ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for born abroad child - parents on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tonypetty

Post by tonypetty » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:56 am

Child under 13 is not subject to any qualifying residential period requirement for the purpose of registration as a British citizen.

Hi
I have ILR and my daughter have ILR as well. She is 11 years old... born outside UK...Can i apply for her BC(using MN form under section 3(1) at anytime and don't need to wait for fer 1 year qualifying period? or do you mean this is only correct if both or one parent already got BC?

I got this impression from above post...please guide me????
Last edited by tonypetty on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:06 am

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:59 am

tonypetty wrote:Child under 13 is not subject to any qualifying residential period requirement for the purpose of registration as a British citizen.

Hi
I have ILR and my daughter have ILR as well. She is 11 years old... born outside UK...Can i apply for her BC(using MN form under section 3(1) at anytime and don't need to wait for fer 1 year qualifying period? or do you mean this is only correct if both or one parent already got ILR?

I got this impression from above post...please guide me????
Just holding ILR by the parent is not enough.

See Q1 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Children.

tonypetty

Post by tonypetty » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Many thanks for both of you....I could not find my answer in this...From your experience can you please guide me ???

If for any reason either parents dont apply for nutralization at the completion of one year of ILR then can still non UK born child still apply for registration u/s 3(1) after one year of ILR independantly????? siblings already got BC and passports????????

Sorry to bother you both but could not find an answer in guidance

born abroad

If the child was born outside the UK, then once one parent applies for naturalisation, the child can apply for Registration under section 3(1). The is application at discretion and the HO would expect that the other parent to hold (or to be close to holding) a ILR/PR status.
For the guidelines on Registration at discretion see section 9.17 .

above is an answer from Q1 and this does not tell that if either parents dont apply for naturalization then can a child still apply for registration??? assuming both parents have ILR for more than a year...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:20 am

tonypetty wrote:If for any reason either parents dont apply for nutralization at the completion of one year of ILR then can still non UK born child still apply for registration u/s 3(1) after one year of ILR independantly????? siblings already got BC and passports????????
For the guidelines on Registration at discretion see section 9.17.
Follow the suggestion given. In particular read 9.17.9.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

tonypetty

Post by tonypetty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks sushdmehta

I think i got my answer....one parent have to naturalized first in order for non UK born child to be eligible for registration and other parent have to hold ILR