ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR postal applications (excluding 10/14 yr.)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stanny359
Newly Registered

Travel whilst SET M in process

Post by stanny359 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi All,

Ok here goes.

My wife's SET(M) and one dependant is currently under review. We used the checking service and therefore my wife still has all her travel documents. My wife's current is now expired as expected as the application is under review. However she is currently pregnant and due in Dec to give birth. We want her to return home for the birth of our child because we have a close family there who will help with childcare duties in the first few weeks. Therefore do you think the UKBA would allow my wife to travel without her application been withdrawn?

Cheers

Neil

Baxx

Post by Baxx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:02 pm

I cannot agree with you more. I have applied postally knowing I need to wait more or less for 6 months, and it is said clearly so everywhere I looked that waiting is more or less for 6 months. Really don't understand some folks here applied at the same time or just before me (August) are panicking already. I understand special circumstances and emergencies do arise, but we need to earn this privileges and waiting is just a part of that, when not paying the premium fee.

I am just happy that I can still work, leave the house whenever I want, rather than being housebound and jobless like a cell mate. Will probably be panicking if nothing comes back after about 7 months, but till then life goes on with minor boundaries.

Good luck to all!

Leekybob wrote:Indeed I don't disagree that we "shouldn't" have to put up with the way this system works, but as you go through life you realise there are things that you can change and there are things that you are unable to change. For those things that you can't change then there is no point moaning about and getting upset about but instead try to work around them. As this forum shows, and as the ukba published processing times show, they aim to process most within 6 months, and do warn not to make any travel arrangements... so when applying for the privilege of the right to remain in the UK for an indefinite period of time it's really a small sacrifice to bear in the grand scheme of things isn't it?!... and one who's processing times are not a secret, so we know what to expect.
My wife and I are the same as everyone else, having to wait... my gripe is with people panicking on here when they've not received their documents/ILR before their turn has come.
All will be ok in the end I'm sure... just have patience instead of anger.

pareshchop
Newly Registered

Post by pareshchop » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 pm

I agree that getting angry will get us nowhere. However my concern is the complete lack of information from an organization which is supposed to be making thorough checks on each of our applications.

the least we should expect for such fees and timelines is a simple website where you punch in your application reference and they tell you your application is 100th or 200th or 1000th in queue. That is all that I (we) need to know.

SouthLondon
Newly Registered

Post by SouthLondon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:32 pm

I agree- it is simply outrageous. Apart from paying loads of tax, we cover far more than the processing cost of the applications. It is impossible for many people to get an appointment for the premium service, even if you want to pay. There is no excuse for this level of service.
pareshchop wrote:I agree that getting angry will get us nowhere. However my concern is the complete lack of information from an organization which is supposed to be making thorough checks on each of our applications.

the least we should expect for such fees and timelines is a simple website where you punch in your application reference and they tell you your application is 100th or 200th or 1000th in queue. That is all that I (we) need to know.

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 pm

...as I said before - being angry and moaning on a forum will change nothing. It is good that people can vent themselves on here - but really if you look at the hsitory on this particularly long forum there is no amount of complaining or moaning that hasn't been heard before.

Of course we all know that their 'system' is inadequate and the simplest of tracking systems that could very simply and inexpensively be implemented would give all us applicants a lifeline and a sense of control, but at present there isn't such a thing. So perhaps people should share their experiences, advice, timelines and help to reassure one another, and share any contact details to use when the 6 months is up and you've not received anything.

Baxx

Post by Baxx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 pm

I said the same things when I first applied for my university course in UK. Back then local student not only paid nothing to attend uni, but also they had grants so they can go shopping or take drugs with it (well students around me did.) When I complained and argued about extortionate tuition fees all the Britons told me that I deserve to pay that much because I/my family have not been paying UK tax until I came over (at the age of 18 yrs.)

If that kind of fee is justifiable while all British universities thrived, building state of art IT facilities and luxurious student accommodations with OUR money, then charging us 1000 quid for VISA applications so we can stay here permanently is TOTALLY justifiable. I am not defending UKBA or British government, but only explaining where this logic comes from.

