ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can visa exp date b beyond pasport exp date ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vitalik
Newly Registered

can visa exp date b beyond pasport exp date ?

Post by vitalik » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:47 am

hi

could anyone tell me....
my NON-EU passport expires in Feb 2008 would home office normally curtail the any visa given to fit the pasport expiration date or would they give it as normal whatever the circumstances suggest regardless of passport expiration.

i was given a visa that expires in Feb 2008 too so i was just wondering if it is just a coincidence or the limit they had to put because of my passport is expiring in that month too.

thanks

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am

That's a good question. I don't know, but I'm interested to hear the answer as well. I may have to renew my LTR before I can renew my Canadian passport.

One would think that the HO would make the sticker valid for as long as circumstances allow, not just based on the validity of the passport. It would then be the responsibility of the migrant to either pay the fee to transfer the visa to his/her new passport or carry both passports whenever s/he leaves or enters the UK.

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:17 am

That's a funny one...I have friends whose visa were issued regardless of their passport's expiry dates and also some were issued until the expire date of their passports. As usual there is no consistency in Home Office for this practice. It depends on the officer who issues the visa.

If the visa is issued until the expire date of the passport then you need to apply again for visa once you extended your passport's expire date...

g. luck

Jeff Albright

Re: can visa exp date b beyond pasport exp date ?

Post by Jeff Albright » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:31 am

vitalik wrote: i was given a visa that expires in Feb 2008 too so i was just wondering if it is just a coincidence or the limit they had to put because of my passport is expiring in that month too.
The expiry date of your passport and visa are two different things. The duration of your leave to remain may not be restricted by the validity period of your passport.
Your passport could be expiring in Feb 2008, your visa - in February 2100. It means that when you are renewing your passport, your visa is still in force. You can transfer it to the new passport for an appropriate fee, if you wish. The information how to do that is given on the IND website.
Alternatively, if you plan to go outside the country, then return, show both your new passport and your old passport to an immigration officer, who will place an appropriate stamp in your new passport.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Well put it this way...people are issued with indefinite leave to remain without passports that are indefinite.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

stedman

Post by stedman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Jeff Albright wrote: The expiry date of your passport and visa are two different things. The duration of your leave to remain may not be restricted by the validity period of your passport.
Your passport could be expiring in Feb 2008, your visa - in February 2100. It means that when you are renewing your passport, your visa is still in force. You can transfer it to the new passport for an appropriate fee, if you wish. The information how to do that is given on the IND website.
Alternatively, if you plan to go outside the country, then return, show both your new passport and your old passport to an immigration officer, who will place an appropriate stamp in your new passport.
Yup, I once got a 3 year visa even though my passport expired 5 months later, which was very inconvenient for me - ended up going abroad with both old and new passports and avoided a dreary trip to the H/O!

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:55 pm

stedman wrote: Yup, I once got a 3 year visa even though my passport expired 5 months later, which was very inconvenient for me - ended up going abroad with both old and new passports and avoided a dreary trip to the H/O!
Yes, this is what I meant as one of the options

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:30 pm

I rang up the HO today and asked them this question. The fellow there said that there was a difference between being granted a limited leave and an indefinite leave in a passport. On the most basic level, he said that transferring the visa to a new passport required the TOC form for LTR and the NTL form for ILR. I thought that that was a bit bureaucratic, but that's how it is.

When I asked him about just carrying the two passports, he said that was possible, but for LTR, that was "outside standard procedure". He said that IOs can hold you up in immigration to make specific enquiries. Whilst he said he didn't want to alarm me, he said it would probably be best all around simply to renew your passport early before getting FLR or submit a TOC form afterwards.

I guess that is all common sense, perhaps. The interesting bit is that carrying two passports seems fine if you've got ILR. It's a bit more risky with just LTR.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:51 pm

RobinLondon wrote:I rang up the HO today and asked them this question. The fellow there said that there was a difference between being granted a limited leave and an indefinite leave in a passport. On the most basic level, he said that transferring the visa to a new passport required the TOC form for LTR and the NTL form for ILR. I thought that that was a bit bureaucratic, but that's how it is.

When I asked him about just carrying the two passports, he said that was possible, but for LTR, that was "outside standard procedure". He said that IOs can hold you up in immigration to make specific enquiries. Whilst he said he didn't want to alarm me, he said it would probably be best all around simply to renew your passport early before getting FLR or submit a TOC form afterwards.

I guess that is all common sense, perhaps. The interesting bit is that carrying two passports seems fine if you've got ILR. It's a bit more risky with just LTR.
Yeah I can confirm that I have successfully reentered the UK twice now with my ILR sticker in my previously cancelled passport without any problems whatsoever.

Here's my account:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=9854
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.