ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Criminal convictions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

littlebush

Criminal convictions

Post by littlebush » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 am

Hi

When applying for Citizenship, what kind of conviction is held against the applicant when applying.
My wife got a fine from court for using the wrong train ticket, would this go against her?
If so, what are the consequences, a delay in being able to apply?

Thanks

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Criminal convictions

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:31 am

littlebush wrote:When applying for Citizenship, what kind of conviction is held against the applicant when applying.
My wife got a fine from court for using the wrong train ticket, would this go against her?
If so, what are the consequences, a delay in being able to apply?
The problem is that the whole thing went to court. It therefore resulted in a formal conviction, which will adversly affect any application. That being said, it appears to be a fairly small conviction, and your wife can request mitigating circumstances. The central passage in the caseworkers manual relating to this question is: "Caseworkers should normally refuse an individual who has an unspent conviction, however there is discretion to overlook some minor one-off offences. (...) Where the applicant is of good character in all other respects caseworkers should normally be prepared to overlook a single minor unspent conviction resulting in: (...) a relatively small fine or compensation order." However, be aware that if the caseworker refuses leniency and does not disregard this conviction, your wife's application will fail and over £800 application fee will be lost. Personally, I think it would be unlikely in this case, but it is not impossible. The safest route would be to wait until the conviction will be spent.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Criminal convictions

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:31 pm

littlebush wrote:My wife got a fine from court for using the wrong train ticket
What court was that? A county court or magistrate's court or .... ?
And explain the sequence of events that lead to the matter (offence) being dealt with by a court.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!