We live in a country where customer service is notoriously bad, we pay this fee and expect the minimum care in return. It is probably suffice it to say that as long as we get the desired result in said time then we should just be happy.

Again, good luck to all.
SouthLondon wrote:I agree- it is simply outrageous. Apart from paying loads of tax, we cover far more than the processing cost of the applications. It is impossible for many people to get an appointment for the premium service, even if you want to pay. There is no excuse for this level of service.
pareshchop wrote:I agree that getting angry will get us nowhere. However my concern is the complete lack of information from an organization which is supposed to be making thorough checks on each of our applications.

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 pm

The costs of the visas are of course expensive. This I feel in part is limit the amount of people who want to become a resident here and to consider this privilege seriously. Otherwise everyone would apply to stay here if it was both cheap and easy to do!
"Outrageous" would be the term I would use if the majority of applications were not decided within their advertised processing times, but they are, so it shouldn't be a shock if it takes 6 months.
In terms of "paying loads of tax"... there is of course an alternative if you have a complaint about living by the rules in the country you are applying for residency in, simply leave, and then you won't have to pay in to the system. Note however that there are higher income tax bands in other places in the world.
That said - yes - the system could and should be better, and there should be at least the most basic tracking system, this I don't disagree with - but seriously, quit the complaining like the world owes you something and you are so 'hard done by', you are one of the lucky ones who has the opportunity to live and work in this wonderful country.
SouthLondon wrote:I agree- it is simply outrageous. Apart from paying loads of tax, we cover far more than the processing cost of the applications. It is impossible for many people to get an appointment for the premium service, even if you want to pay. There is no excuse for this level of service.

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Baxx - you speak sense. :)

Unfortunately anyone who has any wisdom and maturity knows that life is not always 'fair'. Unfortunately the term 'fair' is too often used selfishly and relative only to ourselves, rather than relative to things that are happening to others elsewhere in the world at this very moment. If you think of those unimaginable situations taking place with innocent lives right now, I think you might agree that waiting for a visa to come through is nothing in comparison... applicants can still live here, travel around the UK freely, and work...
Baxx wrote:I said the same things when I first applied for my university course in UK. Back then local student not only paid nothing to attend uni, but also they had grants so they can go shopping or take drugs with it (well students around me did.) When I complained and argued about extortionate tuition fees all the Britons told me that I deserve to pay that much because I/my family have not been paying UK tax until I came over (at the age of 18 yrs.)

If that kind of fee is justifiable while all British universities thrived, building state of art IT facilities and luxurious student accommodations with OUR money, then charging us 1000 quid for VISA applications so we can stay here permanently is TOTALLY justifiable. I am not defending UKBA or British government, but only explaining where this logic comes from.

We live in a country where customer service is notoriously bad, we pay this fee and expect the minimum care in return. It is probably suffice it to say that as long as we get the desired result in said time then we should just be happy.

Again, good luck to all.

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Re: Travel whilst SET M in process

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Neil - to be honest, I'd love to say that they would hurry up the application, or allow you to travel before the visa comes through, but from the information that I've come across on here I doubt that would be the case. If it was me I think I'd be tempted not to even contact them at all unless 'really' desperate! It seems some people who've contacted them through their MP suggested this may have even slowed their application down... but of course every situation is different... who knows! When did you apply? Perhaps it will be with you before you need to go anyway... although I know this doesn't help planning things unfortunately! :( ..good luck though!
stanny359 wrote:Hi All,

Ok here goes.

My wife's SET(M) and one dependant is currently under review. We used the checking service and therefore my wife still has all her travel documents. My wife's current is now expired as expected as the application is under review. However she is currently pregnant and due in Dec to give birth. We want her to return home for the birth of our child because we have a close family there who will help with childcare duties in the first few weeks. Therefore do you think the UKBA would allow my wife to travel without her application been withdrawn?

Cheers

Neil

stanny359
Newly Registered

Post by stanny359 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

WE applied using the checking service in Manchester in July as was told this would mean it was quicker around 7-10 weeks in total they said. Until now we haven't had our biometrics letter and my wife would need to fly by the end of October.

