ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizneship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jellybean123
Newly Registered

Citizneship ceremony

Post by Jellybean123 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34 am

Can anyone please tell me what to expect at my ceremony? What was your experience? What's the dress code, etc....

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Citizneship ceremony

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:06 am

Jellybean123 wrote:Can anyone please tell me what to expect at my ceremony? What was your experience? What's the dress code, etc....
The whole thing is pretty straightforward, but there are some minor differences between the councils. Give them a call beforehand if you ewant to be sure about the exact procedure.

When you arrive, your details will be verified, then the ceremony begins. Usually, there will first be a few speeches by important figures (local councillors/MP, the mayor, sometimes previous participants,...) then you will ask to say (usually repeat after a speaker) the oath or the affirmation of allegiance (whichever you prefer). Then everyone takes the pledge (see here for more information on all three). Depending on the council, you receive a few gifts (and maybe more speeches) and then quickly move on to the drinks - finally! ;-)

Technically, you can dress everyway you like. While most people seem to dress semi-formal (which I would very much recommend), neither blue jeans/t-shirt nor three-piece suit are unheard off.

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 am

since i will be going to work after, i will be going in my work attire (not a suit but maybe a tailored trouser and a shirt with cardigan and pumps or boots depending on the weather). i hope i will fit in.

Jellybean123
Newly Registered

Re: ceremony

Post by Jellybean123 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 am

I was thinking of taking the day off work. Im thinking of going in chinos, shirt and pumps wonder if that's casual and formal enough?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Treat it as a normal day out

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Citizneship ceremony

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:Technically, you can dress everyway you like. While most people seem to dress semi-formal (which I would very much recommend), neither blue jeans/t-shirt nor three-piece suit are unheard off.
Just came across this photo-stream and thought you might find it interesting and helpful, as it shows a couple of pictures from an actual ceremony. If you use an according Google picture search for it, you get even more pictures. As you can see, there are all kinds of dresses, most of them semi-formal, some in traditional local costumes, some very casual. Pick something you feel comfortable in.