfriend/girlfriend'....

meggo
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by meggo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Sorry didn't realize I shouldn't post questions outside this topic so I have question about my upcoming appointment....

I've got my FLR(M) appointment in a couple days and just realized that I don't have payslips from an internship I completed earlier this year.

I interned from Nov. 2011-mid February 2012 (so 3.4-5 months) but was paid expenses only which amounted to about 200 quid a month. I have one payslip from this time period and no other P60 etc. I wasn't taxed as obviously I was below the tax threshold - do I need to provide evidence of this pay?

My partner's annual salary is more than enough to meet the min. maintanence requirements and we are applying under category A so these "funds" (which is being generous) from interning wouldn't even count towards meeting the min requirements.I can't even find my contract (seriously I hold onto these things for 'safe keeping' and there must be a magical place in my flat where all important paper is stored that I can't seem to find....).

Any advice is much appreciated!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 pm

meggo wrote:I interned from Nov. 2011-mid February 2012 (so 3.4-5 months) but was paid expenses only which amounted to about 200 quid a month. I have one payslip from this time period and no other P60 etc. I wasn't taxed as obviously I was below the tax threshold - do I need to provide evidence of this pay?
You were reimbursed for the expenses you made .... payment in lieu of expenses is not "income/pay".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

meggo
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by meggo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for your quick response- that's what I thought.

My concern was that if I don't report this role, it will look like a massive gap in my work history. I'm employed full time right now (3 months+) but without that experience listed it will look like a gap of 8 months between jobs.