Leekybob wrote:Neil - to be honest, I'd love to say that they would hurry up the application, or allow you to travel before the visa comes through, but from the information that I've come across on here I doubt that would be the case. If it was me I think I'd be tempted not to even contact them at all unless 'really' desperate! It seems some people who've contacted them through their MP suggested this may have even slowed their application down... but of course every situation is different... who knows! When did you apply? Perhaps it will be with you before you need to go anyway... although I know this doesn't help planning things unfortunately! :( ..good luck though!

Ok here goes.

Cheers

Neil

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeh - if I'd paid extra and used the checking service I would definitely have expected it to go through quicker, however, I've seen many others on here that used that service and it literally took the same length of time as if they hadn't used it. It sounds strange that you haven't had the biometrics invitation by now though... have you tried calling them? There are some numbers people have put on here that you can get through on i think. Did you receive a letter saying they'd received your application after it went off... and the payment was taken?
stanny359 wrote:WE applied using the checking service in Manchester in July as was told this would mean it was quicker around 7-10 weeks in total they said. Until now we haven't had our biometrics letter and my wife would need to fly by the end of October.

Leekybob wrote:Neil - to be honest, I'd love to say that they would hurry up the application, or allow you to travel before the visa comes through, but from the information that I've come across on here I doubt that would be the case. If it was me I think I'd be tempted not to even contact them at all unless 'really' desperate! It seems some people who've contacted them through their MP suggested this may have even slowed their application down... but of course every situation is different... who knows! When did you apply? Perhaps it will be with you before you need to go anyway... although I know this doesn't help planning things unfortunately! :( ..good luck though!

Ok here goes.

Cheers

Neil

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:39 pm

When you say she still has her documents, does that mean her passport? I suppose (although a risk?) she could travel there on current passport, and when the visa comes through in the UK get someone to send it over to you so you can use it on your return?... Perhaps???
stanny359 wrote:WE applied using the checking service in Manchester in July as was told this would mean it was quicker around 7-10 weeks in total they said. Until now we haven't had our biometrics letter and my wife would need to fly by the end of October.

Ok here goes.

Cheers

Neil
[/quote]

stanny359
Newly Registered

Post by stanny359 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

We have had the ackowledgment letter as we got that on the 13th Aug and payment was taken about the same time. Since then nothing. I don't mind waiting but would at least like to know where our application is in teh never ending system
Leekybob wrote:Yeh - if I'd paid extra and used the checking service I would definitely have expected it to go through quicker, however, I've seen many others on here that used that service and it literally took the same length of time as if they hadn't used it. It sounds strange that you haven't had the biometrics invitation by now though... have you tried calling them? There are some numbers people have put on here that you can get through on i think. Did you receive a letter saying they'd received your application after it went off... and the payment was taken?

Ok here goes.

Cheers

Neil
:) :) :)

stanny359
Newly Registered

Post by stanny359 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 pm

yes we still have her passport as you don't send this when using the checking service. I suppose i will have to call and ask the question then and see what confused answer i get of the agent on the other end of the phone :-)
stanny359 wrote:We have had the ackowledgment letter as we got that on the 13th Aug and payment was taken about the same time. Since then nothing. I don't mind waiting but would at least like to know where our application is in teh never ending system
Leekybob wrote:Yeh - if I'd paid extra and used the checking service I would definitely have expected it to go through quicker, however, I've seen many others on here that used that service and it literally took the same length of time as if they hadn't used it. It sounds strange that you haven't had the biometrics invitation by now though... have you tried calling them? There are some numbers people have put on here that you can get through on i think. Did you receive a letter saying they'd received your application after it went off... and the payment was taken?

