ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After October 2013 (B1 English and Life in UK test)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

st pauli

After October 2013 (B1 English and Life in UK test)

Post by st pauli » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi, exactly which visas will require B1 English and LITUK test after this time, does it also include Fiancee Visas and Spouse Visas, or is it just ILR or FLR?

If it includes spouse visas how will those people who obtained their fiancee visa before the changes, and apply for spouse visa after it be treated?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:05 pm

ILR. See Appendix E.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Majority of the people coming on Spouse VISA have done IELTS and due to the way these were treated by UKBA only a B1 level was considered to meet the English Language requirements (only IELTS).

However the problem is that people who obtained IELTS or other qualifications which has 2 years or below validity will have to redo these tests because by the time you reach the ILR stage your avlidity period would have expired :(
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm

sushdmehta wrote:ILR. See Appendix E.
Thanks, that's good to know.
harv wrote:Majority of the people coming on Spouse VISA have done IELTS and due to the way these were treated by UKBA only a B1 level was considered to meet the English Language requirements (only IELTS).

However the problem is that people who obtained IELTS or other qualifications which has 2 years or below validity will have to redo these tests because by the time you reach the ILR stage your avlidity period would have expired :(
You mean only an A1 level? That is what's currently required for both partner visas..or you mean they treated IELTS as easier and demanded a better score or something?

I think my partner if we go the visa route is taking an ESOL exam rather than IELTS, due to accessibility near her.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 pm

If you are taking the test and are comfortable with English why not aim for B1 level on a valid for life certification. I think ESOL is just that and has no expiry on the certificates.

So when the time comes for ILR you do not have to re do the test again.

Having said that 5 years is a long time and redoing would be easier. However with 2 years probation period it defenitely makes sense to have done it that way. Who knew this new rule was going to be implemented.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm

harv wrote:If you are taking the test and are comfortable with English why not aim for B1 level on a valid for life certification. I think ESOL is just that and has no expiry on the certificates.

So when the time comes for ILR you do not have to re do the test again.

Having said that 5 years is a long time and redoing would be easier. However with 2 years probation period it defenitely makes sense to have done it that way. Who knew this new rule was going to be implemented.
Yeah ESOL is valid for life. The lowest you can aim for on it is A2, this is what my partner will be doing. B1 is actually a rather advanced level of language, relatively speaking. After 2.5 years I don't think she'd have any problems though, I was confident I could get her there even if it was in just 6 months of living together. Once you are in a country where the target language is spoken 24/7 it's a much easier ball game.