ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fees expense from settlement visa to settlement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frustratedbrit

Fees expense from settlement visa to settlement

Post by frustratedbrit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:22 pm

I am thinking of applying for a settlement visa for my wife and her 6-year-old child. Can I just check - we need to pay fees for the first application, and then again for a second application after 2.5 years, and then again for a final application after 5 years? So that's 800 + 800 = 1,600 GBP each time we apply, i.e. 1,600 * 3 = 4,800 GBP overall?

And what happens if, say, the final application fails? To apply again, would we have to start again, going through another 5 year process and paying another 4,800 GBP? Or would we just have to make the final application again?

Also, do you know how much it is to appeal against a settlement visa decision? And would we have to pay this appeal fee twice (i.e. once for wife + once for child)?

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

anyone?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Fees expense from settlement visa to settlement

Post by geriatrix » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Every applicant needs to pay the associated fees for each immigration application that they make. So yes, in general one will pay for settlement visa, then extension of stay, and then settlement.
frustratedbrit wrote:And what happens if, say, the final application fails? To apply again, would we have to start again, going through another 5 year process and paying another 4,800 GBP? Or would we just have to make the final application again?
Depends on the reasons for refusal of final (settlement) application. e.g. - if final application is refused for having unspent convictions, another final application will also fail and so one must apply for extension(s) as many times until such time that the conviction becomes spent.
frustratedbrit wrote:Also, do you know how much it is to appeal against a settlement visa decision? And would we have to pay this appeal fee twice (i.e. once for wife + once for child)?
Immigration and Appeals Tribunal fees guidance
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks for that.

So what happens if, say, the final application (after 5 years) gets refused because my income doesn't meet the threshold (22,400 GBP)? If an appeal failed, would we have to go through the entire 5-year process again, or could we just apply for the final stage?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 am

In that case your family will have to leave UK and start all over again.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Wow, that's really extreme. Imagine if I was without a job for just a few months at the wrong time. Anyway, thanks.