Leekybob
Newly Registered

Post by Leekybob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Good luck with that... and let us know how you get on... :roll:
stanny359 wrote:yes we still have her passport as you don't send this when using the checking service. I suppose i will have to call and ask the question then and see what confused answer i get of the agent on the other end of the phone :-)
stanny359 wrote:We have had the ackowledgment letter as we got that on the 13th Aug and payment was taken about the same time. Since then nothing. I don't mind waiting but would at least like to know where our application is in teh never ending system

ideanokia6500

Post by ideanokia6500 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 am

fsixteen wrote:Is there anyone got a biometric letter for July application ?

i think,not so far
i applied on 6th
acknowledgement 26th july
biometric..........waiting
HI

ILRstress
Newly Registered

Post by ILRstress » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:00 am

Yes, I applied on the 11th of July and got my biometric invitation on the 10th of September.

littlelamb
Newly Registered

Post by littlelamb » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 pm

littlelamb wrote:
thedesihunter wrote:
littlelamb wrote:
speed14 wrote:
There doesn't seem to be consistency for times taken. We have a friend who applied around the same time as us and got his BRP letter yesterday. Does anyone know how its allocated to case workers? Doesn't seem to be a linear system.

Trying not to stress, but its hard not to!
Hi Littlelamb,
One correction actually i applied on 09-06-2012 so quite behind on BRP letter. I thought uptill BRP process should be standardized so we should all have received BRP in similar time period regardless of complexity of individual case, may be i am wrong and its all depends on grace of UKBA.
Yes it seems there is no consistancy - must depend on which team they are distributed to.

Good luck too!

I applied in the last week of June Guys and got Bio metrics invitation last week. Following different timelimes on the forum, I have noticed the average time for Biometrics Invitation letter is between 8-11 weeks depending on how busy UKBA are. I hope you get yours soon.
Hi all,

just got a letter back from UKBA saying we hadn't filled out section 9 correctly - missed a few questions. So have to send the form back with them answered.

Pissed off as we payed a lawyer to help fill out the form - this is not the first mistake they've made either! :evil:

Another delay in the process, I just hope it all gets sorted!!!

The whole thing is stressful!

:([/quote]

Just got the Biometric letter. 3 and half month wait for that. Relief. Hang in there people waiting - it can take some time.

littlelamb
Newly Registered

Post by littlelamb » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm

ideanokia6500 wrote:
fsixteen wrote:Is there anyone got a biometric letter for July application ?

i think,not so far
i applied on 6th
acknowledgement 26th july
biometric..........waiting

just got biometrics today, acknowledgement letter from 20 June. depends on what office it got farmed out to. ours was liverpool. you can ring the number on top right corner of the acknowledgement letter, option 4 then 1 to find out if your biometrics request has been sent yet. hang in there!

nikon
Newly Registered

Post by nikon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 pm

discovered this board recently, thanks all who helped me to understand time scales.

my current application:
application sent: 21/05/2012
biometric & done: 1/06/2012
result: waiting

ideanokia6500

Post by ideanokia6500 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 pm

ILRstress wrote:Yes, I applied on the 11th of July and got my biometric invitation on the 10th of September.
it's strange
u so luckyyy
HI

tower
Newly Registered

Post by tower » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:36 am

[quote="ideanokia6500"][quote="ILRstress"]Yes, I applied on the 11th of July and got my biometric invitation on the 10th of September.[/quote]

it's strange
u so luckyyy[/quote]

I also applied 10th Jul Set(0) Hsmp+Tire1 and got the Biomatric today(12th Oct) issued on the 9th Oct.(after 3 months!!!!)

fsixteen

Post by fsixteen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:10 pm

tower wrote:
ideanokia6500 wrote:
ILRstress wrote:Yes, I applied on the 11th of July and got my biometric invitation on the 10th of September.
it's strange
u so luckyyy
I also applied 10th Jul Set(0) Hsmp+Tire1 and got the Biomatric today(12th Oct) issued on the 9th Oct.(after 3 months!!!!)

Good news. It seems, we are going to receive biometric letter very soon.

Hua Ling
Newly Registered

Post by Hua Ling » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:14 pm

SET M Sent 19/6/2012
Biometrics done 15/08/12

Still waiting!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

prince1108
Newly Registered

Post by prince1108 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 am

DATE OF APPLICATION SET (M) - 15-06-12
acknowledgement recieved - 21-06-12

Biometric Letter recieved - 20-08-12
Biometric done on the same day !!

Now waiting for final decision.

I am silent reader of this forum and it is really helpful. Please keep updating.

Wish you all the very best.

Regards
Prince